Kasabian

good

by Elliott S. Edwards STAFF
June 19th, 2014 | 6 replies

Release Date: 06/09/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ("...yeezus christ...")

Kasabian have more or less garnered the dubious reputation of being a singles band since they arrived with their pseudo monumental debut. While it always gives the band a sense of reliability when it comes to anthemic and memorable choruses, albums have always been a dodgy proposition. Stripped of the bullshit and sporting a sleek minimalist art aesthetic, 48:13 may be the bands most concise effort yet; whether that means much is anyone's guess.

Divided into 3 sections prefaced by rather inconsequential instrumentals, 48:13 benefits from being a lean 10 tracks mimicking their debut. The singles make themselves startlingly apparent- rave ready rhetoric "eez-eh", boastful guitar pieces "bumblebee", "doomsday", "stevie", future live fan favourite "s.p.s."- with the rest of the tracks falling somewhere between inoffensive and uneventful. "treat" is anything but, 7 minutes of Primal Scream-aping rambling intended as a simulation of darkened Madchester. The rather forced penultimate "bow" remains possibly Sergio Pizzorno's biggest musical misstep, a moment of nu-metal radio angst 10 years too late. It's moments like these that detract from the albums otherwise top notch pedigree of influences (Kanye West, punk rock, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Ennio Morricone), itself almost achieving a postmodern observation of British Indie rock in the '10s.

It's a shame, too. Kasabian are well overdue a masterpiece that peers The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys have already delivered on. Their spot atop of Glastonbury's Pyramid stage is no fluke; when he wants to, Pizzorno can write a brilliant and memorable A-Side. Whether this will lead to Kasabian ever creating a masterpiece is debatable; 48:13 remains but a stopgap on the way to Kasabian's inevitably brilliant singles collection.

Jay-Z 4:44Vince Staples Big Fish Theory
Katy Perry WitnessHarry Styles Harry Styles
Drake More LifeNav NAV
3.1
good
Raul Stanciu STAFF (3.3)
Gearing more for the huge summer festivals rather than assembling a proper record....

Arcade
June 18th 2014

more of the same. if you already disliked/liked kasabian to begin with this won't change your mind. so. feedback appreciated.

Digging: Aminé - Good For You

BMDrummer
June 18th 2014

Good review, doubt I'll ever listen to this though. Didn't ever really like the band in the first place

DrGonzo1937
June 19th 2014

Hate this band, but the guitarist in my band put a track on last night, sung by the other guitarist in Kasabian? Quite liked it, and the other songs he's sung on this album.

Arcade
July 30th 2014

gonna see these guys Tuesday, pretty pumped

kascetcadettt
March 17th 2017

the singles from this were so much fun compared to the new one

conditionals
April 16th 2017

Man this thread is slim pickings. I like this album, I just ordered it on vinyl today. 'Bumblebee', 'Bow' and 'Doomsday' in particular are great tracks, easily up there with any of their post-debut material. I also think 'Eez-eh' is the definition of an amazingly stupid-ass jam.

I'm constantly surprised how much of a fan I am of this band. They've been a guilty please since 2004.