Sore Eyelids
Sore Eyelids

by Tristan Jones CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
July 21st, 2014 | 18 replies

Sore Eyelids is a Swedish project featuring Henning Runolf of Suis La Lune. The band was never highly publicized, and as such have managed to fly under the radar on most forums. Amidst a plethora of emo/shoegaze bands, Sore Eyelids have concocted a near perfect recipe. In fact, the sound they have crafted for themselves is so engaging that their lack of deviation is easily forgivable. The instrumentals are high-energy, dynamic, and perfectly mixed, as all three members shine in their respective fields.

The album wastes no time, as it kicks off with the relentless opener "I Wish I Could Believin' You" which sets the tone for what to expect with the remainder of the album. Runolf's vocals are mournful without being overbearing in their delivery, with hints of post-punk inspiration. The production on the vocals is very dreamy, and reminiscent of shoegaze in tonality. The lyrics are consistently dreary, and the following epitomizes the emotional aspect of the album: "In the morning I'm nostalgic/and all that's filling up my head/is every moment that felt just like then/before I started to fuck things up."

As a whole the album feels gloomy, and the singer appears to insistently dwell on past mistakes while suffering feelings of incompetence and an all-encompassing lack of self-worth. These emotions, coupled with the high instrumental intensity, create a listening experience that can be either depressing or invigorating depending on the listener's approach. The lyrics are simple, which is understandable given English is not the vocalist's first language, but this is hardly a detriment as they're intended to be painful and blunt. "365 Days of Nothing" is a standout track which features everything the album has to offer. The guitar work is gorgeous, the vocals are earnest, the drumming is intense, and every segment of the song is engaging. However, it becomes apparent that all the album's tracks are somewhat formulaic.

Sore Eyelids' self-titled LP is a perfect example of an album that relies on a formula. Fortunately, the band executes said formula to its fullest potential, and creates something that is enjoyable from beginning to end.

Ariadne TsalalJacob Newman and Devin Underwood Sending the Past
Volcanic Queen Photography ShieldChelsea Wolfe Abyss
Rat Columns Fooling AroundU We Decide Who Comes In
recommended by reviewer
Suis La Lune Riala

July 21st 2014

not a super in-depth review on my part, but w/e. the songs are pretty samey and there isn't a whole lot to examine without coming across as redundant. still, great album and worth a listen

k

YakNips

band is cool

riala in good (:

November 4th 2014

this band > suis la lune

November 4th 2014

currently, yes

November 24th 2014

can't breathe rocks

Iamthe Nightstars
November 24th 2014

When I first heard this it was like a 4.5. After a while though i realized it was just a solid album.

April 26th 2015

365 days of nothing is still my fuckin jam

sixdegrees

19101 Comments

pretty lame

Digging: Remove the Last.fm Beta Website Design - Remove the Last.fm Beta Website Design

wow

Nimb49

So this is good?

Digging: Koufar - Lebanon for Lebanese

sixdegrees

19101 Comments

shockingly no

idk you'd probably h8 it bcuz that's the way the cookie crumbles

give the first track a go, and if you aren't feeling it then don't bother

Nimb49
August 1st 2015

I'm currently not feeling anything because morphine. I'll probably try this another, more appropriate time.