The Left Rights
The Left Rights

by Jared Floryan USER (14 Reviews)
July 13th, 2014 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Could be a... Scary story, about an elf boy with no help"

I would like to inform everyone here that this is my very first review. If you spot any issues with the grammar and/or punctuation, feel free to let me know. You guys are top-notch when it comes to that ***, and for that, my compliments to Sputnikmusic's contributors, staff members, and the like. At this point, I am well-aware that this is wasting your precious time, so I'll just dive right into my debut review!

Oh, Mindless Self Indulgence... Even if it depends on whether you love the band or hate them with a burning passion, there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt that the guys themselves are not only frenetic, but they also love the type of music they come up with. Particularly the mastermind of MSI, Little Jimmy Urine, who is arguably a psychopathic manchild in his own way. He pulls his punches for no one on the stage, and once said that doing drugs would make a person popular; a notable quote from the man being this: "Always, always, always talk about drugs in your songs. Whether you do them or not, the kids love it!"

However, where in the almighty *** does Steve, Righ? come in? These days, people either know him as Dr. Death Defying on My Chemical Romance's 2010 album, Danger Days, or... well, obviously the guitarist of MSI. Some of you might want to start wrapping your brains around this - in 2002, which was two years after Mindless' "magnum opus", Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy, Jimmy and Steve locked themselves up in a recording studio for several days; after not getting much sleep and being TOO damn energized on coffee, The Left Rights was born! This review is in regards to their self-titled album, by the way.

The Left Rights was released in September 24, 2002. Containing no less than 39 tracks, this "fecally-obsessed children's music for adults" can be considered a rare gem. Oh, sure, Jimmy and Steve (those absurd assholes) probably weren't the first ones to come up with this idea, but around the time I listened to their side project's first outing from start-to-finish, there was pretty much nothing like it. This CD is filled to the brim with nonsensical skits and even traditional "songs" (if you wanna refer to them as that) that barely go over 2 minutes; there are some exceptions, on the other hand, such as "Homineau" - a seemingly brainless method to making The Muppets into hardcore druggies.

Like what was mentioned before, The Left Rights was established by both Jimmy and Steve. There is no input from neither Lyn-Z nor Kitty nor Vanessa ***ing YT; it's just the resident cloudcuckoolanders, folks. The result was material that the average, run-of-the-mill listener would go out of his/her way to deem "idiotic", "asinine", "crazy", or any other term that can easily relate to those. But... Aw, hell, this entire CD is a major celebration!

You've got your Delicious Bread Collection, you've got Anal Cunt, and you also have Lou Reed's album, Metal Machine Music; it's high time someone needs to add The Left Rights to that mini-list. All of them have one thing in common: they were projects created for the sole purpose of deliberately polarizing the lives of many, to the point of sheer perplexity.

So what are my final thoughts on Jimmy and Steve's first studio effort as depraved kids' show hosts? It's nothing short of brilliance. While The Left Rights DOES go beyond insanity as a sort-of novelty work, I wouldn't bear the same feelings as I do now if the album was anything else. There are no recommendations for any specific track from the self-titled release; it's best if you hear the whole album. However, the CD is not without its faults. For one, this *** should've been longer, but not about as exhausting as Agoraphobic Nosebleed's 100-track album, Altered States of America. Secondly, the cover art is so messed up that it comes off as snark bait; the image in question, on the other end of the spectrum, compliments the cartoonish, unreal nature of The Left Rights' sound. Where else are you gonna find Jack and Jill experimenting with toilet humor, eh?