Brontide
Artery

by Dan H. CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
June 29th, 2014 | 32 replies

Release Date: 06/30/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brontide turn the groove all the way up to turtleneck.

Artery is groovy, it’s sexy, it walks with a swagger, and it goes a long way in explaining why the build up to the album’s release was accompanied by dashing pictures of the band sporting suit jackets and turtlenecks. Those familiar with their debut however, will know that Sans Souci was a different beast entirely. A moody, progressive behemoth of a record; it was crammed full of multiple layers which forged dense and foreboding atmospheres – even coming off at times as a little too intense in its ambition. Artery sees quite a departure from this sound, and the main protagonists for this stylistic shift are, among others, James Blake and Kendrick Lamar, who topped the band’s playlists during its creation and opened their minds significantly. What’s more, the band decided to step away from being “complicated for the sake of being technical,” in a bid to involve the listener more in their music instead of just impressing them.

Which is often what you found yourself doing while listening to Sans Souci – admiring it, but from a distance. It was all too easy to find yourself scrutinising each layer, pinpointing each and every intricate detail the looper pedal had to offer, whilst merely tipping your hat to the technicality and ingenuity of Tim Hancock. Although it was highly impressive, it didn't allow for an immersive experience, and it’s something which the band has rectified on Artery. The brilliant, compact immediacy of both “Cabin” and “Bare My Bones” is testament to the successful change, and they have you nodding your head and tapping your feet before you've had chance to admire the layers which created the irresistible grooves. The intricate nature of Brontide’s music hasn’t been replaced by their desire for more instant connections, it’s just taken a backseat to brighter, more engaging melodies - and Artery is all the more enjoyable for it.

Although it’s true that they have trimmed the fat and chiselled the edges, there are still echoes of Sans Souci era Brontide scattered throughout which will be sure to appease their fans of old. Alongside Artery’s more accessible tracks sit the incredibly varied “Kith and Kin” and the progressive “Knives,” both of which shift their focus numerous times and demonstrate their penchant for unpredictability. Elsewhere, “Still Life” sees them take their first shot at an acoustic track - a particularly bold move for a band that thrive on stacking four or five guitar parts on top of one another. A tenderly plucked acoustic guitar quickly dispels these fears, and there’s a natural, organic beauty to “Still Life” which grows alongside the track’s intensity, proving beyond doubt that they’re capable of surprising us again in the future.

The tactful change of style on Artery paints Brontide as a more cohesive unit, and the guitar parts no longer stand boldly in the foreground taking centre stage. Although, predictably, they still provide many of the highlights, the more rounded approach they take allows the tight rhythm section to stand out more, and both Nathan Fairweather and Will Bowerman shine every bit as much as Tim Hancock. Artery sees Brontide let loose and express all of their different faces and influences, and they do so without ever having to abandon the sound which made them such a unique act in the first place.

Ben Howard I Forget Where We WereFACT Witness
Willis Earl Beal Acousmatic SorceryInterpol El Pintor
Maybeshewill Fair YouthTalons New Topographics

June 29th 2014

Out tomorrow, been streaming a while.

tommygun

whoa need this

very good review as always

June 29th 2014

Brilliant review, haven't heard the album yet but I'm glad it's review and that it's awesome, definitely good to hear that "the band decided to step away from being “complicated for the sake of being technical"" because that's what held the debut back a bit. This should be a killer

labria86
June 29th 2014

Dude the band just tweeted this review. That has to be the biggest honor you could receive for writing one.

June 29th 2014

Nigga plz, I've been given a free CD by a band for writing a review before

June 29th 2014

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I think you'll love it in that case, Mad.

Delighted to hear they tweeted it.

protonjon
June 30th 2014

It's great to hear Brontide living up to the potential they showed on Sans Souci. Excellent review.

Digging: The Great Wall - The Iron Triangle: Congress

June 30th 2014

Y'all should get a feature on this

ExplosiveOranges
June 30th 2014

Oh, good! You still review.

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

Calc
June 30th 2014

this is exactly what tides of man should have done with themselves

Brostep
June 30th 2014

haha at one point I got quoted on a Spotify ad but couldn't take a screenshot in time which is the best I've ever done probably. want to check this but currently listening to Big Freedia telling me to move my ass

decoyoctopus
June 30th 2014

great review. listening to album atm and really digging it.

ProjectFreak
June 30th 2014

I did a video review of a From Indian Lakes album and they posted it on their Facebook page, calling it "interesting"

Also I'm pretty sure I'll love this once I can hear properly again, great review

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Absent Sounds

henryChinaski
July 1st 2014

Cool, checking this out now. Never heard of these guys. Nice write-up!

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Absent Sounds

July 1st 2014

OK, so I gave this a listen and it's awesome. Definitely a bit less pointless-technical-riffing that the first one. Kind of like Solterra without the space rock influences.

To anyone who likes this I'd massively recommend Solterra - Umbra, it's incredible

SharkTooth

will do Mad

Digging: Fuzz - Fuzz

July 1st 2014

Thanks all. I'll check them out Mad, the name rings a bell and if they're anything like this then..

Futures
July 1st 2014

This sounds nice gotta jam

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

DarkNoctus
July 1st 2014

listening now and it reminds me of russian circles

well, if russian circles didn't suck

dig it

Veldin
July 1st 2014

hey Geneva is pretty cool, man

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io