Dying Sun
Transcendence

by SomeGuyDude USER (12 Reviews)
June 29th, 2014 | 6 replies

Release Date: 01/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What the hell was that.

Sometimes a band's name tells you everything you need to know. The phrase "dying sun" brings up images of the infinite expanse of space and the slow collapse of a star, its light fading and the planets around it descending into blackness. The word "transcendence" refers experiences beyond the physical realm. Both are excellent descriptions for the music contained herein.

This is a difficult album. Difficult to listen to and difficult to review. It's easily amongst the densest albums I've ever heard, which is incredible for a three man band. Everything is caked in reverb and distortion to the point that all the instruments blend into one mass. It's not "muddy" or "messy" by any stretch, but it is nearly impossible to pick the instruments apart in this mix. Even the drums somehow blend into the strings, making each track an agonized, and unified, howl into the dark. The vocals are pushed back in the mix and overdriven and echoed beyond recognition. The guitars are absolutely massive in sound. When opener "Generating the Sphere" starts up, you'll be left trying to figure out what's even happening. Is it music? Is it noise?

Some albums are very carefully produced so each instrument can be clearly heard, Dying Sun does the exact opposite. The first time there is ANY separation of the elements is at the beginning of "Weight of Time", and it gives the listener a greater appreciation for the style present. The drums stomp and crash at a glacial pace with a cavernous echo, and the sounds behind it are given a distinctly industrial flair (there are keyboards as well, but hold on), and when the quote-unquote "clean" vocals break in they're still nigh impossible to understand thanks to the treatment they've been given.

Categorizing Transcendence is tricky. The best I can come up with would be atmospheric industrial doom. The songs move at either a menacing lurch or an agonized crawl, but never drag. There are so many elements at work here it's almost absurd, but are never for anything but atmosphere and ambience. The monolithic band takes front and center, but all around them there are synths, strings, monastic chants, vocals and instruments are given extra post-production so they stutter and jitter, bouncing from side to side.

Of course, none of the above would matter if it weren't all carefully composed to fit its stylistic choices. Reducing instruments to a nebulous cacophony would mean nothing unless every song was written with that in mind. Because you can't hear the plucks of strings or individual notes and chords beneath the morass, the melodies are larger and more tidal, moving along as a unit. Each track's sound is the accumulation of all of its elements rather than separate melodies and harmonies.

After a solid six tracks of exhausting sonic horror, things take an odd break with the minute and a half long track "We Don't Belong Here" which, if I were feeling snarky enough, I would accuse of having a title that accurately explains its place on the album. It's a brief moment of rather directionless noise, with an indecipherable sample behind it, sung vocals, a synth line, and then it just stops. Taken on its own, it's a meandering track, and it doesn't add much to the album (and knocks off that half a point), but in the scope of the full album doesn't detract from it.

The eponymous album-closer is actually a perfect distillation of the album as a whole, with its monumental instrumentation and buried screams that swell and dissipate for a mid-song breath before coming back in full force again and fading into a piano outro, and then the album is over.

A single listen isn't enough for Transcendence simply thanks to the sheer density of it. Coming into it expecting a metal album made by clearly delineated instruments with this member doing this and that member doing that will leave you feeling like you've just been through a hurricane, water and wind pounding your flesh into oblivion. Then you'll come back for it again, and again.

Meniscus War of CurrentsGodspeed You! Black Emperor Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas...
Vials of Wrath Seeking RefugeHesperian Death Horse Mrtav
The Lion's Daughter and Indian Blanket A Black SeaBig Business Here Come the Waterworks

Voivod
June 28th 2014

album stream - http://dyingsun.bandcamp.com/album/transcendence

Good review, pos.

Jamming the album now and it sounds interesting, to say the least.

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

SomeGuyDude
June 29th 2014

I'm not even gonna lie, I didn't like this album at first. But I thought about it later and just kept wanting to give it another shot, now I just HAVE to give it the occasional listen. It's a name-your-price album, buy it. The extra quality from the download is WELL worth it.

ScuroFantasma

1923 Comments

Fantastic review. Without even listening to this I feel like I have a good understanding of what it's all about thanks to what you've written. It has pushed me to actually listen to it though (thanks for the link Voivod) so I will definitely check it out at some point.

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

TzarChasm
June 29th 2014

I love stuff like this, Darkspace, Sun of the Blind, etc. Thank you for introducing me to my newest
ambient, psychotic spiral.

Edit: I spent half the night sleeping with this playing in my earbuds and it was wonderful! This is
so much better than I'd expected it to be, honestly. Incidentally, there is a fair bit of
instrumental separation to be heard if you listen to Transcendence through good enough equipment.
Played through my iBasso DX90 the music remains extremely dense albeit carefully layered and multi-
dimensional. An iPod would never cut it for this, though.

SomeGuyDude
July 1st 2014

I never said it was messy. I said it was intentionally cacophonous, which it is. And while, yes, a DX90 is an upgrade from an older iPod, it's sort of irrelevant unless the speakers playing them are up to the task. I am quite sure that the ol' Macbook Pro with Shure SE846 are capable of pulling everything out of the recording, which is why I said what I did in positive terms.

ScuroFantasma
July 18th 2014

1923 Comments

This is actually really good.