A Slow Descent
Dance With Me Upon His Secret Ocean

by an actual bundle of sticks is smarter than you are USER (41 Reviews)
July 5th, 2014 | 51 replies | 1,047 views

Release Date: 01/26/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Where no man has gone before.

Space is quite an empty place, yet so vast. No life has been found, and yet many try to find the unknown. It’s a cold, dark and lonely place to be, and to sum it up, it’s fucking space: the final frontier, where no man has gone before, et cetera, et cetera. A Slow Descent (a one-man project by the one and only Mr. Nash J.) perfectly embodies these dark and brooding feelings, the despair and isolation of being in such a desolate place, and does it in only fifteen minutes. "Dance With Me Upon His Secret Ocean" is a “concept” EP, taking place on “Europa”, one of the many moons of Jupiter. The main concept revolves around a group of astronauts who venture to Europa. Distracted by the beauty of the moon, one of the astronauts goes missing, resulting in one of her fellow crew members to go out and search for her. This search ends in his demise, as he slowly suffocates underneath the icy surface of the vast landscape.

In only fifteen minutes, this concept is carried out, each track carefully and delicately detailing the plight of the unnamed astronauts. ”The Cold Surface of Europa Burns our Spaceship's Feet” starts off quite odd, but picks up the slack immediately, beginning the first phase of the story, and the difficult landing on Europa. ”She Walked Upon the Surface Against My Advice” continues with the disappearance of the crew member, and the beginning of the hopeless search. Despite the sound of the synthesizers being a bit too “amplified”, there’s an air of great despair due to the atmospheric instruments, pulsating with every note being played. ”Gracefully Sink Below the Ice Until Your Helmet Bursts” flat out states the ending, and concludes the EP with the demise of the unnamed astronaut as he sinks beneath the icy surface of Europa. The fate of the female astronaut and whether or not if the other astronauts either lived or perished in their (likely) search for the two who had gone missing is more mysterious than all of outer space itself. But perhaps this story will be expanded upon in the future. In the end, it’s all a dire and frankly hopeless situation. And that is why this EP works so damn well, and not only is it because of the atmospheric synths, or the barely-audible dialogue, but because it is just well orchestrated and thought-out.

With a sound similar to potentially the greatest keyboardist of all-time, Klaus Schulze, A Slow Descent is a project well worth giving your time to. Most likely the greatest artist to come from Sputnikmusic, A Slow Descent’s debut is the first step in something special, and not quite the last one either. Plus it takes place in fucking space goddamnit, check it out now.

Yes Heaven and EarthThe Flaming Lips 7 Skies H3
Swans To Be KindThe Mothers of Invention Uncle Meat
Octobre OctobreSt. Vincent St. Vincent

July 5th 2014

Excellent review Fripp, you really did the album justice! Been hoping someone would take a swing at reviewing this since January so thank you so much for taking the time to write something! Thanks again man, and I'm happy as hell to see that someone thinks that space is as fucking awesome as I do. :]

Digging: Integrity - Those Who Fear Tomorrow

another 4 review for a judio album eh

aight

Digging: Elvis Depressedly - New Alhambra

its a 5 calling it

July 5th 2014

dude i swear i've jammed this more than anyone cause i made 15 tapes of this and I listened to it everytime I made one not to mention the times I've listened to it for fun and played it in my car that's like 20-25 times HOLY SHIT

July 5th 2014

I believe it Yak, I show off my cassette of this album to all of the friends and they're super
jealous. Plus the tape is made 150% better by having laughingman's EP on it, which kicks more ass than
my music ever will.

July 5th 2014

One day the Hard Jammers labe will go vinyl, just you wait.

lol Hard Jammers label is dead

July 5th 2014

Hell no Yak, Hard Jammers will never perish! Even if I'm the last Hard Jammer standing, I will always
keep the hard jams alive.

Frip I'll check that soon dude.

July 5th 2014

yeah well I ain't dubbin shitty quality tapes anymore is what i mean

Id be interested in pressing 7" lathe-cut vinyl eventually though, but Id never want to try to start up a label again

July 5th 2014

Fair enough I suppose. I do still love my cassette for Dance With Me though, so there's no goddamn way Hard Jammers label was a failure by any means.

July 5th 2014

yeah dude I got like 50-100 tapes that are either dubbed or blank just sitting around my room lol I have no idea what to do with them

July 5th 2014

Keep em, one day those dubbed tapes are gonna be worth a fortune and you're gonna strike a goldmine with em, you just wait and see ;)

July 5th 2014

lol that would be nice eh

fallenbird
July 5th 2014

I should sign the Hard Jammers when my album is finished

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

July 5th 2014

keep hard jammers alive, I like the idea of a sput record label

Digging: Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove

BMDrummer
July 5th 2014

Yay a Fripp review, good job

Digging: Svffer - Lies We Live

July 5th 2014

dam haven't rated, gotta listen again

POS'd

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

best slow descent

fallenbird

What about Utopias?

July 5th 2014

I still like this more, but utopias is really close