Krusseldorf
Fractal World

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (61 Reviews)
July 25th, 2014 | 28 replies

Release Date: 01/21/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fractal World's modest nature counts both for and against it, but not the reason you may think

You never need to look very far before you’re inundated with conflicting opinions regarding the internet’s influence on underground music. Having virtually every medium of artistic expression available to me via any device of choice is convenient, but I must confess that I am also guilty of this musical neo-consumerism, in which works created with the utmost sincerity are absorbed and disposed of without a second thought. The age-old cassette culture seems intrinsically pointless to a Gen-Y citizen such as myself, and yet the idea of obtaining Musta Seremonia on a cassette and shitting myself the first time I blare it through an ancient tape deck is strangely alluring. In this day we are completely spoilt for choice, and it’s mildly frustrating to think that the technology that brought me a digital incarnation of said release may have stifled a sacred little moment, because the acquisition was simply that easy.

Acts such as Simon Heath’s Krusseldorf owe a lot to the ‘net in that it has given them a means to express themselves. However, they are simultaneously victims of the very thing that allowed them to attain even the slightest modicum of coverage, as their efforts are washed away in a haze of virtual light pollution. Present, but almost invisible. Fractal World isn’t the sort of album that is going to dazzle you with spontaneous hooks, breaks and ear candy. Instead, it wafts along at its own pace, gently trickling new concepts and layers into each track as it sees fit, blissfully unaware of its audience and focussing wholly and solely on itself. The manner in which the ideas are developed in each track is so fluid and docile that you can easily mistake them as non-descript, which is a little bit of a shame as one could dismiss the album as unremarkable based on a mere first impression.

No, Fractal World isn’t necessarily innovative from a compositional standpoint, nor is it breaking new ground in the field of ambient or downtempo music, aesthetically. However, what it does with an established formula is simply so agreeable and unobtrusively contagious that you can’t help but adore it should you give it the time it merits. Poignant, reverberant keys appear to bounce off the discreet synthlines, pulses and sampled pleasantries like rain off a pavement, while everything is loosely bound together by subtle percussion and crystal clear, dynamic production. Fractal World’s strength essentially lays in how malleable it is, functioning perfectly well as either a committed listen or just background noise. The ease with which you can lose yourself throughout the hour listen means it’s difficult to pinpoint specific highlights, but elevating specific cuts over others essentially becomes a non sequitur in the grand scheme of things.

Fractal World’s sense of containment counts both for and against it, in that it’s so endearing when given the light of day but so easy to overlook, intentionally or not. Had I not revisited the album by sheer chance of it reappearing in my media player, it’s practically certain that I’d have eventually erased it from my collection, never to be experienced again. This is a natural consequence of such liberal distribution of media, and puts into perspective the magnitude of work that goes unappreciated. Fractal World’s inwardness may be deceptive, but given enough consideration, it turns out to be rather charismatic.

Pink Floyd The Endless RiverPure Fetor
Kashiwa Daisuke 9 SongsSwallowed Lunarterial
Reverorum Ib Malacht De Mysteriis Dom ChristiDecapitated Blood Mantra

July 25th 2014

Fourth (4th!!!!~!) non m/m/m/ review so criticism is more than welcome. Trying to branch out so I'm probably gonna be writing a few more of these.

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - 9 Songs

nothing is fetor

fetor is life

Judio!
July 25th 2014

Impeccable review as always Jac! Was gonna comment on how un-m/ this is but you beat me too it damn. In any event it's awesome to see that you're branching out more with your writing.

Digging: The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters

July 25th 2014

Cheers Judio, reviewing m/m/m/ is all well and good but after 52 damn reviews it gets a little boring.

Judio!
July 25th 2014

Oh I hear ya. Wasn't until December of last year that I wrote my first non-metal review, and now I only review metal every now and then.

omg finally pos pos pos will read later m80

12071 Comments

tom is this a 5

zakalwe

Cool!
That opening paragraph is superb.
If you would allow me the liberty to expand on your thoughts and be somewhat perspicacious concerning the subject I'd humbly offer this proclamation.

Gen Y are a proper bunch of muggy cunts.

Digging: King Buzzo - This Machine Kills Artists

proper fookin grim innit

Keyblade

Finally!

This is my cue to fully check this album too

Digging: Insides - Euphoria

5d

i'm off to the soccer to drink pints and sing songs and OI OI OI and be a hooligan and start fights and riot in the streets will read this tomorrow from jail m/ m/ m/

zakalwe

Bad start bro.
Cool it football for fuck sake!

not in straya pal

true
July 25th 2014

hey jac why not review the snowgoose re recording plz ty

July 25th 2014

never you called me shadows reincarnate that cut me deep

clercqie

Gotta check.

ExplosiveOranges
July 25th 2014

A bit shorter than some of your m/m/m/ reviews, but it's still solid. Might check this out.

Digging: Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral