5 Seconds of Summer
She Looks So Perfect

good

by Joshua Smith USER (7 Reviews)
June 17th, 2014 | 7 replies

Release Date: 04/01/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 5 Seconds of Summer gives Pop Rock a larger appeal.

Pop music needs no introduction. Infamous artists like Nicki Minaj and the like have been adored by millions and hated as well. Anything popular will get most of the same result. 5 Seconds of Summer is no exception, from the outside, they look horrifyingly similar to the pop 5-piece (l)One Direction(/l) with the 'clean cut' image with over exaggerated poses on album covers (Am I the only one who notices that?). One Direction is loved by everything with ovaries from the ages of 9-16 and make bland music, and like every other pop star, they sing "I love you" to an imaginary girl and it catches on for some reason.

That being said, is this band similar to One Direction? Absolutely, but they hold a different musical identity and are no where near as bland as One Direction, thank God. One Direction claims themselves to be a rock group when that couldn't be further from the truth. The reality of One Direction is that they try so hard to be rock, but ultimately it falls far short. 5 Seconds of Summer takes the rock thing more seriously, and benefits greatly by it.

"She looks so perfect" being the first track showcases this, as well shows they are musically competent with the guitar, but I hate the lyrics so much. The verses are fine, but the chorus is just awful

You look so perfect standing there
In my American Apparel underwear
And I know now, that I'm so down
Your lipstick stain is a work of art
I got your name tattooed in an arrow heart
And I know now, that I'm so down

Really? Thankfully, the chorus the only cringe-worthy moment I saw in this song, the rest of the song is fairly decent. "Heartbreak on the big screen is drastically better than the last song, less electronic influence, and a lot stronger of a rock presence. While the lyrics are improved, one thing this band never seems to not use the generic song structure. It fails to keep the song interesting.

The final track "The Only Reason" has the best lyrics on the whole ep, and provides a brighter contrast between the pop and rock elements. It closes the EP, and overall it's a good closer (especially considering it's their first EP)

5 Seconds of summer is not amazing by any means, but they have really shown that boybands are not just to point and laugh at. They are fairly good with their respective instruments and can churn out some music that while not much more than a guilty pleasure, is still good. are they the 'revival' of rock music? no. not at all, for me rock is alive in well, especially with bands like Saosin. However, 5 Seconds of Summer could potentially be the first boyband in a while to not just be money making puppets - as they have clear and definable talent. While this EP has things that bring it down, it's enjoyable enough and a good start for 5SOS.

Escape the Fate This War Is OursNever Shout Never Me & My Uke
Whitechapel Our Endless WarImpending Doom Nailed. Dead. Risen
Chris Tomlin Burning LightsCasting Crowns Thrive
1.9
poor

Aftertheascension
June 17th 2014

I linked the Saosin LP in recommendations, ignore the fact that it links the EP (Same name, I could not find a way to choose which one)

tell me what you think of the review

Digging: Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What It Takes to Move Forward

Mort.
June 17th 2014

"Pop music needs no introduction"

whenever someone writes this at the beginning of the review, they immediately go on to explain/introduce whatever they just said needed no introduction.

Digging: Blindead - Affliction XXIX II MCMXCVI

Ech this band

Digging: The Antlers - In the Attic of the Universe

SPRFanOf5H
June 17th 2014

Cannot stand these guys, especially on "She Looks So Perfect". Whoever sings the chorus sounds like Fall Out Boy no fucking joke.

Australian girls go nuts for these four retards.

Brostep
June 17th 2014

she looks so perfect actually fucking rules and the rest of the ep is dec. review is not terrible but I'd compare these guys more with a clean-cut pop punk group with stereotypical "male hotties" like All Time Low

fallenbird
June 17th 2014

Title track is actually a solid pop song even though I hate these guys with a fiery passion.

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Controlled Breathing