Fallujah
The Flesh Prevails

Release Date: 07/22/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I fucking came

When I hear of bands that have progressed to the point of being completely new and unique sounding bands, I wouldn't have even thought to blink an eye when I heard a technical death metal band could be capable of this. While the genre itself can still be very enjoyable, most of it is riddled with poor songwriting and monotonous structuring. That being said, the technical death metal band, Fallujah, have progressed to the point where a genre tag is kind of hard to uniquely decipher and, oh wow, what a difference this has made.

I never would have even thought that the same band that made the album The Harvest Wombs, would be able to create something as unique and equally technical as they have done here. Stylistically everything on this album has been ramped up to the 11th setting. Nothing on this album sounds as if it has been done before or conveyed in the same way that Fallujah have done. The riffs are much more highly interesting, the songwriting is much more mature and bright, the atmosphere is euphoric and the brutality of this is pummeling. The production on this album, while it may sound a little polished, brings a fresh new and angelic light to the side of technical death metal. Its aesthetic is something that I've been hoping to hear and experience for quite some time and with their EP Nomadic, they've finally shed some spotlight on it. Bringing in immensley harmonious, progressive, atmospheric and at times almost post rock or metal textures, like maybe late ISIS, to the signature style of modern technical death metal is something that needed to be brought to the listener's expense. Songs like "Starlit Path" and "Sapphire" carry this very beautiful and pleasurable aesthetic and combine it with very pummeling and furious death metal, while other songs like the ending to "Levitation", "The Flesh Prevails", and "Allure" are just beautiful progressive metal pieces akin to the like of say Scale the Summit, Chimp Spanner or Cynic. The only band I can even conjure that could come close to a sound as this is Augury and even then that is a slightly poor comparison.

While the album does sound very modern and clean, the sheer amount of emotion that's shown on this album is simply overwhelming. The riff's are absolutely pummeling and the atmosphere is completely devouring of any negativity. The blending of these two very contrasting nuances was something that needed to happen and I, for one, could not be more pleased with the results. It might sound silly to say, but modern metal may see a new face in the upcoming months with this release. A few tears were shed and an applause was in order for these gentlemen.

Troum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)Fennel Resuming the Trail
Roots of the Sea Sky Without a SunCarbon Based Lifeforms Twentythree
Alio Die Deconsecrated and PureThe Haxan Cloak Excavation

The Harvest Wombs

Nomadic
recommended by reviewer
Augury that's pretty much fucking it

NocteDominum
July 25th 2014

I applaud your references, the album... Not so much,

Edit: a whole lot more detail would be appreciated for a 5/5 review...

July 25th 2014

Wrote this in 5 minutes before a morning shower. Feels good, man.

uDQ7tIHL6Fw/ToiMXzfzfYI/AAAAAAAA4Vc/7gKyDflzrS8/Feels%2Bgood%2Bman%2B....jpg

Gameofmetal
July 25th 2014

I think several parts of your first and last paragraph need work and that summary is horrid. The middle is pretty solid though. Also too short for a 5 review.

you're foolin

MO

19078 Comments

"Also too short for a 5 review."

ugh

Keyblade
July 25th 2014

"Also too short for a 5 review."

Wait what

Digging: Sofia Gubaidulina - Chamber Music With Double Bass

Gameofmetal
July 25th 2014

Fuck is there a way to change my pos/neg so it's just neutral cuz I just can't decide which I 'm going for and I think I was a bit harsh at first.

clercqie
July 25th 2014

the brutality of this is pummeling

Bit of a clichéd way to talk about this stuff perhaps? Anyways good review mindle.

July 25th 2014

At least somebody appreciates my laziness :] how've you been clercqie?

Mall
July 25th 2014

Probably sucks but nice review

PunchforPunch

nice rev jake :D

thanks dennis ^_^

clercqie

Pretty busy. Graduation feels good tho. :]

cmaitland421
July 25th 2014

Holy scattered review Batman. Appreciate the enthusiasm though.

Veldin
July 25th 2014

I like yo lazy review, mate! This album is like if the hyperbolic Colored Sands and Sunbather fucked
and had Mel Gibson as their child, but he had rhinoplasty performed and was much cuter and more
emotional. Chya.

RiffOClock

Wrote this in 5 minutes before a morning shower

i'm pretty sure these tech death bands themselves take a similar approach when it comes to songwriting

MikeC26
July 25th 2014

i always enjoy listening to this band. will check!

MikeC26
July 25th 2014

i always enjoy listening to this band. will check!

TzarChasm
July 25th 2014

This album is absolutely goddamned brilliant. I love every single second of it, and it's easily a contender for my personal AOTY—certainly within its own genre.