Alex G
DSU

by complete and total fucking faggot USER (30 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2014 | 63 replies | 1,697 views

Release Date: 06/19/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I am not the boy you knew.

I used to get high all the time. Every weekday at lunch I would walk off somewhere and come back completely out of my head. I would walk to whatever my next class was, go in there before any other student would, sit in my desk, and lay my head down. That's what this album is to me. Nothing has ever reminded me more of sitting in the back of class, smiling, and being high off my ass.

Alex G is a pop musician from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that has consistently put out eccentric relaxing music since his first album in 2010. His new album DSU, sees his music in a state of feel-good pop euphoria with thirteen tracks over the course of about thirty minutes. The album opens up with the track "After Ur Gone" that accurately represents what you'll be hearing, the simplistic yet hypnotizing tunes of Alex G. The song opens up with some strange noises for a few seconds before going into a soothing yet energetic guitar riff coupled with lively drums. Despite the song only just starting, the mood is already completely set, and once Alex's vocals come in, it just adds on to the dreamy and spaced-out atmosphere that the music is drenched in.

The album follows suit with another highlight track "Serpent Is Lord", which contains another entrancing guitar riff, and from there just continues to impress with solid song after solid song, with each song ranging from under two minutes to around four minutes. Every other track on this album can be considered a highlight of the album, with the excessively catchy song "Harvey", the song "Promise", which contains a surprisingly funky bassline, and the slow-moving and almost melancholic song "Sorry". Despite the songs being simplistic and having pop sensibilities, they come off as sincere and mature, making the album as beautiful as it is fun.

With DSU, Alex G has crafted a consistent and mellow pop album with a ridiculous amount of replay value, as well as matured from his earlier works. There's really not much else I could ask for.

Elvis Depressedly mickey's deadFlower Face Homesick
Big Nig Marque un: le point de vue de nigs résuméRue Morgue Rue Morgue
Jeromes Dream SplitNayru Recollections

July 3rd 2014

came out kinda short but I didn't know what else to say.

it's just really really good.

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back from the Discomfort

Thane

this guy is amazing

yea he really is

seeing him live with elvis depressedly on the 29th i am so pumped

also "black hair" is so fucking catchy omg i cant get it out of my head

Judio!
July 3rd 2014

Sweet review Yak, definitely one of your best. The personal touch you added here, like you usually do in your reviews, works really well here. Based on the songs from this you q'd on plug last night this sounded pretty cool.

Digging: Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

thanks yo!

and that was actually G, he played the first song from this three times lol

Judio!
July 3rd 2014

Ah, sorry, I figured it had to be one of you two haha.

July 3rd 2014

lol yeah but I'll be playin his shit for a while don't worry

GmemberKills
July 3rd 2014

This might be your best review, for a album that really needed one. You touched on all of the things i enjoy about this. Pos

Digging: Elvis Depressedly - mickey's dead

July 3rd 2014

thanks dude! i'm really happy with it

i think i might finally start writing good reviews lol

Thane
July 3rd 2014

it's sad that his albums have so few ratings here i mean this dude is a huge talent

Green Baron

19126 Comments

no more diary entries, right? :D

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

no more sad songs

tommygun

this dude is dece yah

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

zakalwe

Ello TG.
That opening paragraph sounds like it was written by one of my teachers at school.
Fuck you Mr Walker.

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

sorry yo

zakalwe
July 3rd 2014

You were a role model to us all sir.

Kris.
July 3rd 2014

this dudes kinda blowin up huh

tommygun
July 3rd 2014

mr walker sell you some bad weed zak?

ShitsofRain
July 4th 2014

smoking that good shit

ScuroFantasma
July 4th 2014

Sweet review Yak, pos. Sounds like something I might dig. And you're seeing elvis depressedly soon? That should be great man, hope you have a good time.

Digging: Single Soul/Depression at Denny's - Bedroom Pop Illuminati