Pentakill
Smite and Ignite

good

by my trash taste is stuck in the past USER (28 Reviews)
June 3rd, 2014 | 64 replies

Release Date: 06/03/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Far better than it has any right to be.

The term 'video game music' can easily be ridiculed. Whether it's referring to chiptunes in the background of games, or full-fledged albums centered around a given franchise, there's often little depth, and in most cases, they make for an easy target. In many instances, it's a fair point, as most productions are gimmicky, relying solely on the driving force of the series from which it originates. Enter Pentakill: a virtual band consisting of character from the popular video game League of Legends. They fully embody this gimmicky nature and are fairly generic as far as genuine musicianship goes. In spite of this, there is still a somewhat enjoyable album to be found here.

The album is decently varied, dipping into the general vicinity of power metal as well as progressive metal. While it doesn't truly root itself deeply enough to be definitively labeled as either, it is at least a commendable effort, and helps to give the album some flavor. There are some moments where the album can catch one's attention with a somewhat catchy section that may hook you in momentarily. These moments are fleeting in most cases, however, in tracks such as Deathfire Grasp, it can help the album out greatly in drawing power.

Some familiar sounds can be heard on the album, specifically in the vocalist department. Jorn Lande of Masterplan, and ZP Theart, formerly of DragonForce, can each be heard contributing vocals to two songs each on the album. Therefore, the vocal performance is actually fairly strong, at least if one were to compare it to the actual voice of Karthus, the deathly lich meant to be portrayed as the actual vocalist of the group. The overall session musicians come together in a manner not unexpected, but nevertheless satisfying, and each track is at least interesting enough for a listen or two.

The novelty factor is undeniable. Many of the small things about the album would fall upon deaf ears if shown to those outside of the League of Legends fanbase. For example, all but one track on the album is named in reference to various items which appear in the game, and at some points, such as in the mechanical-sounding The Hex Core, sound effects from the game itself may be heard in the background. It's small bells and whistles like these that will boost the appeal of the album for diehard fans of the game.

It's cheesy. It's lame. It's nowhere near perfect. All of that being said, there is a certain novelty charm to Smite and Ignite, which is definitely not hurt by the fact that it could actually stand its own if compared to a typical power metal album in the saturated market nowadays. It won't be for everyone, and some folks will fervently detest it, but simply checking out a few tracks definitely couldn't hurt.

Recommended Tracks:
Deathfire Grasp
Thornmail

Temple of Blood Prepare for the Judgment of MankindHangar Last Time
Fueled by Fire Spread the FireExcel Split Image
Fallen Angel (SWE) Faith FailsTantara Based on Evil
3.2
good
recommended by reviewer
Masterplan Masterplan

Mister Twister
June 3rd 2014

i did it so you wouldnt have to

It's weird to me that this isn't unbearably awful. I know I'm rusty, and I won't be able to write any
more for over a month due to exams and a huge move, but bleh.

Digging: Panikk - Unbearable Conditions

titanslayer

2043 Comments

Heard one track on yt it honestly wasn't that bad

Sabrutin
June 3rd 2014

Review was nice to read, pos'd.

Still, I don't enjoy this as much as you do. I find this to be half fillers (two instrumentals and an intermission). The only track I kind of enjoyed is the opener (nice to hear Jorn).

This "album" seems just a bad commercial move. They just recorded a few average tracks and added some instrumentals to make it longer. It gives nothing like satisfaction. Also, I find the lyrics from Deathfire Grasp to be way too childish.

I play this type of games myself (not LoL though), but I find this to be appealing only to younger players.

Digging: AC/DC - Rock or Bust

Hyperion1001
June 3rd 2014

This "album" seems just a bad commercial move.

Digging: Bee Mask - When We Were Eating Unripe Pears

demigod!
June 3rd 2014

ugh i haven't listened to this "band" at all yet and im already knee deep in cringe

Digging: Autechre - LP5

Sabrutin
June 3rd 2014

"i dont there are any pretensions that this is anything other than an ad for league of legends"

The important part of the sentence is >bad< commercial move, not the fact that is commercial. Of course it is, I'm not criticizing that.

SnakeDelilah
June 3rd 2014

can someone please tell me why there are two reviewers named Mister Tornado and Mister Twister

Digging: The Antlers - Familiars

June 3rd 2014

I just realized that, lol.

Good review otherwise. Pos'd

Digging: Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron - Abstruse Imbeciles Nailed On Slavery

emester
June 3rd 2014

LoL's fucking terrible imo so its no surprise that this sucks whale dick

Digging: The Black Twilight Circle - Tliltic Tlapoyauak

June 3rd 2014

and here comes the haters

sailSAway

summary says it all

pretty much

TheSupernatural
June 3rd 2014

This really is way better than it should be.

Asmodeuss1990
June 3rd 2014

I'm pretty sure this album isn't supposed to be taken seriously at all. So I won't take it as such and listen to it as silly video game music. Probably is cringeworthy.

TheSupernatural
June 4th 2014

This is as far from cringeworthy as video game music can get. It's legitimate power metal

Koffiiing

Excellent review \m/

TrantaLocked
June 4th 2014

They used a really chunky guitar tone for this album.

FromDaHood

goddammit

trackbytrackreviews

Lightbringer has the goods

Also Ohmwrecker

Digging: frnkiero andthe cellabration - Stomachaches

NonApplicable

2003 Comments

I think the opening statement and comparison was quite a stretch. Never hear anything but praise for video game music.

Digging: Skyharbor - Guiding Lights