Satariel
White Ink: Chapter One

by Adam Gola USER (38 Reviews)
June 7th, 2014 | 8 replies | 1,043 views

Release Date: 06/06/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Heavy, ominous and catchy, Satariel's opening part of White Ink satisfies all expectations and gives you an apetite for what is to follow.

Satariel's quite a busy bunch of fellows. So much in fact, that they felt forced to split their long-announced LP "White Ink" into three chapters in order to make any release possible. This is their first bit of material since 2007's Chifra, and I have to say I'm very glad they didn't call it quits.

Satariel's unique branch of melodic death metal is very difficult to describe to those accustomed to classic bands of the genre. At any given time, they can be melancholic (but not in the Insomnium sense), foreboding (but not quite in the Dark Tranquillity sense), and even uplifting and relaxing (but definitely not in the Omnium Gatherum sense).. All in all, there has always been this uneasy, strained atmosphere about Satariel music, which can make the listener feel emotional unrest, but at the same make him come back for more. And all that remains simple - it's achieved entirely with melody and atmosphere rather than extreme technicality.

The first third of White Ink showcases some of the strongest material Satariel has written so far, bringing together the riffing and embellishment style known from Hydra and Chifra and the darkness and intensity of Phobos and Deimos. The three songs here are definitely darker and more ominous than on Chifra, also notably making less use of clean vocals. But where the vocals are used, the hooks are infectiously catchy.

"Black Titans" is the heaviest and most aggressive track on the first chapter of White Ink, and probably the best in that style Satariel has written thus far. "Daemons" is a slower number with ominous, borderline black metal atmosphere and a 6/8 chorus that is the catchiest in melodeath I've heard in a long time, without sounding poppy at all, which is commendable to say the least. "Ending Circle" is a slower track that focuses on atmosphere in a typical Satariel fashion - it's not as dark as "Daemons", but rather conveys that indescribable aura of uncertainty and psychological strain that only Satariel can do.

Overall the introductory song trio to White Ink is probably the most consistent yet varied, well-written set of songs by Satariel so far. It's brief enough not to outstay its welcome, but that doesn't really matter, as listening to it 3-4 times through shouldn't be uncommon - it's just that good. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the White Ink trilogy turns out to be as good as this once it's released.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsNexilva Eschatologies
Allegaeon Elements of the InfiniteThe Arcane Order The Machinery of Oblivion
Solution .45 For Aeons PastShade Empire Omega Arcane

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I remember reading a positive review about Phobos and Deimos back in the day.

Some suggestions:

They can at any given time be melancholic - but not in the Insomnium sense. Foreboding, but not quite in the Dark Tranquillity sense. And even uplifting and relaxing, but definitely not in the Omnium Gatherum sense

At any given time, they can be melancholic (but not in the Insomnium sense), foreboding (but not quite in the Dark Tranquillity sense), and even uplifting and relaxing (but not in the Omnium Gatherum sense).

and most aggressive track on the album

... track on the first chapter of White Ink,

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

June 7th 2014

Good suggestions, thanks. I'll make the corrections in a while.

I'm afraid this EP hasn't leaked yet - I've actually bought the mp3s. I'm gonna be a good guy and not upload them to torrents, so someone else will probably have to do that.

Satariel
June 7th 2014

Hey, thanks for the great review! If you want to torrent it, fine. ;) But you can listen to it for
free at https://satariel.bandcamp.com/ and if you want to buy it from there, it's only $2,49.

Metalstyles
June 7th 2014

Sounds interesting, will check.

FrozenVain
June 7th 2014

Good review, dude. Pos'd. I have for a very long time been aware of Satariel but I've never taken the to actually jam them but I will listen to this.

Edit: Ok, done. Daemons was really good.

June 7th 2014

Sure is. Haven't been able to get this mofucka out of my head for a while now.

Metalstyles
June 21st 2014

It's too short to leave a longer lasting impression, but for what it's worth, it's cool stuff. Black Titans is awesome.

June 22nd 2014

Well, it does leave a lasting impression if you listen to it 10 times in a row, it does.

I would also much prefer to get the album in its entirety, but oh well.