Ted Nugent
Shutup&jam!

2.0
poor

by Daniel Dias USER (67 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2014 | 130 replies

Release Date: 07/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Shut up, Ted Nugent.

There isn't a single American person who doesn't hold a considerable amount of disrespect for Ted Nugent. Known for his controversial statements more than for his music, the Motor City Madman always proved to be ready to speak when he has an opinion on any given subject. However, most people agree that it'd be best for him to stay quiet sometimes. Well, most times, really. From his controversial comments regarding hunting, that lead you to believe that Ted hates you unless you have to hunt for your own food, to his ridiculous and sexist statements on women (people often recall his classic quote "What’s a feminist anyways? A fat pig who doesn’t get it often enough?"), and even his political activism, people have some solid reasons to have had enough of Ted Nugent. When he made his latest rant regarding President Barack Obama, calling him a "dumb motherf*cker" and saying that he and his family were moving to Mexico, some people probably hoped that he would actually do that. Yeah, people have had enough of his polemic public appearences. And, by taking a look at his most recent album Shut Up & Jam!, they must've had enough of his music too.

Besides from being a serious candidate to the title of "Most Hilarious Album Cover Of The Year", Shut Up & Jam! doesn't have a whole lot to offer. It's no wonder, considering who it is we're talking about. In his prime, Ted Nugent was the average American hard rock musician. He was a moderately talented guitarist and vocalist, but nothing extremely special. It's been nearly 40 years since he released his self-titled debut album. Ted's way past his prime. If he wasn't even that good 40 years ago, there's not much we can expect from him now. What we can expect from him is his both hilarious and ridiculous lyrics, that keep popping up after 40 years. A prime example of his brilliant talent as a lyricist is I Love My BBQ. Ted doesn't get tired of discussing hunting and eating meat, or at least that's what these lyrics suggest: "I love my barbecue, it's what Americans do, pull up a chair, I'll get a meal for you. Tofu just might kill you baby, a tossed salad makes you weak, I like to kill 'em and grill 'em mama, it's protein that we seek". Ted wasn't this hilarious since he talked about snakeskin cowboys and sh*t like that.

But lyrics aren't everything in music. Take a look at Van Halen, for example. During their heyday, they only sang about partying and having sex, but regardless of that, they were still a very talented band, who knew how to make some great and memorable music. So, what if Ted can't write some decent lyrics? There's still a lot he can do to make it up for that. But he didn't. Most of the material in Shut Up & Jam! is basically what Ted has been doing for the past 40 years. This is an album exclusively made for his fans, it almost certainly won't give him any new fans. Plus, considering his back catalog, he's done some better stuff in the past, during his Stranglehold and Cat Scratch Fever days. That being said, hardly anything here prevents this album from being absolute boredom. Sammy Hagar's special appearence on the track She's Gone does very little to add some interest to the album and Ted's guitar work gets very repetitive after a while. The only moment of some interest is perhaps the instrumental Throttledown, that brings some diversity to Shut Up & Jam!.

Ted Nugent is getting old, and his career has been going for almost 40 years. He hasn't made a single change in his music. So, what's the problem? If anything, he sounded better or rejuvenated 40 years ago. When America hadn't grown completely saturated of him. Shut Up & Jam! won't gain him new fans for sure, and probably what's left of his fanbase won't be too crazy about it too. Moreover, if people don't like him for his music, they certainly won't like him for his personality. "People in Japan love me. They're still as*holes. Foreigners are as*holes, they're scum. I don't like them, I don't want them in this country"; "I use the word n*gger a lot because I hang around with a lot of n*ggers". Apparently, the Motor City Madman doesn't want black people to be fans of his music. He also doesn't want foreigners to enjoy it either. That's very patriotic and American of him. There's nothing more American than not being from another country. Seriously, Ted Nugent doesn't even have a lot of fans to begin with. He shouldn't be a d*ck to people who can still stomach him, or else he'll alienate the fans that he still has.

Van Halen BalanceScorpions Face the Heat
David Lee Roth Your Filthy Little MouthScorpions Crazy World
Scorpions Savage AmusementVan Halen Live: Right Here, Right Now
1.6
very poor
Sanic69 (5)
Pure, unrelenting beauty. Truly the highest form of art possible in music....

July 23rd 2014

Such a bad album. Given that it's a new release, if the review's good enough, could it be featured on the front page?

BMDrummer
July 23rd 2014

Good review, bet this sucks

ExplosiveOranges
July 23rd 2014

"There isn't a single American person who doesn't hold a considerable amount of disrespect for Ted Nugent."

See: Rick Santorum.

Lol, good review as always, Dan.

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

DominionMM1
July 23rd 2014

"Besides from being a serious candidate to the title of "Most Hilarious Album Cover Of The Year", "

funny part is that i don't know if it would even be in his top 5 worst album covers

July 23rd 2014

cheers everybody, thanks for the feedback!

MikeC26
July 23rd 2014

goddamn that cover art rocks!

DikkoZinner

The motor city nadsman

July 23rd 2014

mike - i know right, lol

DikkoZinner
July 23rd 2014

Shutup&jam! (and when you're done with that watch fox news)

Froot

so brave

Digging: Thanatopsis - Axiology

what is brave, froot?

MrSirLordGentleman

This guy represents everything I hate from the USA

manosg
July 23rd 2014

Damn, this must really suck. How come you didn't review his s/t Daniel?

Review is great, pos.

Digging: Woody Guthrie - Dust Bowl Ballads

DominionMM1

USA USA USA USA USA

17WordHaiku

how is this even a 2?

July 23rd 2014

@manosg; Cheers, man. I already started listening to that Thin Lizzy live album you reviewed earlier today and I'm enjoying it a lot. I reviewed this album instead of his s/t merely because it's a new release and I figured it deserved a review, even if it sucks, which it does. Thanks for the pos'd, appreciate it ;)

@17WordHaiku; I was feeling generous ;)

manosg
July 23rd 2014

That's great dude, glad you're enjoying the album!

MrSirLordGentleman