Born of Osiris
Tomorrow We Die Alive

by Deuce8311 USER (16 Reviews)
July 29th, 2014 | 21 replies

Release Date: 08/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Your soul's reflection, is it what it used to be? So take another look at yourself. Tell me, what do you see?"

I have not always been a Born of Osiris fan, but one of my good friends was obsessed with them back in high school. Unfortunately I was mainly just a metalcore guy back then, but around this time I started to branch out. The Discovery was released in the late part of my Senior year in 2011. This friend handed me this CD one day after class, so I decided to give the band a shot. It instantly became and still is one of my favorite albums. Upon hearing about BOO's impending release, I couldn't wait to hear it, but I must say I was utterly disappointed. Now that there's some free time, I decided to finish the review I intended to do a while ago, so behold: Tomorrow We Die Alive.

Anticipating an exhilarating opener just as Follow The Signs kicked off their last album, the epic symphonic opening accompanied by a quick paced snare drum sounded promising. The ensuing "Machine" is then destroyed by basically nothing but a chug fest that makes the guitars indistinguishable from one another. The only remotely interesting lead work here is midway through the third and seventh stanzas. Unfortunately which ever one it is, lack of inspiration or just plain laziness, it would continue to be a trend throughout most of the album. The lead vocals of Ronnie Canizaro just did not seem to have the charge that they had in 2011's release. The vocals as a whole would be completely forgettable if it was not for keyboardist Joe Buras. He does a splendid job of providing good backup and sometimes even surpassing the leads. Joe utilizes not only his mid-high screams we're used to hearing, but he throws in some sort of strained, if you will, clean vocals. Buras really carries the rest of the band on tracks such as "Exhilarate" and "Absolution", where he has more vocal parts and brings his keyboard in to save us from the blandness the rest of the band presents. "Exhilarate" does however also feature a short guitar solo toward the end, adding some more substance to the track. Most of the substance in the album is provided by the various keys and synthesizers Buras throws out. The only problem with this is that some songs end up sounding too similar such as the openings for "Mindful" and "Exhilarate". They also kind of can throw certain songs off course, such as the closer "Vengeance". The end of the song sounds like some sort of electric Mariachi band that really put a question mark in the listener's head, thus leaving an unsettling ending.

Besides the last note about the closing track, the last half of the album seems to have a little more energy than the first half, and in turn salvages the rest of it. The first evidence of this is in "The Origin". Both the drumming and the guitars begin to wake up a little bit. The keyboard falls to the background a little bit which allows the other instruments to shine more, but still is enough to give the song a sort of uplifting feeling it needs at the beginning and end of the song. "Imaginary Condition" keeps the energy going, throwing many much needed and rich guitar riffs into the mix. "Illusionist" throws a twist in the formula, as some nice palm muting and double bass sets the tone before the synths ultimately come into the song. The last two tracks sound more closely to their last record, and more importantly, near their potential. Ultimately, the last half of the album revealed the energy Born of Osiris is known for, but I'm not sure if it was enough to save the album as a whole. Whereas The Discovery sounded more complete and cohesive, this album is missing that oh so vital quality. For the most part, it just sounds like a bunch of Discovery b-sides slapped together at random. This lack of production really surprised me, and ultimately made the album fail to be what it possibly could have been.

One of the most talented around, the band should and could have done so much more with this release. After releasing such an amazing album in The Discovery, Born of Osiris really need to take the advice of the lyrics in "Machine", and take a look at themselves to ask what went wrong. Maybe they let the fame go to their head and got careless, or maybe the lack of guitarist Jason Richardson on this album is what pushed them to focus more on the synthesizers. Whatever the case, hopefully Born of Osiris will find their way back on the path that lead to their Ascension. Tomorrow We Die Alive was not awful, but by releasing it Born of Osiris falls into a category I never would have fathomed they would: average.

Of Mice and Men Restoring ForcePop Evil Onyx
Crown the Empire The Resistance: Rise of the RunawaysGhost Atlas Gold Soul Coma
The Amity Affliction Let the Ocean Take MeWithin the Ruins Phenomena
2.8
good
phggt (2.5)
Tomorrow We Die Alive is trying too hard....

voiceofresistance (3.5)
So do we still need to bow down...?...

Esoteric (3)
While Born of Osiris loses almost half of their charm on The Discovery, Tomorrow We Die Alive is a r...

Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (2)
Tomorrow We Die Alive either represents a band in a stylistic mid-life crisis, or one that just does...

SnakeDelilah

awesome album

Digging: Foxing - The Albatross

July 28th 2014

Whether you like the heavier use of synths on this one, or the more technical side of The Discovery is going to depend on personal preference just like everything else in the world.

July 28th 2014

Really? Why did you give it a 1.5 then?

Br00talK1d

>awesome album
>1.5
u ok d00d?

erizen826
July 28th 2014

This album has started to grow on me lately. It's nowhere near the level of Discovery though. Kind of depressing considering how incredibly solid that album is.

July 28th 2014

Yeah I know :/ I think not having Richardson on there is what really hurt them.

Judio!

awesome album [2]

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

yet ANOTHER 1.5??? You people confuse me O_o

Futures

O_o

Digging: The Twilight Sad - Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Wants To Leave

TzarChasm
July 29th 2014

The Discovery tears face. This was a horrendous follow up. Born of Osiris couldn't possibly have let me down much harder with TWDA.

Thunderkat

New Reign/Higher place > Discovery/this

but thats just me

SourAK

U ok d00d?

ScuroFantasma
July 29th 2014

great review man, pos'd. I need to check this band but I'll probably start at Discovery. I have one small correction for the review too; "Upon hearing about of BOO's impending release", you have about and of there, you only need one of them.

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

ChoccyPhilly

I'd say M∆chine is good, but this album is just full of 0000 00 00000 0000

Digging: D'Angelo - Black Messiah

Insurrection
July 29th 2014

this album is kinda fun. not much worse than the discovery imo

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

nononsense
July 29th 2014

The songs where Joe is a focus are what saved this album from being a totally crapper.

AHP owns all

July 29th 2014

Thanks for the positive feedback! I must admit that some of the songs do grow on me a bit the more I listen to it.

Thunderkat
July 30th 2014

Glad bloc agrees with me

Koffiiing