Braid
No Coast

by Daniel Davis USER (33 Reviews)
July 14th, 2014 | 28 replies | 3,655 views

Release Date: 07/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Relaxing, dynamic, and one of the year's best rock albums so far.

I’ll be perfectly honest with you all – I’m a bit at a loss for how to begin a review for a band like Braid. Not because of their genre, but because I’m mostly unschooled on their past music. I can’t lay claim to knowing the intricacies of the differences between albums and bringing you guys up to date on just how altered the band has become nearly sixteen years after their last LP, because in the 90s my concept of music consisted of little more than church hymns and my dad’s jazz collection. Hell, I hadn’t even heard of Braid until their vocalist Bob Nanna contributed a vocal spot to the latest Say Anything release, so that should give you an idea of the spectrum I deal in. But I don’t really need any of that to inform you that “No Coast” is not only an absolutely fantastic entry in the revival of 90s styled emo that’s currently taking place, but is one of the year’s best rock albums so far.

A lot of emo music forgets to be dynamic amidst all of the weeping guitars and reflections on life, but the title track here has more feeling and curve put into the first couple minutes than most bands manage in more than a few songs, and still manages to build to something insanely catchy after those minutes are up. Most of the albums’ tracks have the same basic qualities – Nanna’s compulsively listenable voice that moves seamlessly from what amounts to pitched talking to crooning, drum beats that stay powerful while remaining relaxing, and guitars that bounce from being introspective to punk and somewhere in between depending on the demands of the moment. Some songs stick out more than others, particularly both ends of the album, but nothing in the middle feels like dead weight.

Most bands reunite after a while. Some of them release new albums, sometimes those albums end up being on par with the rest of their discography. But very rarely does a “reunion album” feel as vital, if not more so, than the rest of the band’s career work. I’m not familiar enough to say for sure, but I’m fairly certain “No Coast” will end up listed as one of those albums. It’s a mature work from a band that’s been around the block a time or two, and it absolutely deserves your full attention.

Polyphia MuseSecret Band Secret Band
Monuments The AmanuensisSay Anything Hebrews
Moving Mountains Moving MountainsThe Algorithm Octopus4

paradox1216
July 13th 2014

This needed a review. I'm not sure if it needed one from ME, but I gave it a shot.

Digging: The Helix Nebula - Meridian

YakNips
July 13th 2014

man this album let me down

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back from the Discomfort

Calc
July 14th 2014

I'm gonna be real wit chu, a 4.5 review should have waaaaay more meat than this.

and what is "compulsively listenable" supposed to mean?

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

PitchforkArms
July 14th 2014

should probs neg, but ill let it go

Not a fan

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

paradox1216
July 14th 2014

Ah well thanks for the honesty ^_^

Treb we dont agree on much but that new UN is quite amazing

StreetlightRock
July 14th 2014

Can't stop listening to this.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Athom

Great record.

msm008
July 14th 2014

Damn, July's been amazing. But this album was the best so far this month.

RangerTaffles
July 14th 2014

Yep, this is the best release so far.

Diamondize

need to hear this

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

hogan900
July 14th 2014

A little short for a 4.5 review, but its not bad by any means. I've read a lot of your reviews, and I know you have talent. Album kicks so much ass, I'll probably have to review it myself as well.

YakNips
July 14th 2014

man maybe i need to try this again

demigod!
July 14th 2014

really skeptical about hearing this

Digging: Failure - Magnified

zakalwe
July 14th 2014

It's more run of the mill try too hard whiny dog turd with jangly guitar dude.

demigod!
July 14th 2014

but their old stuff is so good and hardly even jangles!

Brostep

got this for $5 on CD, will check it out

zakalwe
July 14th 2014

In fairness I haven't heard it all bro. I can get feels now from the sput hype bullshit factor and telegraph poles on pastel skied album covers.
East End Hollows is god awful.

Wadlez
July 14th 2014

Solid comeback. Very 3.5ish.

yep123