Van Halen
1984

by Daniel Dias USER (73 Reviews)
July 29th, 2014 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Van Halen turns to a slightly more commercial side in order to release 1984, one of their best albums ever.

Van Halen's 5th studio release Diver Down turned out to be a somewhat controversial album. Featuring 5 cover songs and 3 introductory tracks in an album made up of 12 songs, many fans seemed unhappy while listening to Diver Down. Even if Diver Down wasn't bad by any means, the lack of original VH material in that album contributed to some fans' unhappiness. Fueled by the hit single (Oh) Pretty Woman, the album sold considerably well, though, even reaching Platinum status. After an extensive period of touring, the band took some time off to rest. That's when Eddie Van Halen, who desperately wanted some time alone to write songs on his own, built his own studio in his backyard and started writing and recording a lot of demos for the band's next album, the famous 1984.

1984 is quite possibly Van Halen's most well known album. It remains the band's most successful album in sales, having reached 10x Platinum in the US! Fueled by not one, not two, and not even three, but four hit singles, it went on to become one of Van Halen's best studio albums ever. Van Halen was quickly becoming one of hard rock's biggest names, but 1984 was what allowed them to gain a worldwide following. It's good to understand what circumstances 1984 was written in. Eddie, who had previously contributed in one of Michael Jackson's most famous songs Beat It, with one of his most recognizable solos ever, wrote most of 1984's material in his home studio, combining some keyboard-heavy songs with some hard-edged rock 'n' roll, that was what had given Van Halen popularity before. The final result led to a mixture of some more radio-inclined rock music with slight tendences of pop, most notably found here in Jump, with the power-driven hard rock that the band was known for.

One great aspect about 1984 is that, even if the hit songs are really amazing and standout moments in the album, the lesser known tracks are also very good too, and make it easy to understand why 1984 is held in such high regard among fans and critics. A prime example of that is House Of Pain. It's more of a heavy metal song from Van Halen, more furious and powerful than what they had done before. Powered by its amazing and recognizable riff, it also features a great pounding beat by Alex and a fine vocal delivery by Dave. Among 1984's hits, it sometimes ends up being overlooked among critics, but it's always been a fan favorite, and it's easy to see why. It also features a sweet interlude to close out the album in style. Drop Dead Legs and Top Jimmy are also good examples. While they're not as good as the singles, they are very good tracks too, adding some consistency to the album. While Drop Dead Legs features Eddie's great guitar intro and a standout job by the rhythm section, Top Jimmy sees Van Halen returning to their early days, containing a very nice hook and an overall great performance by the band.

However, in 1984, the hits really are the best songs, and the ones that probably get into your head the most. Jump, for example, is catchy as everything, and its viciously sing-along chorus is one of 1984's best. Plus, its two solos (guitar and keyboard, both played by Eddie) really benefit the song. Panama is also an amazing hard rock display of the band's talents, from Eddie's guitar wizardry, to Alex's furious drumming, Michael's great backing vocals and Dave's great performance. Its chorus is very simple, but ultimately very effective. I'll Wait is a lot more keyboard-oriented, but it suits the album really well, and it's an insanely catchy track, benefiting from Dave's fine vocal display, Eddie's great use of keyboards and a memorable guitar solo. Closing out on the singles, comes Hot For Teacher, arguably one of Van Halen's most recognizable songs. Featuring Alex Van Halen's spectacular drum intro and Eddie's outstanding guitar display, Hot For Teacher is known for its dialogue between the members of the band throughout the song and a great chorus "Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad, I'm hot for teacher."

Featuring only one lesser good track in Girl Gone Bad (even the title track is quite entertaining for an opener, presenting an interesting use of synths), 1984 rightfully deserves its classic status. It showed how Van Halen could combine heavy and distorted guitars with spacey keyboards amazingly. Van Halen turned to a slightly more commercial side, maintaining their hard rock sound that they had become known for. It's an album strongly backed up by its amazing singles, but it also features great gems who, more often than not, end up being overlooked. 1984 is, without question, one of Van Halen's best albums. Sadly, though, tensions between Eddie and Dave grew even higher, forcing Dave to leave Van Halen and pursue a very successful solo career. Now, we know that he returned, but for a long time, Van Halen presented different frontmen than Diamond Dave. To fill in for Dave, came Sammy Hagar, who made his debut in 1986, with the album 5150.

Van Halen Best of Volume IGreen Day Live Tracks
Green Day SlappyGreen Day 1,000 Hours
Nirvana HormoaningNirvana Blew
csmith1999 (5)
A top notch rock album that rivals their first album....

hedunadan (5)
1984 is the record where Van Halen showed everyone they were THE band, commercially, but more import...

AeroZeppelin1 (5)

keep on phishin' (5)

July 29th 2014

My series of Van Halen reviews continues. I love 1984, outstanding album. Might 5 it in the future, because it's really good. Give me your feedback and constructive criticism, it's much appreciated. Next up, 5150. As you'll see, I like Dave a lot more than Sammy. I think it'll show, but Van Hagar has its moments.

BMDrummer
July 29th 2014

good review, Jump has always bugged me so much on this album though

oltnabrick

Jump is a 5/5 classic song

BMDrummer
July 29th 2014

read the guidelines in the forums

manosg
July 29th 2014

Haven't jammed anything by these guys for 6-7 years now, need to change that at some point.

Great review Daniel, pos.

Digging: Witchfynde - Give 'em Hell

July 29th 2014

Thanks Drummer, I've listened to Jump a lot as a kid, so I don't mind jamming it.

Thanks Manosg, any album with Dave is great to listen to.

hogan900
July 29th 2014

Jump bugs the poop out of me.

hogan900
July 29th 2014

But yes, very good review for an album I used to jam hard to when I was younger.

DrJohn
July 29th 2014

Ok review, though I hate Jump ;)

July 29th 2014

Thanks, Hogan and DrJohn, appreciate it.

oltnabrick
July 29th 2014

I'm going to listen to this ;]

July 29th 2014

Sweet, let's see if you'll enjoy it.

ExplosiveOranges
July 29th 2014

Still not a Van Halen fan, haha. Good review, though.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

menawati

nice series, weird to see 2 reviews up at same time for this

17WordHaiku
July 29th 2014

This is the first disc I ever purchased with my own money haha. I think I was 12 or 13? Good times. It's what got me interested in music. Good review.

July 30th 2014

Thanks, Oranges. I suppose I can't talk you into listening to their debut? xD

Thanks, Menawati. Great to see you keeping up with the discography.

Thanks, Haiku. I listened to 1984 a lot too when I was younger.

TheNotrap
July 31st 2014

My favourite VH.

Nice review Daniel.

Digging: Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams

July 31st 2014

Thanks NoTrap. I might even 5 this in the future, but my favorite VH is the debut. 1984 is a close second for me.

Funeralopolis
November 6th 2014

albums with years for names

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict