Anberlin
Never Take Friendship Personal

by Ian USER (108 Reviews)
April 15th, 2006 | 335 replies | 26,062 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Anberlin is an alternative-rock act that formed in 2002. They released their debut album, �Blueprints for the Black Market�, not too long after having signed to Tooth & Nail Records. The album sold moderately well peaking out at the 60,000 mark. In February of 2005, Anberlin then released their follow-up album, and focus of this review, �Never Take Friendship Personal�. The key feature to the album is Stephen Christian�s lyrics, and vocals. Without either of the two the whole album would be a complete failure. Stephen�s singing is smooth, catchy, and goes perfectly well with the intelligently written lyrics. The guitar parts are simple, but every once in a while an impressive solo pops up. Sadly, the bass parts are inaudible for the most part. However, every once in a while it can actually be heard, but is usually playing something incredibly simple. The drums provide solid beats, and the occasional fill, but nothing more.

The title-track, �Never Take Friendship Personal�, is one of the more emotional songs, and features exciting guitar harmonization for the opening that is attractive. It is also contains some of the more in depth lyrics that I spoke of earlier. �Once a skeptic, now the critic, and you finally think you�ve found a place of your own amongst the cold, and timid souls, where only failure knows your name. Look around for the closest to blame, but look no further than the hands beneath your arms, and now you�re six feet down buried with your passing fame.� In the booklet under the title of the song it says in parenthesis, (You told me to �write a song about it� so here�s your song). This leads me to believe that someone who used to be a friend of Stephen betrayed him somehow, or they meet in a disagreement. This goes to show the passion that Anberlin puts into their writing of music, and lyrics.

Anberlin gets a lot of slack for supposedly being a Christian band despite the band themselves insisting they aren�t. Although it is easy to mistake they are a Christian band when their second single off the album, �Paperthin Hymn�, contains the lyrics, �When life is in discord, �Praise ye the Lord��. In spite of that, �Paperthin Hymn� is a great representation of the rest of the album because it�s catchy, and energetic. �A Day Late� is the first single, but it�s not that great of a listen. While it contains the basic Anberlin sound, it seems somewhat generic, and boring. There is no depth to it, and is rather simple. �Never Take Friendship Personal� wouldn�t be an excellent album even with powerful lyrics, and singing if that was all it had to offer. �(the symphony of) blas� is a slow, and beautiful ballad that is placed in an excellent spot to stave off any feelings of repetitiveness. �the Feel Good Drag� is quite easily the heaviest song, and even feature a slow, yet breathtaking guitar solo. Stephen�s yelling packs so much power it makes this song the one to remember for all of the record. The final song isn�t necessarily different than most of �Never Take Friendship Personal�, but the fact that �dance, dance Christa Paffgen� is over seven-minutes long is something worth mentioning when almost every other song is only three-minutes long.

�Never Take Friendship Personal� is an exhilarating ride. Most songs tend to sound the same, but there are plenty of others that branch out, and make themselves be heard, as well as remembered. Stephen�s singing never falters, and while he is very catchy, he manages to not sound nasal. True, the music is simple, but the structure that some songs are written in is impressive enough. This is an excellent alternative-rock album.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Wolves & Machines AilmentsKrizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'
Green Baron (4)
Over and over, these thoughts run through my head....

SarahDean (4)
Anberlin's slightly more aggressive, energetic and well written follow-up to their debut release 'Bl...

good review kripes
i downloaded paper thin hymn, and never take friendship personal, and like them
i think ill buy the album

Full Collapse299
April 15th 2006

I only gave this one listen so far. It's good. I love "A Day Late", it's so catchy, and I always want to get up and start dancing. I know a lil wierd. The one line "but thoughts they change and times they rearrange i don't know who you are anymore/loves come and go and this i know i'm not who you recall anymore" pretty easy to relate to especially for a 16 yr old, i recently been cleaning out my ipod with stuff i havent listend to in forever, but this is going to stayThis Message Edited On 04.15.06

Iluvatar
April 15th 2006

I really dislike Anberlin, but a good review nonetheless.

Evening Syndrome
April 15th 2006

agreed, i find it really hard to get into these guys but the review is solid.

The Jungler
April 15th 2006

The songs I heard off this were pretty good.... Nice review.

pattern_recognition
April 15th 2006

I want to dislike them for their overt christianity, but it's hard when they write songs this catchy...good stuff.
Good review, too.

The Jungler

^^
Yeah, same here.

Society Sellout
April 15th 2006

The guitar parts are simple, but every once in a while an impressive solo
simple.

While the guitarist has some very weak moments and falls back on generic riffs in a
chorus here and there I think he deserves a little more credit. For example, the intro
riff on The Feel Good Drag is golden and he proves his worth in a few solos and in
some of the mellower parts he shows he knows how to use his insturment well.

I agree the bass is mostly inaudible but if you listen to it with some good
headphones and pick out the bass lines you can tell that he isn't your average pop-
punk bassist. He follows the guitarist when its required but often times his lines
move the song along and are not quite as simple as you would think.
Anyways I thought this album was pretty bland when I first bought it but it grew on
me each time I listened and I quite enjoy it now.This Message Edited On 04.15.06

Storm In A Teacup
April 15th 2006

Society Sellout, I think I did give the guitarist enough credit, and as for the bass. I'm aware of that, but when the bass is actually easy to hear, what is heard is simple.

ToWhatEnd
April 15th 2006

Another good review. I like the album although I find it a little difficult to listen through the whole thing in one listen. Solid effort by the band and you nailed the description of the vocal delivery and style. This Message Edited On 04.15.06

The Spy Hunter
June 16th 2006

Good album.

Storm In A Teacup
June 26th 2006

This...is an eargasm. "Never Take Friendship Personal" is one of the greatest songs ever.

ToWhatEnd
August 4th 2006

Hey go add a release date for this. I listened to this album today, woop.

ninjuice
September 29th 2006

Great lyrics, singing, guitars, pretty much great everything. Not sure about getting Blueprints for the Black Market though

Digging: Robin Skouteris - The King of ArtPOP

September 29th 2006

Anberlin are horrible.

^^
of course

in fact, you dont even need to back that statement up with any actual information

Why should I have to?

September 30th 2006

because its very unprofessional (and stupid) to just say something negative about a band and not give ANY reasons why

September 30th 2006

And yet it's okay to say you like a band and not "back up your opinion"?

basically yes

because every positive point was made in the review

but no one knows why you dont like them