Volumes
No Sleep

by Nathaniel Wallace USER (3 Reviews)
July 15th, 2014 | 79 replies | 8,000 views

Release Date: 07/15/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "I just hope they walk away with an understanding that it’s a different era for us as a band" - Michael Barr

Volumes liked to keep us waiting, didn’t they? After such a well-received debut album the bar was only set higher. So here we are, in 2014, with “No Sleep”. The production is crisp, hard-hitting, and complements the music in all the right places.

Sticking to what they know, Volumes has created a groovy, djenty LP that is worthy of your time. Personally, my favorite song off “VIA” was Edge of The Earth; it provided a great atmospheric feel and featured clean vocals that fans and critics alike wanted more of. Building off that, they gave us what we wanted. Featured best in Erased, Up All Night, and Across the Bed (although that song features a different singer), the band accurately used cleans to give us that atmosphere and highlights the rest of the instruments. Harsh vocals are used in the exact same way in VIA. Switching between Gus Farias and Michael Barr, Volumes gives us a relief from a monotonous performance.

Guitars are tuned lower and more haphazard than in Via. The difference in songwriting between the two albums is evident. Volumes puts more of an emphasis on songwriting. The guitar takes a slightly less important role as everything else gel together. The band sounds less like your typical guitar-driven band and more as a coherent unit with the result being nothing short of impressive. Groove riffs and breakdowns are still as prominent as ever; however they are used more effectively. For the most part, they do not feel as forced as they have in the past.

Drums are tame. Nothing spectacular or worth nothing; Nick Ursich simply does his job. Bass guitar takes a backseat as well. They’re used well, but they get lost in the big picture that is “No Sleep”. Drums and bass sacrificed being flashy and standing out in order to produce something that is lucid to the listener.

The lyrical content is also worth noting. With the addition of more euphoric atmosphere the lyrics of a late friend, James Vahle(hence the name of the song), feel so much more legitimate: I don't often think about regret, And what it means to me, I will always have all respect, About what you mean to me. You can feel the emotion that this Los Angeles outfit has poured into this album and it's evident the songwriting was written around to highlight the lyrics to invoke a more mature response from the album.

Ultimately, this album proved to be a more mature sounding record. To be able to effectively use clean and harsh vocals so beautifully is nothing short of impressive and deserves to be given a listen to because so many bands try and fail. This is a different album for Volumes. While for the most part everyone loved “Via”, but I doubt everyone wanted a Via 2.0. Coming from someone who writes music, writing the same album twice is not nearly as rewarding as trying out something fresh and new and having it turning out as well as “No Sleep” did.

3.5/5

Mark A. (3)
With a bit more experience, Volumes will transition into one of the better modern melodic metalcore ...

madddubokbro
July 15th 2014

This review kind of reads like a 3-3.5. It also sounds like bullets from a power point, the flow really bothers me.

Diamondize

now that this is out in 320 i might check just for the hell of it

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Diamondize
July 15th 2014

dug the shit out of via when it first came out when djent was starting to become a big trend it's still okay but i don't like it nearly as much

TheMetalLifer
July 15th 2014

Album is REALLY disappointing, not as good as VIA and it feels like the wait was all for nothing. Vahle still the best song of the album imo.

Digging: Polyphia - Muse

BSN1194
July 15th 2014

After some thought, I changed it to a 3.5.

I'm just glad they didn't make the same album twice and I think it came out well because of it.

DjentyNerdo
July 15th 2014

I liked the overall changes we got from Via but I can't really say it's quite there for me. I don't know what's missing.. It's just not that amazing to me.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

TheMoreira

Listening now and it's kicking my ass. Damn love that Meshuggah vibe on 91367

Also good review and agreed with IWillReturn, pos'd

(sorry Noc but new folks probably don't know the legend of Nocturnal)

Digging: Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All

Koffiiing
July 15th 2014

at the very least im pleased, vahle is an excellent track

theyre def one of the most emotional bands in the scene

TheMoreira
July 15th 2014

Agree hard about the flow, really makes me want to go back to it! I only listened once yet, i'm still
hoping some of the clean singing still get me further down the road. I like all the songs minus Better
Half, Across the Bed and Pistol Play.

Insurrection

20793 Comments

this is sounding pretty sweet so far. solid review

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Drummerboy123
July 15th 2014

Colour me surprised, I thought VIA was mediocre at best apart from Edge of the Earth but this is killer IMO.

Across the Bed is incredible, Casey Sabol's vocals are to die for.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Koffiiing
July 15th 2014

casey sabol is amazing agreed

DatBeefPudding
July 15th 2014

woah now, casey sabol is featured on a song? i need to hear this album...

botb
July 15th 2014

his feature isn't as good as i was hoping.

July 15th 2014

Ugh Erased is so fucking good. One of my favourite songs of the year.

The bridge kinda starts of sucky, but the clean vocals that come after it? All is forgiven holy fuuuuuuuuck

And not surprisingly, it's the only song I like on this -_-

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

DrummerDudeGuy
July 15th 2014

"Ugh Erased is so fucking good. One of my favourite songs of the year."

Absolutely agree, Bloc. I loathed that song when it first came out, but now I can't stop listening to it. I listened to the first 7-8 songs off this last night, and I'll finish it when I have the time tonight.

0GuyMan0
July 15th 2014

The review told me what I wanted to know. Good one, pos'd.

So far I really feel the vocals are the highlight of the band, raw, emotional and evocative. When instrumentation takes a back seat you better back it up with something, and the vocalists absolutely do.

Futures
July 15th 2014

only jamming this is it sounds like edge of the earth

Digging: Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

Futures
July 15th 2014

swee definitely gonna jam then

Devastator
July 15th 2014

Not really impressed by this tbh, the cleans should be used to drive a song like they do in Vahles chorus. They're good but they sometime stop the momentum that a song had.