Inanimate Existence
A Never-Ending Cycle of Atonement

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (68 Reviews)
August 5th, 2014 | 40 replies

Release Date: 06/24/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Inanimate Existence offer penance for their fallen comrades.

Ironically, Inanimate Existence has had a short-lived yet very animate existence thus far. Formed only four years ago, this nouveau Californian death metal act already has two solid LPs under their belt and show no signs of slowing down. Their latest, A Never-Ending Cycle of Atonement, seems to be a meta representation of technical death metal as a whole. It’s a dense record, as well as a visceral one. Seldom are there moments of refrain, and even during these softer phrases there’s always a lingering sense of dread, knowing at any second a grisly riff will come barreling out of your speakers. Even the brief moments of melodic progression are layered in such a way that incites apprehension rather than tranquility. A fine example would be “Out of Body Experience,” which has abundant clean guitar textures and the only instance of clean vocals on the album. However, both elements are used as atmospheric constituents, making the track’s heavier moments seem as though they were always there, veiled under a false sense of security. Combine this with a superb production job and technically proficient musicians and you have the recipe for a fantastically ferocious metal album, and more importantly, an impactful one.

Sonically picking up where Anata and Gorod left off, Inanimate Existence don’t pull any punches. After a minute-long intro serving as the calm before the storm, the band grasp onto your auditory senses and drag them into a grimy abyss of maniacal riffing and unyielding blast-beat barrages. The recurring progressive overtones are exactly that – overtones; rarely the center of attention, but vaguely present throughout the long haul. A Never-Ending Cycle of Atonement is meta in the sense that it recognizes the never-ending cyclical nature of genre stereotypes – bands that regurgitate and rehash the same material without the slightest incentive of breaking new ground (i.e. Arch Enemy) – and Inanimate Existence offer penance for their contemporaries; a public display of atonement in a brutal 45-minute package.

Weezer MaladroitSeptycal Gorge Scourge of the Formless Breed
Xerath IIIWithin the Ruins Phenomena
Sonic Syndicate Sonic SyndicateOrigin Omnipresent

August 4th 2014

felt like this needed a write-up

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

August 4th 2014

Alright I see Suffocation (awesome) in the rec by review but I see Fallujah (not a fan...) in the related artists on the band page. Should I still give this a go?

Digging: Falls of Rauros - Believe in No Coming Shore

August 4th 2014

yeah id say this has more in common with suffocation than it does with fallujah

ExplosiveOranges
August 4th 2014

Short but sweet. Nice review, Ins. I might have to give this a go.

Digging: Winterfylleth - The Divination Of Antiquity

cool! I'm intrigued again :D

August 4th 2014

i wouldnt go in expecting something like early suffocation though, just because early suffo is so much better than most other dm

thanks EO, its good stuff

ExplosiveOranges
August 4th 2014

That definitely doesn't look like a death metal album cover, though.

its more black metalish

zaruyache
August 4th 2014

I came here specifically because the album cover made me think this was atmospheric bm. Still not disappointed by the music, though. I actually like this!

Digging: Ardour Loom - Demo

19918 Comments

Thought this was bm too haha

nice review tho Ins

Digging: Transit - Joyride

Kusangii
August 4th 2014

Excellent work, glad to see this finally got reviewed. Album is just brilliant, easily my AOTY so far

ScuroFantasma
August 4th 2014

Great review Ins. I really like the album art for some reason.

Digging: Horsehunter - Caged In Flesh

trilogique21
August 5th 2014

if it wasnt loud and compressed to shit this would be really god damn good

TheNotrap
August 5th 2014

The album has a nice concept and the music is interesting, specially the first half. Despite the filler instrumentals, their debut is also worth listening to.

Nice review.

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey

Gameofmetal

2009 Comments

Damn I was literally thinking last night that I should do a review of this.

Gameofmetal

2009 Comments

Not fond of super short reviews though. I like ones that goes into more detail but this is dece.

ADV123
August 5th 2014

I need to check this out badly...been meaning to forever.

19918 Comments

Sturm?

atari?

Damn I was literally thinking last night that I should do a review of this.

go for it man. i was surprised this didnt have one already

Thor