Aaron West and The Roaring Twenties
We Don't Have Each Other

by Levie Galapon USER (3 Reviews)
July 2nd, 2014 | 173 replies

Release Date: 07/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: this album is proof that Aaron West exists.

It’s almost ridiculous to think that We Don't Have Each Other is about a fictional character. Dan “Soupy” Campbell creates a visceral tale that gives life to a fictional character in a very real world. To understand the Aaron West character, Soupy would go as far as to write journal entries about Aaron West’s worst year. Undoubtedly, the amount of time, effort, and creativity that went into this album paid off.

Essentially, this album is about the worst year of Aaron West’s life and how he copes with the series of unfortunate events. From dealing with the loss of a loved one (St. Joe Keep’s Us Safe/Divorce and the American South) to dealing with depression and being worn out (The Thunderbird Inn/You Ain't No Saint). The way the story is told is seamless and surprisingly relatable. It is in this relatable factor that gives Aaron West life. For me Aaron West’s story reminds me of those long drives through the American South. You know, when you're on the road at two in the morning just trying to get home. Then you find yourself at some truck stop in a town you never heard of before.

In terms of sound there is little to no hints of The Wonder Years here. The closest Wonder Years song would be The Devil in my Bloodstream or any of their acoustic songs. But even then, here on We Don’t Have Each Other it never becomes too bombastic like the second half of The Devil in my Bloodstream. The whole album is more like The Mountain Goats than The Wonder Years. This is made clear with a The Mountain Goats cover and the lyric “I’m gonna go to Georgia” on Runnin’ Scared.

Soupy stated that this was supposed to be an exercise in better songwriting and guitar playing. However, it is clear that Soupy learned to become a better composer as well. Throughout the album there is a lot of different layers of instruments. The beautiful opener Our Apartment starts with clean electric guitar plucking. Then the song explodes into an eclectic mix of acoustic guitar, drums, and even banjo! Different uses of layering could be heard throughout the album. In a way, Soupy’s experimentation of different instrumentals is similar to that of Sufjan Steven’s compositions. But this ain't no Illinois, different layers of instrumentals, are used here to stress dynamics as compared to Sufjan’s thematic uses.

Due to the incredibly fleshed out character of Aaron West, it is hard to believe, that Aaron West is fictional. The relatable subject matter, infectious melodies, and incredible composition leaves We Don’t Have Each Other as an unforgettable experience. Who knows, maybe in the future it might become a benchmark to the genre. However, if anything, this album is proof that Aaron West exists.

ADV123 (4.5)
One hell of a side project....

YoYoMancuso (3)
We don't have happiness. Or a dad....

Rowan5215 (4.5)
Take the car and run....

dimsim3478
July 2nd 2014

oh man i'm going to need time for this one to sink in

Digging: Full Of Hell and Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

Calc
July 2nd 2014

"this album is proof that Aaron West exists."

my mind is blown

July 2nd 2014

@dimsim3478 I thought about that too before writing this. But I had the idea of the review ever since You Ain't No Saint came out a few weeks ago.

July 2nd 2014

@calc It's a hyperbole of course, I just wanted a statement that shows how realized the character, story, and concept is
pulled off.

Pajolero
July 2nd 2014

Can't wait to get home from work and listen to this.

Digging: The Mark Of Cain - Songs of the Third and Fifth

bet this is amazing

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

20158 Comments

good review too btw, especially for only your 2nd.

no need for a comma after instrumentals here

SnakeDelilah

WELL HE POURS ME A COFFEE AND ASKS ME IF IT'S BEEN A LONG NIGHT

Digging: Foxing - The Albatross

chug73
July 2nd 2014

Great review for a great album.

20158 Comments

might be better than the wonder years...

SnakeDelilah

5 it atari

20158 Comments

lol i haven't even heard the whole thing yet. I'm blown away so far though. The lyrics are at least on par with TWY (if not better) and the songs themselves are really well constructed

July 2nd 2014

@atari thanks man! I'm glad you liked it! Lol back in college I would never get those commas in the right place. And I agree, Soupy most likely did use some of his experiences. I mean on Our Apartment he said two things similar to what he said on Suburbia. He said something about sleeping on a couch alone and having lunch with an ex's sister like on Came Out Swinging and Woke Up Older

thelastsignal
July 2nd 2014

Very nice review, man; pos'd. This sounds awesome, can't wait to listen.

Digging: The Grouch x Eligh x CunninLynguists - The Winterfire EP

July 2nd 2014

@chug74 thanks man, it really is great!

@thelastsignal thanks for the pos, I really appreciate it! If you haven't heard it yet, im sure you will really enjoy it!

thelastsignal
July 2nd 2014

Yeah, def excited to spin it hopefully later on tonight.

SCREAMorphine

Good review mate.
I've enjoyed what I've heard of this so far.

July 3rd 2014

@screamorphine thanks for the feedback man!

YoYoMancuso
July 3rd 2014

Glad to hear people are digging this, I'd get it now but I already have it pre-ordered

Rowan5215
July 3rd 2014

Goddamn I was gonna review this, still will though
"I wouldn't doubt it if Soupy used some of his own personal life experiences to shape the story of this "fictional" character." my thoughts exactly

Digging: Sharon Van Etten - Are We There