Violent Soho
Hungry Ghost

good

by jordan. CONTRIBUTOR (60 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2014 | 19 replies

Release Date: 09/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Casper with the Munchies

Australia isn't exactly well known for innovating music as much as providing it with a carefree, ***-you-attitude. In that spirit, Brisbane's Violent Soho aim to do little more than sing praise for weed and thrash about in a sound in debt to grunge, hardcore punk and Black Sabbath. Energy is generally what most of the songs rely on, with booming choruses encouraging reckless moshing on "Dope Calypso" and "Covered in Chrome", while "Saramona Said" provides some fairly unnecessary balladry in the middle of ...Ghost's pounding anthems. There's little confusing, opaque or gnomic about these guys, a factor that should generally appeal to a placid and stoned fanbase. Generally speaking, Violent Soho aren't a band ready to innovate or push boundaries, but their clear debt to Master of Reality and Superfuzz Bigmuff implies that they have a sense of fun running through their compositions. If that means Australian music will be confined to that of having a 'fun' reputation, then so be it, Violent Soho are 'fun' with a blunt hanging out the corner of its mouth. Go ahead and blaze it.

Julian Casablancas and The Voidz TyrannyGerard Way Hesitant Alien

blaze it

flush it

avonbarksdale221
August 1st 2014

These dudes are massive down here. That one song that says "HELL FUCK YEAH" is pretty cool I guess.

vegemite flush

August 1st 2014

Oz, continuing to be 15 years behind every other fucker when it comes to everything.
Gotta love em

August 1st 2014

I do, though I am afraid of funnel-webs

Ridiculous.
Dip the toes in the sea. Death.
Catch some rays in the garden. Death.
Go for a country walk. Death.
Seek employment by picking some fruit. Death.
Thank fuck for that a friendly human face, to take me away from this hostile wildlife. Death.

August 1st 2014

Word! No wonder Marsupialia flourish down under… they keep stuff safely tucked.

ExplosiveOranges
August 1st 2014

Today, we see Arcade utilizing his new contributor powers to turn a soundoff into a review.

Digging: Electric Wizard - Time to Die

tommygun

what avon said

hogan900
August 1st 2014

Glad someone reviewed this, I don't really like soundoff reviews but I guess this works.

August 1st 2014

my mate got stoned with these guys at big day out was wicked

Mordecai.
August 1st 2014

If that means Australian music will be confined to that of having a 'fun' reputation, then so be it...

I don't really agree with this. Although a lot of this 'fun' music is at the forefront of the Australian scene, there is plenty of innovative music coming out of Australia.

tempest--
August 2nd 2014

got into this band around the time of s/t then they released this and exploded it's pretty rad

Awesomesauce

Gotta love em

How are we supposed to know what's cool when they keep stopping the boats?

August 2nd 2014

stopping the boats is the main priority

WhiteNoise
August 2nd 2014

Fucking love this album, band is awesome live. Too bad my own band stole all their ideas.

24gadjet
September 10th 2014

Band is sort of allright, but music scene in Aus kind of sucks pretty hard. No one gets signed here unless they're hip/hop or below average deathcore/metalcore

Digging: Local Resident Failure - A Breath of Stale Air