Trap Them
Blissfucker

2.0
poor

by ryallen USER (5 Reviews)
July 15th, 2014 | 11 replies

Release Date: 06/10/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 25 minutes of material are forced to hold together a 46 minute album, and they cannot.

It’s really unfortunate. There was enough good material here for a good album, but for whatever reason, the guys decided that this material had to cover twice the distance it normally would. In other words, there’s about 25 minutes of material here, and it’s forced to spread itself out over 46, which, in short, ruins everything.

I don’t understand why this went through anyone’s mind as a good idea. Salted Crypts is a long song yes, but it still comes out the other side a good song. That was the only track that this approach worked with. Every other song just lets you down. Older songs like Targets, Saintpeelers, and even longer ones like Mission Convincers and Destructioneer Extraordinaire, never came close to letting go of your interest.

The downfall of this album is exemplified by the song Savage Climbers, which is 7:28, and has the content of what would make a slightly interesting 10 second break in a song off the previous album, Darker Handcraft. It’s one slow riff. For over seven minutes. Nothing happens.

What really baffles me though, is how Kurt Ballou, who can only be described as an elite producer in the metal world, saw the song ideas for this album, and said to himself, “Yeah, this is gonna be good.” I know he’s a loyal guy, and that most of his business is now repeat business. But he’s produced all five of Trap Them’s previous releases. He knows what this band is capable of. He most certainly knows it’s capable of more than this.

NoSons (3.5)
This album saws through everything you have ever known....

RiffOClock
July 15th 2014

this band sucks in general

zakalwe
July 15th 2014

Don't be a fucker of bliss

Digging: King Buzzo - This Machine Kills Artists

Owantjaaaa

Really boring
The new BWP album was even worse, Kurt what are you doing

Digging: Polar - Iron Lungs

thelastsignal
July 15th 2014

Darker Handcraft is so much better than this. I just don't understand where they were going with this release.

Digging: Achilles - Hospice

ryallen
July 15th 2014

Agree. Handcraft was amazing and they should have continued down that road.

botb
July 15th 2014

i enjoyed this but it definitely didn't jump out at me like a lot of their stuff has in the past

Digging: Solstafir - tta

Artuma
July 15th 2014

salted crypts is one of their best songs

thelastsignal
July 15th 2014

Salted Crypts is definitely the best song on here, but the rest of this album feels so monotonous to me.

July 15th 2014

"25 minutes of material are forced to hold together a 46 minute album, and they cannot."

This sounds really awkward, drop the bit after the comma

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

Hawks
July 15th 2014

Savage Climbers is actually my fav song on this album idk.

razedtotheground
September 3rd 2014

I thought the Insomniawesome bit at the end of the album was pretty cool