Acme
To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist

by god ov dem USER (12 Reviews)
July 6th, 2014 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The missing link.

Ever sit and listen to a band like Converge, or maybe Zao, and just wonder how in the world the sonic blueprint created in 1981 by the legendary Minor Threat morphed into such a cacophonous wall of hardcore aggression? No? Well, I guess I'm alone on that one.

But I'm sure curiosity has struck you at some point in your musical ventures, regarding hardcore's evolution and fusion with metal, and just where it all started getting so goddamn intense. Sure, Integrity brought hardcore and metal together with their monolithic debut, Those Who Fear Tomorrow, and Rorschach took it even further with their additions of dissonance and noise. And you can look as early as 1984 with the band Siege, and the birth of thrashcore. But what about the monstrous vocals, the extreme speed riffing and noisy chaos? All traits so common today. Surely it didn't just happen over night.

Well, it did. Sort of. This is where Acme comes in. A short lived German act from the now-legendary Bremen scene in the early 1990's. Acme were, well, they were angry. Really angry. And they proved it wasn't just a facade. Taking the harsh, noisy hardcore styling of bands like Infest, adding influences from grindcore and metallic hardcore, they brought metalcore to the next level of intensity.

Relentless drumming, savagely sharp and massive riffing, and an absolute beast of a vocalist (dude makes Jacob Bannon sound like a parakeet rather than a pterodactyl by comparison) all contributed to their forward stepping of the genre. Yet, as with all metalcore, they knew how to retain an atmosphere of darkness. Through this, they helped bring metalcore to its final frontier.

To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist is a compilation of everything they produced during their short (but important) career as a hardcore band. And while they may not have had the most prolific career, this release marks a huge stepping stone in metalcore history, and absolutely deserves a spot in any fan's collection.

Scholastic Deth Final ExaminerPower Trip Manifest Decimation
Earth Crisis FirestormIntegrity Kingdom of Heaven (The Araca Sessions)
Earthmover Death Carved In Every WordUnruh Setting Fire to Sinking Ships
4.2

July 5th 2014

Found a copy of this CD in a store today (didn't expect it at all among the nu-metal, so happy I found it though) and figured it was time I farted out a review for it.

album rips, hard

Digging: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

YakNips
July 5th 2014

sweet review, I need to check this for sure

Digging: Jordaan Mason - The Decline of Stupid Fucking Western Civilization

eternium
July 5th 2014

One of the best things about 90s hardcore is this little record.

BMDrummer
July 6th 2014

Shweet review, this sounds interesting

avonbarksdale221

Oh shit a demi review
Really good work here dude hard pos

heyyy a Demigod review!

Great job with this one man, pos'd.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

thanks dudes

be sure to check this out, esp if you like converge or metalcore in general

July 6th 2014

will add this to your ever-growing list of metalcore recs :] Still gotta check Integrity's Fear
Tomorrow first though.

July 6th 2014

dude go do that right now!! seriously, best album ever

July 6th 2014

lol I know, you must've told me one thousands times by now. For some reason I keep forgetting, but I'll jam it soon, I promise.

fromtheinside

19172 Comments

: ( dem

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

HenchmanOfSanta

1926 Comments

Didn't realize this had no reviews and only 13 ratings. Great shit.

ResidentNihilist
July 6th 2014

good review demi, don't use dude in a review though it makes it sound like Bill and Ted wrote it.

ResidentNihilist
July 6th 2014

also check out Systral's compilation of all their early work as well. it's way better than this.

wacknizzle
July 6th 2014

Nice dude, glad this finally got a review. So goooood

Digging: Phobocosm - Deprived

adr
July 6th 2014

fuck yeah dude this rips

Digging: Boris - Boris At Last -Feedbacker-

RiffOClock
July 6th 2014

don't remember this being too good

well it is