Yoma
Approaching Silence

by Mark A. USER (51 Reviews)
July 26th, 2014 | 15 replies

Release Date: 02/17/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Approaching Silence is certainly not perfect, but it does have a wonderfully hypnotic, understated effect on the listener.

As a fervent lover of many types of music, I can honestly say that I am always looking for music that blows me away. There is an insatiable thirst for the next classic album, and the somewhat monumental discovery of the next release that just speaks to me with immediacy on a personal level. So I pore over music for hours on end, many times getting frustrated when I can't find an album to connect with for months at a time. It inadvertently becomes a vicious cycle in and of itself, as it becomes easier to criticize and harder to praise when holding it up to those albums that scream perfection out of the gate. Approaching Silence is certainly not perfect, but it does have a wonderfully hypnotic, understated effect on the listener. Yoma play an amalgamation of meandering post rock and driving post metal, with their minimalist attitude being the most memorable thing about them. Instead of the valleys-and-peaks songwriting formula present on many post rock acts, the band opts for a much more subdued, introspective approach most of the time.

"To The Fall" begins contrary to the more atmospheric sound present on the rest of Approaching Silence, favoring uptempo guitar riffs and lively drums. As the song progresses, it settles into a sludgy groove that fades out halfway through the track, leaving a lone guitar with plenty of reverb. Instead of using the entirety of the song to build on one idea and reach a climax at the end, the band quickly and efficiently transitions from idea to idea in a very natural fashion. Eight-minute "Tides" illustrates this perfectly, as the hopeless and melancholy vibe in the beginning quickly dissipates into a slow, heavily distorted passage; less than two minutes later the calm and reflective clean guitar lines creep back in, and therein lies the genius of Approaching Silence. Yoma simply aren't afraid to change the tempo on a dime, and it pays off handsomely in terms of keeping the listener's full attention. And that is certainly a necessity here; with most of the tracks clocking in at six minutes or more, the probability of retreading the same paths is fairly high. Luckily, the band steps lightly around that potential problem, with "Stasis" being the only track that descends into anonymity.

Approaching Silence is a modest, quietly powerful album that highlights a band that has a bright future ahead of them. The excellent songwriting and ability to break out of genre restraints so early on in their career relegates the lacking production to a non-issue. Sometimes, it's the album that lacks bombast and hype that you keep coming back to over the years, slowly but surely becoming a classic over time.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingClipse Hell Hath No Fury
The War on Drugs Lost in the DreamMorning Effort I heard you the first time, it just wasn't funny
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeRotten Sound Species At War
4.2

July 25th 2014

Shorter review than normal, but I love reading short reviews myself and feel like I said everything and more about this gem of an album. Criticism welcome as always.

Also, on bandcamp for NYP:

Check them out, this is great stuff!

treefingered2
July 25th 2014

review looks great will read it soon but why'd you give this a 3.5 but write a 4 rev?

Digging: Black Sabbath - Live at Hammersmith Odeon

July 25th 2014

Whoops, it was initially a 3.5 but grew on me haha.

treefingered2
July 25th 2014

oh I see lol, sorry just had to ask.

July 25th 2014

No worries at all, tree. Yeah, what generally happens is as I am writing the review, my views on the intricacies of the record will change and I'll change my rating accordingly.

Judio!
July 26th 2014

Awesome review Mark, pos'd. I feel kind of bad because you ask me to read over your reviews and give you constructive criticism but I'm really having trouble finding something to criticize haha. I guess if you
really want me to nitpick, you might want to go into more detail about what you didn't like about the album, seems like you kind of just glossed over its negatives in the second paragraph and didn't go as in-
depth as you could have. But I mean that's a small note, really liked how short and concise this review is, and your opening paragraphs never cease to grab my attention.

Digging: Heathen - Victims of Deception

EddieMarais
July 26th 2014

Good review man, pos'd. Will definitely check this out.

July 26th 2014

Thanks Judio, I appreciate the feedback man. I do feel like I need to add a few negative points for sure.

Thanks Eddie!! Let me know what you think!

19757 Comments

I'm with Judio I can't really find anything negative to say lol. Honestly this flowed really well and I know I keep saying this but it's one of your better reviews. Convinced me I should check this out too!

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

ExplosiveOranges
July 26th 2014

Forgot to leave a comment, haha. Great review as always, man. I'll probably check this out.

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

ScuroFantasma
July 27th 2014

Fantastic review sig, as always!

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

July 27th 2014

Thanks all! Aaron, I think you'd dig this quite a bit.

@Scuro and Oranges, I def think you two should be a part of the next class of contribs.

Judio!
July 28th 2014

Scuro and Oranges should def be contribs yeah

ScuroFantasma
July 28th 2014

Thank you both. That means a lot to me, especially coming from you two (: