Sonic Syndicate
Sonic Syndicate

2.0
poor

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (65 Reviews)
July 12th, 2014 | 84 replies

Release Date: 07/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Temper Temper Pt. 2

I had especially low expectations going into Sonic Syndicate’s new self-titled album. Scratch that, I had no expectations for the album, because there were none to be had. The band had effectively shattered their reputation and any promise for a decent future when they released the vile We Rule the Night in 2010. It could have been due the lack of talent, or maybe it was a brilliantly executed self-aware negatively reinforcing moral booster – we’ve hit rock bottom. There’s nowhere to go but up! The point is, Sonic Syndicate’s new album is not terrible partly because anything sounds good after We Rule the Night, and partly because they cut out most of the asinine qualities that made their last album so bad. Yes, the incorrigible mess of banal metalcore with pop choruses loosely connected by cheesy electronic effects that filled We Rule the Night are gone… for the most part.

The problem with Sonic Syndicate is the same problem that plagues similar acts like Miss May I and Bullet for My Valentine on their latest records: it all sounds the fucking same. Every song has the same structure, the same screamed verses and sung choruses; there are absolutely no attempts at experimenting or branching out in any fashion. In Sonic Syndicate’s case, however, experimentation has proved to be a terrible thing, so it’s in effect a blessing in disguise that the band shed the fat and stuck to generic 4/4 pop-core (which is really sad when you think about it). Admittedly, it's not all terrible. Some hooks are enjoyable; a handful of riffs are catchy. For example, closer “The Flame That Changed the World” shows the band using keys in a tasteful manner, adding texture to the melodic nature of the music without becoming overbearing on the ears.

Still despite a few worthwhile moments, nothing on Sonic Syndicate holds any lasting value. The songs go in through one ear and out the other and leave no subtle nuances to pick up on during repeated listens. The harsh vocals are forced and hollow, the clean singing is uninspired and predictable, the guitar work is forgettable, and the rest of the rhythm section sort of blend together into a sonic wall of whiny mainstream metal.

But hey, at least it's better than We Rule the Night.

Inanimate Existence A Never-Ending Cycle of AtonementWithin the Ruins Phenomena
Origin OmnipresentMuse Dead Star/In Your World
Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2Black Tongue Born Hanged
2.4
peartnoy (2.5)
If old Sonic Syndicate was your thing, give this a shot. If not, move along....

July 12th 2014

their best album in a while. take that as you will

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

Sabrutin
July 12th 2014

I used to like bits from their older works, I guess I'll listen to this for curiosity in a way or another. The single "Black Hole Halo" wasn't terrible, but I haven't any expectations.

The review gives me exactly what I thought, virtual pos'd.

Digging: Aspid - Extravasation

zaruyache
July 12th 2014

Given how much crap "modern" melodeath there is out there I was pleasantly surprised by this album.
The only reason it's worth talking about at all is because of simply how passable the album is
compared to the rest of their crap discog--even though it's not worth talking about on its own
merits.

a puppy 3/5.

edit: gonna use that for my soundoff, actually. he he he

Digging: Alpha Male Tea Party - Droids

Greenpaw
July 12th 2014

I remember listening to these guys a little bit in high school.

Even then they were hard to get into.

Sabrutin
July 12th 2014

"Inoffensive "modern" melodeath that had me surprised by how much it didn't make me want to drop-kick a puppy 3/5"

Fair enough! I'll give this a try when I can, I still listen to Denied once in a while.

EvoHavok
July 12th 2014

Their first 3 albums were ok. Not interested in this at all.

Digging: Pandemonium - Insomnia

BigPleb

m/

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

Ikarus14
July 12th 2014

Gave it a few listens over the week. All of it just kind of blends into the background for me, but at least I can actually 'listen' to it. Nothing painful or nightmare endorsing like the last album, but still pretty uninspired.

ExplosiveOranges

Ouch.

Digging: Francis Harris - Minutes of Sleep

Durrzo
July 12th 2014

Pretty shitty album. Only song I like is the one Strid did guest vocals on.

NetherlandsAreDead
July 13th 2014

I hate their singer's voice. Strid is fucking awesome tho.

PitchforkArms

hahahaha, nice review ins

SnakeDelilah

Temper Temper Pt. 2

so this is a -1.0?

Digging: At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command

July 13th 2014

nah this is a rare occasion where the sequel is a bit better than the original

SnakeDelilah
July 13th 2014

i doubt it considering how fucking awful this band is

July 13th 2014

its bad but its less bad than their last two albums

peartnoy
July 14th 2014

This is a lot better than Temper Temper

trackbytrackreviews

Those tags lol

Metalcore / Pop Rock / Melodic Death Metal

Shiranui
July 15th 2014

So far, i've heard pieces from this. Will prolly listen to this tonight.

R6Rider
July 15th 2014

couldn't make it through this