Brave Bird
T-Minus Grand Gesture

good

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (89 Reviews)
May 27th, 2014 | 43 replies | 4,317 views

Release Date: 05/20/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brave Bird do what they do just to make you feel good, but does that mean they should?

I feel like it's becoming a cliche to write about an emo band losing their charm when they go for a more "mature" sound on their second or third release. Scratch that, it's already a firmly established cliche, and Brave Bird continue the trend with their new EP T-Minus Grand Gesture.

I feel a bit odd proclaiming this release mature considering half the songs float around the two minute mark and feel like underdeveloped ideas rather than fully fleshed out songs. I guess going from a fun, upbeat and messy sound to a mellower, more indie rock sensibility doesn't necessarily constitute as maturation. Brave Bird showcase their new grown up sound on the tracks "I Don't Wanna Know," "Rekindle," and "Hard Enough," which are good songs, but Brand New did it exponentially better eleven years ago. The only real stand out is the title track, whose catchy, mathy, and twinkly riffs coupled with simple yet poignant lyrics and rough vocals showcases the band's wasted potential. Unfortunately Brave Bird seems more interested in writing Brand New worship than top shelf emo tracks, and T-Minus Grand Gesture suffers for it.

I feel like I've written this review several times, and it's because I have. Almost every emo revival band that doesn't break up goes for a more indie and/or pop-punk sound as if they're trying to go commercial, or are simply afraid to be emo. Brave Bird certainly fall under this assessment, and it's a shame because the band has it in them to write killer songs like the title track. One stellar cut, three good ones, and four middle of the road tracks certainly makes for an above average release, but the potential Brave Bird have instilled in them makes T-Minus Grand Gesture a disappointing release.

Prawn KingfisherEmpire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be Forgotten
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika FantajinOld Gray/Tiny Moving Parts Split
Banner Pilot SouvenirCarissa's Wierd Songs About Leaving
William Lim (4)
“Open up your mouth / it’s the words you never thought would come out”...

Stand out track:

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

ExplosiveOranges
May 27th 2014

Short, but to the point. Good review.

Digging: A Slow Descent - Secrets of a Melting Moon

andrianoc
May 27th 2014

First three songs and open your mouth are quality..the rest are meh. I still see a ton of potential in this band.

minty901

1978 Comments

since discovering how much of an immature prick the lead singer is, i haven't had much interest in listening to this band. i used to love them but now i kind of loathe them. its a shame that something as unrelated to the music as a guy's personality can ruin the music experience for me. maybe ill check this out but i aint gonna pay for it.

May 27th 2014

Nice review. Imaginary pos.

Digging: Dinosaur Jr. - Bug

Damn I liked it

Digging: Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy

May 27th 2014

since discovering how much of an immature prick the lead singer is

That status is going to haunt them forever.

Highly disagree.

Digging: Microwave - Stovall

May 27th 2014

you commented i was think so much that you would eventually right ow

May 27th 2014

Of course I would, man. I love this band.

I also disagree that much of this sounds like Brand New except for Chris' vocals.

I'd consider 5'ing this for the album cover alone

Ahhh, feature. Nice.

aircycle
May 28th 2014

"you commented i was think so much that you would eventually right ow"

is this english

2044 Comments

is treborish. it's better than english.

May 28th 2014

He used all of his English writing this review.

Judio!

you commented i was think so much that you would eventually right ow [2]

Digging: Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

minty901

1978 Comments

track 2 could easily be brand new.

May 28th 2014

I think the traits that Brand New relied on around the Deja Entendu-era are significantly different to what Brave Bird have here, namely the alternative rock-ish overdriven chords on Deja. This EP is also way more eclectic while most Brand New records follow a reasonably specific overall sound.

andrianoc
May 28th 2014

Treb really likes this EP. He just sacrificed a good rating for it in order to make that super creative summary.

2044 Comments

I'm getting a shoegaze feel from this that I doubt anybody else is.

FourthReich