Coldplay
Ghost Stories

good

by Liza Lowe USER (9 Reviews)
May 20th, 2014 | 8 replies

Release Date: 05/19/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Coldplay strips things back

Coldplay are a bit like marmite, you either love them or hate them. Love or hate them, there is no denying over the years they have produced some great tracks which have made many an arena and festival crowd sing along with Martin's every word at the top of their lungs. But as much as sing alongs can be fun, Coldplay have been accused for the last few years of tailoring their music for such. On Ghost Stories this may have changed.

With the recent uncoupling (most annoying phrase of 2014) of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow, it is almost the perfect time to release a record based around their relationship. The evidence of hurt is clearly heard from the start on "Always On My Mind" which Martin lament's "I think of you, I haven't slept". It is a nice start with choir like samples and glitchy beats.
Lyrically Martin has for the most part used universal themes on Coldplay albums but Ghost Stories concentrates on only one them universal themes, and it doesn't take a genius to guess which one it is. This is main downfall of the record. Like many people, I like a love song as much as the next person but when it's sixth grade type lyrics, there is a certain feeling of Martin not trying that hard. Lines such as "All I know, is that I love you so" don't use that much imagination in describing his current state.

The album as a whole isn't necessary a bad record, there are some lovely moments, one being "Midnight". It would not be out of place on an Imogen Heap record building with lovely electronics and vocoder vocals. It is the most atmospheric track on the album and has a beautiful tone that shows Coldplay working outside their comfort zone to admiral results. This atmospheric tone extends to "Oceans", a track that harks back to their debut with the extra electronic touches.

As the album starts to reach its end, we meet the weakest point on the album with "A Sky Full Of Stars" . The song gives the impression of " we need a single ". To be harsh about the track I would go as far to say it is a bit embarrassing. Lyrically and musically it's painfully childish and uninspired, using the same tired EDM sounds heard on countless records. It's a shame the track made it on to the record as it just seems out of place with the somber more atmospheric songs.

The final track "O" is a beautiful dreamy song with piano that seems to just float. At times on the album Martin sounds lost and maybe he could be given his recent break-up. Ghost Stories isn't going to re-invent the wheel and nor does it try.

The Vines Wicked NaturePaul Melia Hold Onto The Colours
Brian Eno Ambient 1: Music For AirportsNina Nesbitt Peroxide
Stina Nordenstam And She Closed Her EyesPixies EP2
3.1
good

tommygun
May 20th 2014

ok review but your punctuation is shite

do some research on how to properly use apostrophes, parentheses, quotation marks etc

May 20th 2014

Thank you for the advice.

TWIGtheWONDERKID
May 20th 2014

I agree with your rating. I think the album is good, but I don't think it is great . . . By the way, Tommy is right about the punctuation. It makes your good review look bad.

Digging: Johnny Marr - Playland

May 20th 2014

Yeah good is the word. It is not an album I would keep going back to.Is there any examples where I should change the punctuation? Any advice helps. Thank you.

tommygun

1. don't put spaces between parentheses and the words they contain
example:
( most annoying phrase of 2014 ) should be (most annoying phrase of 2014)

(this same rule applies to quotation marks)

2. don't use apostrophes for plurals
example:
sing along's should be sing alongs

3. only use an apostrophe in its when used as a contraction of it is
example:
As the album starts to reach it's end should be As the album starts to reach its end

not a bad review though, you make some good points... fixing the punctuation and grammar will make
things much easier for the reader

May 20th 2014

Cool, I fixed them. Oddly the spaces appeared between the quotation marks when I copied and pasted it from my notepad. Thanks for the help.

YourDarkAffected
May 20th 2014

Yeah, it's not a bad review. Just clean up the punctuation and it will look much better. Don't forget commas and periods go inside quotations too. Ex. "Midnight."

May 21st 2014

Ok cool thank you for advice.