Wolves at the Gate
VxV

by Christopher Geriak USER (40 Reviews)
June 12th, 2014 | 30 replies

Release Date: 06/10/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Change isn't always necessary, you just need to expand your horizons.

Nobody likes Christian rock and metal anymore, except for Christians themselves. Many people just assume that most CCM bands are nothing more than rip-offs who are trying to make a name for themselves while trying to portray a message about God in their music. True, they do have their all-too preachy lyrics and I don’t blame anybody for hating Christian music for that reason, but the one thing that I can say is that it gives them a reason to write their music, which in turn gives them the passion to perform their music. Take Wolves at the Gate for example, they are a Christian post-hardcore band that contains the typical “Jesus saves” lyrics, so you would expect to hate them because of it. However, there’s a surprise at the end of the tunnel, especially when it comes to VxV.

By all means, Wolves at the Gate are hardly original, but what makes them a stand out group is the ability to write and perform with feeling, as if they have an ongoing mission that they need to accomplish. They bring out their energy so amazingly well yet their sound provides a mature and enjoyable experience that never feels bland or tired throughout. VxV flows so nicely and consistently that it was hard not to appreciate their style and passion to their writing. However not only do they continue that flow, but they improve and expand upon it rather than change it with such integrity to create an even more complex yet focused record.

The blend of musicianship that VxV shows is incredible. The vocals fit so perfectly within the instrumentation, as the harsher vocals give out that punch in the gut feeling such as in the starting song “Wake Up” while the cleaner vocals flow with the music excellently and shows the emotional depth that’s placed within the music. The vocalists, Cobucci and Detty, work together beautifully, creating an excellent mixture of contrast and harmony throughout. The overall instrumentation is performed phenomenally with a clean yet aggressive sound that gives the album the energy it needs such as in “Dust to Dust” and “The Convicted.” The production has made a vast improvement as well, letting the members do what they need to do to create the music that they want to make. None of the songs feel forced or tired; instead they feel like they were made with purpose thanks to the lyrics. Yes they are preachy, but it adds to the charm and passion that gives Wolves at the Gate the needed push that makes them stand out above other CCM bands such as Demon Hunter.

Not only has Wolves at the Gate delivered a wonderfully consistent record, but they’ve accomplished a relatively impossible task. They don’t change their sound as most bands would often do, but they expand it and as a result, develop a meaningful, mature album. All of aspects from their debut album have been created anew, and are made in a believable and emotional sense. They don’t create a clichéd and overridden stereotype that most CCM bands deliver. They create a beautifully crafted and amazingly structured album, and whether or not Wolves at the Gate can continue the trend they’ve set themselves is something only time, and maybe God, can tell.

Thousand Foot Krutch Oxygen: InhaleIn Flames Soundtrack to Your Escape
Theory of a Deadman SavagesRhapsody of Fire Symphony of Enchanted Lands II
Starset TransmissionsRhapsody of Fire Power of the Dragonflame
Subhodeep Dasgupta (3.5)
If you are a fan of the genre, you’ll dig this album, and if you’re a fan of the band, there’s...

June 11th 2014

Streaming here: http://www.goldenmp3.ru/wolves-at-the-gate/vxv

Almost forgot that this album existed. But this was one that I wanted to review for a while.

Constructive criticism is appreciated as always.

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Controlled Breathing

skoopy48
June 11th 2014

Good review man, album is brilliant.

Digging: Let It Happen - Cause Effect

TooLateToGoBack
June 12th 2014

Really didn't expect them to improve so much.

Great stuff.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

June 12th 2014

Good review, really digging this album. Vocals are so damn good.

Futures
June 12th 2014

Opening paragraph is a joke

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

Beardog

Really good album, but I wouldn't give it a 4.5, review is as good as the album

Clifgard
June 12th 2014

Not a huge fan of hard-core, to be honest, but I might just have to check to this one out. Good review, pos'd.

Better than DH's Extremist? That's been my CCM metal jam lately.

June 12th 2014

I honestly think Extremist has more hooks but this album has more emotion. I'd say it's just as good.

June 12th 2014

I would say it's better but I'm not really a huge DH fan.

Ecnalzen
June 12th 2014

I'm hesitant to check this out. I enjoy Captors quite a bit, but generally I only really like one album from metalcore bands, and the rest are just meh retreads of whichever album I really liked.

Wolfhorde
June 12th 2014

If it's not mid-2000s I don't wanna hear about it.

June 12th 2014

Honestly, if you liked Captors then you probably will like this one. Granted the lyrics are a bit more preachy this time but it's still great.

Ecnalzen
June 12th 2014

I noticed that from that from a couple lyric videos I saw. That was the other reason for my hesitation.

Listening to Relief right now, tho, and its pretty good. I can't remember what the first song they put out from this was, but I wasnt super fond of it.

June 12th 2014

Dust to Dust, I actually really like that song, but East to West is probably the best song on here.

June 12th 2014

I actually thought East to West was one of the weaker tracks, though I still like it. I'm really into
The Bird and the Snake, definitely an emotional high point for the album imo. The last minute or so is
fantastic.

June 12th 2014

Damnit, those stupid negs. Aw well

Clifgard
June 13th 2014

Came expecting monotonous breakdowns and unintelligible yelling. Surprised by melodies, amazingly versatile vocals, and serious riffage.

This one might be a buy on next paycheck. Thanks for the review.

Thibs
June 13th 2014

i thought it was no good

Digging: Slugdge - Gastronomicon

DreamAgain
June 13th 2014

Fantastic album. Best of the year, so far.

DreamAgain
June 13th 2014

I don't get the first paragraph though. Non-christians hate Christian music? Since when? I'm the furthest thing from a Christian yet some of my favorite bands like Emery, Thrice, and Underoath are Christian. Only a very few select people hate on something JUST because it's Christian.. most ppl don't give a shit.