Equilibrium
Erdentempel

by DoctorVelvet USER (4 Reviews)
June 9th, 2014 | 60 replies

Release Date: 06/06/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Erdentempel is yet another evolution for Equilibrium. And it's definitely still Equilibrium.

These are the thoughts that should come to mind when thinking of Equilibrium: melodic, grandiose, awe-inspiring, uplifting, epic. While all of the band's albums vary from each other in sound, they all remain home to the previously listed adjectives. 2005's Turis Fratyr took on a more atmospheric, nature-themed tone, and was overall the least hard-hitting as a metal album. 2008's Sagas, the band's widely regarded opus, felt like a soundtrack to the greatest battle of all time; it was also faster and heavier than its predecessor. 2010's Rekreatur was then even faster and heavier than Sagas but went lighter on the folk influences and heavier on the orchestrations.

The only release we've seen from Equilibrium since Rekreatur has been 2013's Waldschrein EP, a little disc consisting of an original song, an unreleased demo, a cover, and a remake. The original track upped the folk influences back into absolute full swing. The song was also fairly simple, but still trademark Equilibrium, as it maintained the grandiosity that the band is known for. Waldschrein wasn't enough evidence to go by so it left fans wondering what 2014's LP would bring.

Erdentempel continues exactly where Waldschrein left off. The folk aspect is the highest its ever been in the band's career, the songs all short and simple in structure. But as always Equilibrium sounds like Equilibrium. This album is melodic, grandiose, awe-inspiring, uplifting, and epic. And again as always, Erdentempel packs the expected Equilibrium punch, but with a unique tinge of its own.

The tinge this time isn't based around atmosphere, battle anthems, or what have you. Erdentempel takes on one goal and achieves it nearly flawlessly. That goal was to create an album filled with simple and easily digestible tracks, each being able to stand on its own. That is, without the need for the rest of the album's context; you can listen to and fully enjoy any given track. This is the first Equilibrium album I feel completely satisfied listening to on shuffle.

As for the music itself: for one it's again the folkiest stuff we've seen from the band. The overarching element this time is energetic, fun, and happy sounding music. But more importantly, the album is chock full of catchy hooks and melodies, some of them downright infectious. Be it Karawane's pounding chorus, Uns'rer Flöten Klang's knee-slapping lead and almost "barnyard-sounding"instrumental break, or The Unknown Episode's anthemic sing-along vocal delivery--there are some seriously gratifying moments on Erdentempel. You are bound to find yourself coming back to certain tracks, if not to the entire album. There isn't a bad track on it, and though there are some that stand far above the rest, almost every one is unique.

The only complaint I can really muster lies in the album's consistency. I find that, while still enjoyable, tracks six to eleven just aren't as good as the first five tracks (and track twelve). I do still enjoy these lesser songs, and I've also read several reviews in which people's favourite moments are contained within said songs, so the album is in no way discredited. A lot of it seems to come down to preference, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't slightly let down by the second half of the album.

But in the end, the only way I can foresee disappointment with Erdentempel is if people are going in with expectations. If you are expecting, or better yet yearning for an experience that a previous Equilibrium album offered, you will surely be disappointed. What Erdentempel satisfies as is a romp of an album containing an onslaught of catchy, uplifting folk melodies. No, it's not the most complicated or challenging of epic metal albums, but damn if it isn't one of the funnest listens out there.

Must-hear tracks: Was Lange Währt, Uns'rer Flöten Klang, The Unknown Episode, Waldschrein.

ScuroFantasma (4.5)
Masterfully crafted....

June 8th 2014

Originally written at Metal Horizons.

zaruyache
June 8th 2014

Sagas is phenomenal, so I'll have to check this out sometime I guess.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

June 8th 2014

If you liked Sagas there's no reason why you wouldn't like this. Sagas is still the better album, though.

ScuroFantasma
June 9th 2014

Great review man, folk metal rules. I'd better check this out because that 4.5 is looking good.

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

June 9th 2014

Haven't listened to these guys in days

June 9th 2014

I was sitting at a 4 for a little while until it occurred to me that I was just enjoying this album way too much. There are several songs on here that are minblowing and the rest of them are generally all great.

SCREAM!
June 9th 2014

Nice review! Will definitely look into this

Digging: Svartidau?i - Flesh Cathedral

emester

only thing I have ever heard from these guys was their Sons of Skyrim cover

Digging: Skelator - King of Fear

Sabrutin
June 9th 2014

Nice review, "Wirtshaus Gaudi" is just amazing. Check out the music video, if you like beer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bYMAgM42pM.

just heard Karawane

yea sagas rules

Diamondize

gotta check this

standundefeated
June 10th 2014

Surprising album, very happy with this release and just how folky it is!

Whispered4tw
June 10th 2014

It's a different beast compared to Sagas in terms of approach, but very enjoyable to listen to indeed.

stubblesmcgee
June 11th 2014

Wasn't overly impressed at first, but I have to admit it's growing on me. Might have to raise my rating soon.

Shabz
June 11th 2014

Yes it is different to sages, but it is definitely an enjoyable and fun listen. Worth checking out if you have any interest in this band's previous work.

RotheLorde
June 11th 2014

Erdentempel is a decent effort, the song writing is a little too safe, I feel.

June 12th 2014

It's almost instinctual to think this album is worse than it is if you're a large fan of the band's previous work. But once you let Erdentempel's songs sink in, I can't really understand why you wouldn't love this album.

Poet
June 12th 2014

Forgot this album came out. Probably won't ever come close to that initial feeling I had from Sagas (which is clearly shown in my review of it), but that's ok.

howNowBrownSow
June 12th 2014

Can't stop listening to this. Might rival Sagas as their best.