Deftones
Adrenaline

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (132 Reviews)
June 22nd, 2014 | 115 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The start of something great.

Deftones have turned into one of the most essential bands out there overtime and for good reason. Their willingness to experiment with a vast array of genres always pays off, Chino’s vocals are one of a kind, and each individual instrument is played with admirable passion and character. Ever since their sudden rise to the alpha male of alternative metal with the release of White Pony, the band has continuously been held on a pedestal as a key influence for many bands out there nowadays. However, before this eventual rise to the top, they were just a small band like many other of their stature and before any of this experimentation existed a nu metal sound that was relatively new at the time. Along with Korn’s debut album, Adrenaline helped to establish nu metal as a genre and though it may not be the most consistent nu metal album out there, it certainly proves to be one hell of an intense ride.

Driven by fantastic production and genuine angst, Adrenaline is a whole different beast in the Deftones discography. The album is littered with Chino’s exceptional yet not perfected screams, memorable guitar work and punchy bass riffs. This is most evident in “Minus Blindfold” as Chino delivers a rare spoken word performance as Chi’s talented bass work rages on in the background as well as the menacing guitar riffs. Abe’s drumming also proves to be not too shabby either. The band delivers more of the same in “One Weak” while Chino belts out his signature whispers and shouts. However, the undeniable standouts are none other than “Root” and “Fireal” which showcases a little taste of what the band has to offer us in the future. The guitar and bass work in “Root” show charismatic chemistry and though Chino’s vocals aren't entirely developed in the song, the listener will be impressed by the skillful songwriting. As for “Fireal,” not only is the instrumentation also top notch, Chino showcases some of the mesmerizing charisma and intensity that he is known for today.

It’s true that Adrenaline does have its fair share of intensity and skillful songwriting, but the only trade off is the lack of variety. The problem proves to be how most of the songs fall under a spell of predictability. For the most part, most of them start out the same way and end the same way with the songs following a fairly standard structure. “Bored” serves as the great choice as the album opener because its engrossing guitar work and Chino’s passionate, angsty delivery, but unfortunately some of the later tracks like “Lifter” and “7 Words” fall under the same basic structure. Granted, this gripe does not make the record a disaster by any means, but once a listen of Adrenaline is finished, there will be a since of the band did not utilize their final potential. This potential may not be visible on this album, but rest easy knowing that a storm is coming.

Adrenaline serves as a rock solid debut of a band that hasn't found their signature sound and musicianship just yet. Bursting at the seams with infectiously catchy instrumentation and performances by Chino that will leave the listener breathless, Adrenaline is one hell of an entertaining ride. Sure Chino’s lyrical style hasn't fully developed yet and the same can be said for his voice, but he still had a decent set of pipes and a unique voice one of a kind voice. Nu metal certainly got great treatment with Deftones' debut, but it only improved in the years to come.

Alcest KodamaThrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere
Haken The MountainCult of Luna and Julie Christmas Mariner
Explosions in the Sky The WildernessRush Moving Pictures
jtswope (2)
Adrenaline is Deftones' most underdeveloped album, but a handful of tracks make for a fiery, heavy e...

bicepman4000 (4.5)

Maniac!s Main. (Broba Feiticeira) (4.5)
even Enrique was an angsty teenager once....

reneklown (4)

June 21st 2014

I really wanna do a discography write up of Deftones. Will probably not be all in a row, but it's happening :D

Ryus
June 21st 2014

haha necro's rush series started off with "Chapter I: The Start of Something Special"

sweet review too, though i think its a 3

Digging: DJ Sports - Modern Species

7 Words

How did I start my Anberlin discog?

June 21st 2014

Haha wow did it? Anyway thanks dude.

Chapter I: Bold Beginnings

StKiyo

WHAT ABOUT ENGINE Nº.9

Digging: Color Film - Living Arrangements

tempest--

20257 Comments

I haven't even listened to this in its entirety actually not even a real deaftones fan!!!!

GmemberKills
June 21st 2014

Oh man this will be great. Can't wait till the SNW review

June 21st 2014

Dammit Lloyd! And yea, SNW and especially WP will be fun to do ;) I'm really surprised there not contrib or staff review for that one wow.

PostMesmeric
June 21st 2014

Pre-White Pony Deftones is super underrated. "Root" is a monster track and "Engine No. 9" is killer.

If you're after a full discog review, Mongi, be sure not to limit yourself to the LP's. Be sure to look at B-Sides and Rarities, and if you're daring, the Covers album.

SNW or WP?

June 21st 2014

I've actually not heard those post! I really should.

And Green not for WP.

June 21st 2014

wow damn that is pretty surprising

tempest--

20257 Comments

dude I even have the CD, I just haven't heard hahaha

definitely check the B-Sides & Rarities compilation though, the acoustic tracks on there are :')

SnakeDelilah

19370 Comments

happy belated chino

June 21st 2014

SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK!

PostMesmeric
June 21st 2014

B-sides and Rarities has the Deftones cover Skynyrd's "Simple Man", and I swear, I've yet to hear a cover of any song that I love more than that.

June 21st 2014

I'll definitely give those a try sometime. I honestly can't promise I'll review them but I'm

interested to see how they do other band's justice.

anachronisticanarchy
June 22nd 2014

Deftones is a truly talented band that flies in the face of its contemporaries. I might listen to this sometime, despite the reviews.

FadedSun
June 22nd 2014

First Deftones I bought. Figured more people would like this album - I love it.