Allegaeon
Elements of the Infinite

by Adam Gola USER (41 Reviews)
June 26th, 2014 | 17 replies

Release Date: 06/24/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brutally heavy, futuristic and thrashy, yet its memorability is somewhat sacrificed due to prevalent fast tempos and lack of catchiness.

Allegaeon have made quite a name for themselves in the metal community as the go-to band when you need something thrashy, melodic and futuristic. They've captivated many a listener with their unique, ubpeat compositions and outstanding solos, all sprinkled with that futuristic, scientific vibe that so many bands try to achieve with mixed success - or at the expense of cheesiness. And now the time has come for their thrid album, Elements of the Infinite.

Due to the pitfalls of the fast-paced formula Allegaeon have chosen for themselves, the band has always been half-killer-half-filler. It is no different this time around. While the songwriting quality is at an all-time high and there are "moments" in every song on the album, the fast-paced assault Allegaeon confine themselves to makes it more difficult for the songs to stand on their own - the variances in tempo that generally set songs apart from each other are all but absent, and therefore the band have to rely on the quality of the riffs themselves to make things interesting. And they succeed - most of the time.

Obviously, the track teased earlier with the hilarious music video, "1.618" is a standout track, showing some of the band's strongest songwriting. Sadly, it surpasses the immediate catchiness of most other tracks, though after several listens others start to be growers as well - particularly the most melodic track of the album "Gravimetric Time Dilation". Luckily, towards the end of the album the guys really start mixing things up, with the experimental "Through Ages of Ice - Otzi's Curse" and the traditional long and progressive closer track "Genocide for Praise - Vals for the Vitruvian Man", which isn't quite as strong as "Accelerated Evolution" from their debut album, but still quite good. Prolonged acoustic guitar passages appear several times throughout the album and are a very welcome addition to what is otherwise quite uniform in sound and structure.

As with all Allegaeon albums, Elements of the Infinite is probably best enjoyed in small chunks, one song at a time - just like eating one Mars bar will be quite enjoyable, but eating three you'll feel less and less of the flavor with every next one you eat. At the very least, the album will definitely satisfy those who loved Allegaeon in the first place, though it might not woo those of lukewarm disposition towards the band.

Album rating: 3.4

Assemble The Chariots The Sulphur VoidsBeyond Creation Earthborn Evolution
Scar Symmetry The Singularity - Phase I: NeohumanityFallujah The Flesh Prevails
Nexilva EschatologiesSatariel White Ink: Chapter One

psyclonus
June 26th 2014

yeah i'm inclined to agree with you. still think Fragments... is by far their best work, Formshifter being way too bloated and this new one sitting somewhere in between. some good riffs here and there but it just sounds too samey. small doses is a good call. pos'd

FrozenVain
June 26th 2014

I really like their self-titled debut and fragments and pretty much agree with what psyclonus just commented.

Great review, man. I'm glad to hear about the acoustic guitar passages but I'm sad to hear that there is a lack of catchiness here as well which is one of the main reasons why I didn't like Formshifter that much.

FrozenVain
June 26th 2014

I can dig this. I actually found this better than Formshifter but this is still not a very strong 4.

June 26th 2014

Well yeah, this is pretty rad to listen to, but there are no "Omg, this is so fucking awesome" moments.

Asmodeuss1990
June 27th 2014

I think its a pretty solid album.

Asmodeuss1990
June 27th 2014

I'm probably rating it too high but I'll lower it as needed if some of the music starts to bore me.

Gameofmetal
July 1st 2014

I hope this is good.

linguist2011
July 8th 2014

1922 Comments

Really enjoyed this album, the instrumentation is extremely tight and solid and reminds me of a more experimental Sylosis at times. The lengthier tracks towards the end are brilliantly written, and the album is closed appropriately well with "Genocide for Praise". The three consecutive songs "Dyson Sphere", "The Phylogenesis Stretch" and "1.618" put me off a little because to me they were weaker than the album's opening two tracks, but for the most part this is a really consistent sound.

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

July 8th 2014

This is much more interesting than Sylosis, I'll give it that.

trilogique21
August 5th 2014

it's fun

Gameofmetal
August 5th 2014

On first listen I pretty much whole heartedly agree with this analysis.

Anthracks
August 11th 2014

This is the sound Arsis wish they could capture

Digging: The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World

ASnideReturns
August 11th 2014

I only have the Fragments album by this band, how do their latest two albums compare because I really dig that album.

Wolfhorde

Augury >

Digging: Vi Som Alskade Varandra Sa Mycket - Den sorgligaste musiken i varlden

August 18th 2014

would be crazy to see these guys live

godbuster
November 24th 2014

Goddammit allthegayones!

Formshifter was much better, sorry.

Digging: Fukpig - Belief is the Death of Intelligence

November 25th 2014

I think Accelerated Evolution is still their best song.