Mongol Horde
Mongol Horde

by Caleb C. USER (26 Reviews)
May 25th, 2014 | 109 replies

Release Date: 05/26/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Punk for those tired of being so damn serious all the time and just want something to yell about for a while

I might’ve made a mistake when I called Frank Turner’s latest solo outing boring. Not that I’m retracting that sentiment, but I didn’t mean to upset him this much. Just when I thought the punk side of Turner had officially checked out and went west, he decides to re-equip the long dormant middle finger and put it out for everyone to see. So we got Mongol Horde. Composed of a combination of both old and new Turner band members, Mongol Horde sees Turner threatening our lives before letting us know, rather poignantly, that we have a weak handshake. They’ve delivered hardcore punk straight of Refused’s playbook, spoken word and guttural pleas alike, clashing and splattering all over the walls in schizophrenic bliss. And unbelievably the music’s still extremely accessible (as much as stories about Natalie Portman’s reform inducing tapeworms can be, anyway) with its riff-lines clean and its shouts quite scream-a-long-able.

Hardcore contemporaries should take note to how well Mongol Horde manages to avoid taking themselves too seriously. The whole album functions in this tongue-in-cheek realm of punk that we haven’t seen in years (eat your heart out, Touche Amore, the world isn’t ending yet) and it thrives in randomness of metaphor. Turner’s “stories” prove to maintain the standard punk anti-establishment chorus chants, but closer inspection reveal a much shallower, humorous slant (there’s an entire song about the stillborn product of a rhino and pony reproducing, guys) of a band just having a whole lot of fun. It’s punk for those tired of being so damn serious all the time and just want something to yell about for a while. Most of all, it’s gloriously engaging, proving that while the mainstream rock Frank Turner may have gone the way of least resistance, the one that thrives in that resistance is still very much alive and kicking… all of us in the face. I’m sorry I doubted you.

Linkin Park The Hunting PartyAtmosphere Southsiders
The Menzingers Rented WorldManchester Orchestra Cope
Linkin Park Hybrid TheoryWoodsman Woodsman

May 24th 2014

i did the short thing again because it's hardcore and that's how the kids like it.

streaming on spotify. 'make way' is here:

Digging: Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE

scottpilgrim10
May 24th 2014

Nice short review, pos'd.

I've been listening to this non stop for the past few days. The soft to loud dynamics are great.

This live performance of Mongol Horde is really sweet so in case you haven't seen it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNmVHSbyL8

Digging: Wilco - Summerteeth

Green Baron

20000 Comments

sounds cool from what i've heard

thanks!

scottpilgrim10
May 25th 2014

I hope this gains more traction on Sputnik.

DatsNotDaMetulz
May 25th 2014

Gotta wait for this to get online.

mxbrady
May 25th 2014

crazy psyched to hear this album

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Calc
May 25th 2014

"I might’ve made a mistake when I called Frank Turner’s latest solo outing boring. Not that I’m retracting that sentiment, but I didn’t mean to upset him this much."

omfg...

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

Grizzlypyro
May 25th 2014

May have to check this after I get back from work.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

eddie95
May 25th 2014

I'll check this as soon as it's uploaded on spotify... Great review but I think that Turner's solo career is going in a pretty good way. Last effort was musically speaking worse than his previous albums, but not less intense. He's a great songwriter and acoustic guitarist anyway. He deserves his ratings. I'm very interested in this project and 'Make Way' was really good. Can't wait to hear the rest. Pos'd

Digging: Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances

May 25th 2014

i think i upset calc and i'm not sure why.

and i'm certainly not saying his solo stuff is bad, just that Tape Deck Heart felt significantly safer than previous stuff and it suffered as a result.

thanks for the feature, guys, cheers.

JS19

Can't find this on Spotify : (

Digging: This Will Destroy You - Another Language

May 25th 2014

it would seem they took it down for some reason? it's physical release is tomorrow so I'm not sure why that would be.

Cygnatti
May 25th 2014

what does that even mean?

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

May 25th 2014

it's me attempting to comedically overplay my own self importance by stating it's my fault that he created an "angry" hardcore record.

whether you find it funny is one thing, but the intent feels pretty obvious.

RVAHC13

This is gooood stuff

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

Calc
May 25th 2014

I don't get upset foo that's my computer way of rolling my eyes.

May 25th 2014

oh ok good that's what i was going for

Scoot

ugh i need this

TheSpirit
May 25th 2014

I probably won't check this out, but this is short review done right :thumb:

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig