Camel
Dust and Dreams

by DrJohn USER (22 Reviews)
June 26th, 2014 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The old traces were concrete, dreaming became plausible once again.

The drought led to erosion, and the winds blew away fertile soil, the blizzards came and “Dusted out” more than 100000 families, during the 1930s. I guess it’s hard for non-Oakies, to introject the denotations of a trail leading west, even when the facts are presented to them.

West has an inherent wontedness, to introject folks coming in from the east, almost like a polar opposite, it has a particular appeal towards those who seek after land, gold, fame, a new home or a second chance. It exerts an even greater appeal on those who lost theirs.

Behind romantic shades, belonging to a pair of eyes with superficial knowledge of historical context, California may seem to have an inherent wontedness towards absorbing, assimilating and becoming independent. It happened with the Spanish missionaries, the Mexicans, and when California admitted to the United States, it did so as a free state. In modern times, a lot of foreigners seem to consider California as the place to be…

Andrew Latimer moved in from England and founded his own Camel Production Label in 1991. Following a seven year hiatus, this was his effort to rejuvenate Camel. On the musical landscape he never had the piece of land, gold or fame his talents warranted, withal the vast majority of the Oklahoman families relocating back during the great depression, were not leaving a luxuriant life to begin with.
Nonetheless, that little they once had, mattered to them and to those who followed them; friends, relatives, siblings, aging parents or a young pregnant “Rose of Sharon”. In Camel’s case - strictly speaking Latimer’s case- it mattered to the fans that were … also to the fans that will be.

Behind John Steinbeck’s novel The Grapes of Wrath, the writer, wearing realistic shades and bearing profound knowledge, reminds us that California and most places during the Great Depression had a wontedness… being tough, or cruel towards those who didn’t have much to begin with, but it was not inherent, policies certainly played their part, and migrants paid the consequences. Therefore, on the trail leading west you may lose relatives or former collaborators and once there, it may become apparent that pregnant mothers, don’t always give birth. Besides you may come to find that things, from which you were running away, may still find you in “Cotton Camp” or under a twist of irony… disasters leading you to leave your home in the first place, could transform to the complete opposite yet still disastrous extreme (“Sheet Rain”). But not all is futile, as thunderstorms and “Hopeless anger” recede, some may find hope on higher grounds and a mother that would be, despite her grief can still find use for her motherhood. Andrew Latimer could still make great music you know.

I guess it’s hard for a non-Camel fan to introject the denotations, of a trail leading back to the days when Latimer, Bardens, Ward and Ferguson were a band, making progress that never gained the warranted piece of land, gold or fame on its respective landscape. I certainly think it’s even harder for one unfamiliar with Steinbeck’s novel, to introject my review on “Dust and Dreams”. With regard to both the above cases, I can admit that this album, might not be the one to pave the way for a fan that will be; if your eyes are fond of being behind Pink water shades though, you might somehow dig in.

Regarding the continuation of my review; some may argue that a drought or hurricane season lasting seven years can erase traces. I am glad this album renders this notion obsolete. The mother road is there tracing back to the glory days of the 70s, dust contextual or even musical yes, but the path is still present… the old traces were concrete you see and dreaming became plausible once again. After all, Latimer is air, a free spirit and as such I can’t see wind or rain being an issue for him. I also believe that to a greater or lesser extent, Camel fans, present or will be, are very much alike him.

In “Dust and Dreams”, you can hear a spirit still whispering through the rain, through a guitar (he really digs David in this one, let me tell you) and a voice… being almost omnipresent. As for the dust here and there, the few patches on the worn down clothes... with some patience and a few spins, you can still distinguish the same familiar figure… not Latimer’s figure… Camel’s spirit.
I myself would be patient with old friends coming home, allowing them to shake the dust off their clothes after a weary long journey, before… despite my anxiety hasting me to greet them and say:

- Welcome home, I missed you so much!
- But it’s only me… the others didn’t make it.
- Who... who do you think I was expecting?
- Never mind. After all, we didn't expect lots of people joining us up here, did we?
- No, we didn't... come in.

If you are a fan, or if you will be one day... I think you can also be patient. Yet when it comes to Camel; we are very much alike.

Wayne Shorter Speak No EvilThe Crazy World of Arthur Brown The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Wipers Over the EdgePat Metheny Question and Answer
BABYMETAL BabymetalKenny G. Breathless

June 26th 2014

Enjoyed reading that, great album after all that crap they did for a while.

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

June 26th 2014

Thanks! Glad you found some entertainment value on this one. Yes, it got better from this album onwards, and the theme was more than pertinent.

Jethro42
June 26th 2014

I think Hopeless Anger is the best song here. I need to recheck the album.

(Jethro)

Hopeless Anger's "mid-section" is the most reminiscent track of "early" Camel, if that's what you mean.

Jethro42
June 26th 2014

Yes, that's what I mean. I like songs like Needles too.

June 26th 2014

The only thing keeping me, from grading this a hint higher, is that it would be disproportionate towards their early albums…

June 26th 2014

I prefer the one after this, got them both at 4 tho. Actually I prefer all the ones after this. I know they aren't as good as their early classics but don't mind overeating them a bit bcos it's Camel.

Fair enough mena

btw I love the guitar work on "Rajaz"

manosg
June 27th 2014

Haven't checked this one yet but Harbour of Tears is great. In a way both albums deal with immigration which is interesting. I have watched The Grapes of Wrath and I can only imagine how hard it was for those people.

Very good write up DrJohn too, pos.

Digging: John Coltrane - Ballads

lauriej
June 27th 2014

"The Grapes of Rough"...?

Digging: Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

June 27th 2014

Thanks manosg. I think you will find this album interesting, if you give it a try, especially if you dig a "Gilmourish" approach on guitars and Roger Waters aesthetics.

Harbour of Tears is good as well...less dust, green shades there;)

ButteryBiscuitBass
June 27th 2014

Isn't it The Grapes of Wrath?

(lauriej)

hmmm...Well the Grapes of Wrath are rough I suppose. Is the film any good?

(Buttery)

Of course it is, 'lauriej' was kind enough pointing out proofreading oversights.

manosg
June 27th 2014

" I think you will find this album interesting, if you give it a try, especially if you dig a "Gilmourish" approach on guitars and Roger Waters aesthetics."

I've yet to find a man in his right mind who doesn't dig Gilmour's approach so that's great info.

"Is the film any good?"

It's great provided you're ok with older movies from the '30s and the '40s. Henry Fonda stars who's an awesome actor really.

June 27th 2014

Cool...I'll check the film manosg, I don't have a problem diggin in to "oldies" occasionally (depending on mood).
I must be honest and admit that I wrap my self up in a wet blanket, when it comes to “Individuals”, being in a right state of mind, considering popular music trends and stock market that is…

ButteryBiscuitBass

Doc-Doc-Doc-Doc-Doctor John
Doc-Doc-Doc-Doc-Doctor John

June 27th 2014

fksake now i got that 'doc-doc-doctor beat' song in my head thanks

(Buttery)

"considering popular music trends and stock market that is…"

I wasn't referring to Bieber, Bieber is the GOOD STUFF!