Stray From the Path
Our Oceania

by matthew turok USER (30 Reviews)
July 11th, 2014 | 16 replies | 648 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 2005 was the most glorious year for metalcore; whitebelt was realized, deathcore was starting to get real cool, At The Gatescore everywhere, and Stray From The Path put out one of the most interesting, underrated albums in the genre.

Everybody knows Stray From The Path for their groove, the Rage Against The Machine vibes, and of course the bleghs. Not a lot of people really payed attention to them before they went into that vein, which is pretty disappointing, because they were always a great band. Our Oceania is way ahead of its time, it's chaotic yet melodic, but not in the At The Gates riffing manner, more like it was interspersed with atmospheric interludes, well done clean parts, and ambient electronic parts. The best analogy I can think of is Curl Up And Die-meets-post-rock-meets-sassy-hardcore. Anybody who's mosh was inspired by this was advanced AF and deserves an applaud.

It's unfortunate that at the time the scene was overloaded with so many trendy AF scene bands (many that were good) when there were groups like SFTP, Embrace The End, and Quell bringing such downright interesting, progressive metalcore to the table. If I could build a time machine, I would go back to the year 2005 and give myself a copy of this album and tell me to jock it as hard as possible, because it's seriously that next level. My 14 year old self would then proceed to blast Formaldehyde Kiss and spinkick everything in a 10 mile radius, whilest rocking a Reinventing Your Exit themed Underoath shirt. If you're not all about their new stuff (which is pretty cool for what it is), and like artistic hardcore this is definitely something you should check out.

Tower Of Rome & Gun Kata SplitCodex (USA) Delusions
Manners Pale Blue LightCavities Within The Wings
Smile To The Wind MomentsIron Lung White Glove Test
3.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP_1O_zKAo Formaldehyde Kiss.

July 11th 2014

Never heard their early stuff. Might check this out

Digging: Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

July 11th 2014

It's real different from what they're like now. Super artsy.

July 11th 2014

Holy shit this song is insane. I need this. Any other of their early albums worth jamming?

July 11th 2014

The other two are good but the old vocalist isn't as good and the production kind of detracts from it, plus there's not as much atmospheric stuff going on.

July 11th 2014

Alright sweet going to check this soon. This song is so good. Thanks dude.

weedblunt
July 11th 2014

i learned a lot about the album from this review. pos.

Gameofmetal
July 11th 2014

Well it's relatively entertaining but it's very short and not in depth enough at all. You just talk about the feel of it but no detail really about the instruments, production, or vocals.

weedblunt
July 11th 2014

don't know why all the negs appeared

see

Gameofmetal
July 12th 2014

I figure a review is supposed to be detailed and full of information. This one seemed a little weak.

Owantjaaaa

Finally a review!
their grind/metalcore stuff is much better than their latest album

Digging: Adebisi Shank - This is the Third Album

EyeForAnEye
July 12th 2014

Didn't know Sargent D from SYWH posted on Sputnik.

EyeForAnEye

Band also kinda sucks.

July 14th 2014

Sarge has a way different writing style idk.

Stray From The Path is pretty legit tho.

BTW I wrote a silly review about why this album is important, not the production and instrumentation, learn to critically think before you try to critique, kids.

Owantjaaaa

I got ur back

ILY bro.

I also need to say that if you think the quality of any piece of writing is derived from it's length you are a dumbass. The point of writing is to communicate a point, not to use a lot of words. There is a term for short, and to the point writing, it's succinct and it doesn't have a negative connotation.