Thy Art Is Murder
Infinite Death

good

by anachronisticanarchy USER (2 Reviews)
July 13th, 2014 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Australian Deathcore band Thy Art is Murder present an overall enjoyable EP that, unfortunately, suffers from a few problems.

Thy Art is Murder is a Deathcore band from Australia that, somewhat, defy standard Deathcore notion. In this EP "Infinite Death", you will hear why that is the case, with the band placing forth technical guitar work and solos, slightly above average drumming, and a solid vox performance. However, there are a few underlying problems, some of which are common amongst other Deathcore bands. With that spoken, we shall see why this EP succeeds in some areas, while also failing in others.

The EP shines from an instrumental perspective, with the guitarists displaying an amount of crushingly destructive and technical guitar work that rivals most of its' contemporaries. The percussion is only above average, with the drummer frequently using blast beats, and other techniques. Despite this, however, the bassist is completely inaudible throughout the entire EP, which is a major downside to the overall grand instrumentals.

The vocal work on "Infinite Death" is, for the most part, grand. Vocals often range from high-pitched screams to low growls, with little to no deficiencies in transitioning between the two. However, they are not anything special in particular.

What hinders this EP from becoming anything more than great would the the lyrical content. The lyrics are often very juvenile and poorly written, with horrendous lines such as: "You maggots
Swarm my earth
Infect me with putrid disease
Your vermin
Your genocide
Extermination, extermination of whores"

What also hinders this EP greatly would be a musical technique that is shared amongst almost every Deathcore band in existence, and is in great abundance on this EP, and that would be breakdowns. Breakdowns are in every song on "Infinite Death", in large numbers, which makes listening to this EP ether a joy or a displeasure, depending on musical preference. But nonetheless, it is prevalent.

Despite its problems, "Infinite Death" is an enjoyable experience from its dawn to its dusk, and should provide an example of Deathcore that stands above the sea of mediocrity.

Jaime Silva (3.5)
A textbook example of what solid deathcore should sound like....

erizen826
July 13th 2014

This reads like a three and also you misspelled "defy" in the first paragraph.

erizen826
July 13th 2014

Also get rid of the apostrophes after "its" in the last paragraph.

anachronisticanarchy
July 13th 2014

The error, I shall repair,sir. My original rating was to be a 3 indeed, however, I incremented my rating by a .5 interval during the typing process.

Yeah needs some work.

Digging: Pink Floyd - Animals

anachronisticanarchy
July 13th 2014

The errors you have discovered are now in a repaired state, sir.

July 13th 2014

It's not awful like some deathcore reviews knocking around. I'm giving it a risky pos.

ScarlettPimpernail

those lyrics lol

Digging: Tower of Rome - All Is Lost...All Is Lost...All Is Yet To Be Found

ScuroFantasma

1923 Comments

"there are a few underling problems" underlying

reviews okay, some awkward wording here and there and I think you could've delved a little deeper into the album. Band became much better after this though, even though this is pretty good.

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

SourAK

check the faceless

Jacquibim
July 14th 2014

who r they never heard of em

Digging: Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land

DOOO YOOOUUU BBBEEELLLIIEEVVEEEE IIIINN GOOOOD

Betray

motherfucker, open your eyeeesss

July 14th 2014

Thy art is standard deathcore.

SourAK