Theory of a Deadman
Savages

by Christopher Geriak USER (51 Reviews)
July 29th, 2014 | 66 replies

Release Date: 07/29/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A predictable effort, especially from a band like Theory of a Deadman. But at least it doesn't kill what little decency they have left.

I’m probably giving Theory of a Deadman a lot more credit than they deserve when it comes to Savages, but I have to say that I’m surprised by this. Especially considering what this band has done and said in their previous three records and the fact that Howard Benson has decided to return as producer for the fourth time in a row, you’d think that this record would represent everything that Theory of a Deadman are, and obviously it does. But the one thing that makes me somewhat shocked about Savages is how they didn’t manage to seep down as low, or even lower, than The Truth Is…, and honestly, I applaud them, relatively speaking of course.

Ever since the last time Theory of a Deadman showed their faces, I considered them to be even worse than their “influential” Canadian counterpart, Nickelback. The Truth Is… was just such an absolute monstrosity of a record since it represented everything that radio rock shouldn’t be: cringe-worthy sexist lyrics, the awful musical style, and the overabundance of annoyingly catchy songs, it was just disgustingly atrocious. However it seems as if the critical panning that the record got was enough for the band to move on from their disgustingly sexist themes and work more towards a clichéd route. It’s an improvement to say the least.

Opener ‘Drown’ is possibly the best song on the record but that’s not saying much as the band produces the typical ideas and musicality that we’ve heard a thousand times over. However what the track does is question whether or not you’re actually listening to Theory of a Deadman as the overall vibe doesn’t feel the same as before. And interestingly enough, this is not the only time that happens. ‘Salt in the Wound’ and ‘Heavy’ ends up having the band move out of the typical bland radio rock territory and it does end up hooking you in a surprising manner. But again, if you compare it to every radio rock song that’s out there, you’re not going to find anything noteworthy that says “this should win a Grammy.”

Despite this, every other song in this record is everything you’d expect from Theory of a Deadman. Almost every other track after ‘Drown’ does everything that they can to become as catchy as hell, especially when it comes to ‘Blow’ and ‘Panic Room.’ Tyler Connelly is still a terrible vocalist, keeping to his Kroeger style voice throughout most of the record. The guitars and drums are bland and deadbeat as they show yet again that there’s practically nothing exciting about the band. The lyrics contain your typical, clichéd, run-of-the-mill content about how life is awful/everything is hell. (Though there’s nothing inexplicably sexual this time around) And lastly, the guest vocals play almost absolutely no part in the record. Alice Cooper’s recitation fails to set the mood for the title track with lines like, “When will we realize we’re all just the same/We’re all just humans fighting human nature just to stay alive” while Joe Don Rooney’s guitar work is so muddled and washed out that he has no place for the cringe-worthy ‘Livin’ My Life Like a Country Song.’ It’s the same result as was in Scars & Souvenirs when Brent Smith and Chris Daughtry were featured, and it just doesn’t work.

In a funny way, Savages is a surprising yet uneventful record since it manages to at least give Theory of a Deadman the tiniest shed of decency that they have left, yet it doesn’t manage to surpass any other successful radio rock record out there. It’s predictable album, but that’s probably the worst criticism you could give this. I doubt this would end up being successful because of it, yet at the same time I’d be more than happy to prefer Savages than almost any other Theory of a Deadman record that’s out there. That’s enough for me to at least give them some benefit of the doubt for their next record, but not enough for me to get hyped up about it.

NYVES AnxietyBreaking Benjamin Dark Before Dawn
Haste the Day CowardStone Sour Meanwhile In Burbank...
10 Years From Birth to BurialThree Days Grace Human
2.2
poor
Joel Hargreaves (2.5)
If you’re not already a fan of Theory of a Deadman, once you hear Savages in Connolly’s own word...

July 28th 2014

Stream: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/theory-of-a-deadman-premiere-new-album-savages.html

As the Nostalgia Critic always says, "I remember it so you won't have to" :-)

Criticism is appreciated.

I'm planning on re-writing that Scars and Souvenirs review sometime in the near future btw. Still haven't gotten to that yet.

XP

Digging: mewithoutYou - Pale Horses

:D

this prob sucks hard

Digging: Elemantra - You Feel Bad About You

July 28th 2014

Compared to other TOAD's albums, it's not the worst.

July 28th 2014

how much is that saying though?

July 28th 2014

@BMD Meh point, but at least it doesn't sink down to so low as The Truth Is.... In fact I don't think it comes even close to that, I will commend that about this record.

@Futures Too busy jamming to Anberlin :D

ExplosiveOranges

Garbagio.

July 28th 2014

"how much is that saying though?"

If you don't know the answer to that question by now, I'm not sure you will ever know the answer

July 28th 2014

Well compared to every other radio rock album that's out there, that's saying almost nothing.

artificial brain [3]

check cursive

futures stop being pissy

July 28th 2014

but then he wouldn't be Futures

Holy shit Futures you're beginning to sound like Verm

[2]

emester

artificial brain [4]

Digging: Faustcoven - Hellfire and Funeral Bells

TheSupernatural
July 29th 2014

I was actually looking forward to this after hearing "Drown", which was better than anything off that abominable last record, and a bit better than most of Scars & Souvenirs

Green Baron
July 29th 2014

It was shit, but better shit

TheSupernatural
July 29th 2014

I saw them live nearly 2 years ago, and after getting on stage 15-20 minutes late, they sounded even more mediocre than they do recorded. Drummer was decent but the rest of them just sucked.

On track 4 listening to this, feeling a 2-2.5. Better than Five Finger Death Punch, not quite as good as Nickelback. Although I do like Nickelback more than most people. The State, Silver Side Up, and The Long Road are good