The Academy Is...
From The Carpet

by Pyramidman USER (2 Reviews)
April 15th, 2006 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

The ironic thing about The Academy Is.. is that they almost never existed. Lead singer William Beckett and Lead guitarist Mike Carden grew up as rivals. But one day both of their bands broke up, and they got together and realized how much they had in common, and The Academy IsÖ (well, technically they were just The Academy, they changed their name later) was born. After being signed to Fueled By Ramen (the same label that gave you Fall Out Boy) they created the masterpiece of an album Almost Here. This is an acoustic EP featuring three songs from Almost Here, two new songs, and one cover, and is only available via download from i-tunes.

The first track Pour Yourself A Drink is a basement demo, and you can tell from the start. The mixing and sound in general isnít very good, but if youíre willing to tolerate it then youíre in for a treat. With trademark TAI lyrics (meaning theyíre kind of dark and sometimes make you think) ďthe only thing worse for you than you is me". Itís pretty good, but the next track The Fever blows it away. The guitar mixes with the vox perfectly, talking about someone who lieís a lot, and how the singer is done with it. The breakdown near the end showcases Willís vocal ability, where he sings some high notes that sound perfect and donít sound out of place at all.

The next two songs, Phrase That Pays and Working Class Hero are the weakest set of songs on the album. I can respect the guys trying to do something different with Phrase That Pays, but giving it a country tone wasnít the way to go. Working Class Hero is a John Lennon cover, and while it wasnít my favorite, Iím sure I would have enjoyed it much more if I were a huge John Lennon fan.

The last two songs on the album rectify its flaws with the two best songs on the EP. Down And Out was my favorite song off Almost Here, and I got excited when I heard they were going to do a piano rendition with the pianist from ThisIsMeSmiling (great band btw) The beginning is just the piano player messing around with the song, and giving it an almost carnival-esque feel (listen to the song to know what I mean) but then the song begins, and Willís voice is almost enchanting, with some sort of echo effect on it. The only problem I have with the song is that during the breakdown, they changed up the piano part to make it stand out, but it loses all the momentum. The final song Black Mamba is the best song on the album, ironic, because I found it the weakest song on Almost Here. The best part is the end, with the clapping along and the cheers in the background. It makes you smile and will have you singing along almost instantly.

This is overall a very good effort from The Academy IsÖ . If you have never heard of these guys then I strongly recommend you go and buy Almost Here, and if you like that, then you will love this as well

Final Score 3.5

-Same old Academy Is.. goodness
-New songs are great

-Sometimes try too hard to change songs

This is my first review, EVER, so be nice

(p.s. thansk alot to kripes/beyontheblueprint fr helping me not look like a foo)

April 15th 2006

This could have been a really good EP, but I think it lacked in quality. Will was originally in an acoustic band, so it's no surprise that his vocals sound just as good here as they do in any of TAI's previous material. But the quality of the songs are never consistant, and I think that takes away from how good the EP is.

3/5 from me.

April 15th 2006

Great first review, this seems like another crappy pop-punk though.

Dimes Make Dollars
April 15th 2006

First review is alright, but oh man do I despise this band. Bores the shit out of me.

Nice review Thursdayrage. Keep up the good work :thumb:

The Jungler
April 15th 2006

Good job on the first review, I don't mind some of TAI's songs.

Storm In A Teacup

Nice work on your first effort, Thursdayrage450! :chug:

April 15th 2006

thanks for all the feedback guys

Society Sellout
April 15th 2006

Only heard The fever and Black Mamba from this album. They were alright. His voice sounds very good in The Fever.

April 16th 2006

Man, The Academy Is... are awesome. Funny though, I found Black Mamba the best song on the album.

Great review though dude, well done.

April 16th 2006

yeah, it was by no means a bad song, i just loved it the least

May 25th 2006

Pour yourself a drink has something lacking
good tracks: black mamba ,the fever and working class hero

June 18th 2006