Theatre Of Tragedy
Theatre of Tragedy

by manosg USER (28 Reviews)
May 19th, 2014 | 17 replies | 551 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Doomy guitars with ethereal female vocals, death growls and piano combined seamlessly on a highly atmospheric debut.

In 1995 when people heard of a new band hailing from Norway, they expected blast beats, corpse paint, shrieked vocals and lo-fi production. Without a doubt, Theatre of Tragedy was an unconventional party from day one but not only because they distanced themselves from their Norwegian counterparts. Consisting of seven members and using instruments such as cello and piano along with heavy doomy guitars was a strong antithesis. However, even more peculiar for the time was the use of deep male growls along with female operatic vocals, a technique that became later popular by the term “Beauty and the Beast” vocal style. Moreover, Theatre of Tragedy’s debut features unconventional lyrics sung in Victorian English which also adds to the end result’s charm. All the above, resulted in a highly interesting hybrid that evoked feelings of melancholy and romanticism with a death metal twist.

Musically, Theatre of Tragedy can be categorized as a mix of doom and gothic metal similar to early Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost or The Gathering’s debut. One moment the band uses harsh guitars and the next the listener enjoys an ominous, minimalistic piano melody that serves as introduction to the male or female vocals. Granted, when people hear of Theatre of Tragedy the “Beauty and the Beast” vocal style comes to their mind. Liv Kristine is very gifted at creating haunting and ethereal vocal melodies whereas the male singer Raymond Rohonyi plays the role of evil in a very convincing way with his death grunts. Nevertheless, the band’s debut features some very catchy melodies in tracks such as "A Hamlet for a Slothful Vassal" or "Dying - I Only Feel Apathy". Going back to the minimalistic statement mentioned above, the album’s standout track is probably "...A Distance There Is...". One of the most characteristic tracks in the band’s discography and a perfect winter theme, it is centered around Liv Kristine accompanied by piano, cello and the sound of falling rain.

Overall, Theatre of Tragedy is probably not the best or the most refined album in Theatre of Tragedy’s discography but it is a highly interesting work that influenced a number of bands that came after the Norwegians. The quality of music along with Dan Swano’s cold and dry yet fitting production, will probably be enjoyed not only by fans of gothic metal and The Peaceville Three but by those who seek highly atmospheric music for cold winter days or nights.

Villagers of Ioannina City RizaDio This Is Your Life
Canned Heat Boogie With Canned Heat1000MODS Vultures
Loreena McKennitt The Book of SecretsThe Sisters of Mercy Floodland

May 19th 2014

Great album for those of you who are into atmospheric metal of the ‘90s.

Full album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfTCJhGPqeQ

Your comments are much appreciated.

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

Voivod

Good review, pos.

First three Theatre of Tragedy albums were reissued recently, so that's saying something about the merit of this album.

Digging: Electric Citizen - Sateen

Thanks man.

That's good news. The production was really good on those albums so I guess they must have some additional tracks and stuff.

May 19th 2014

Solid review, and quite informational I might add. I haven't listened to their debut yet, however I will do so soon since I enjoy listening to this band.

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

May 19th 2014

Cheers! Seeing as you like Velvet Darkness so much, you'll enjoy this one too. However, this is a bit more harsh and may need a few more listens so give it some time ;)

EvoHavok
May 19th 2014

Pos! Velvet Darkness They Fear is incredible.

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

May 19th 2014

Thanks man. Yeah, Velvet Darkness is awesome, one of my favorite albums ever.

May 19th 2014

Pos'd. I need to hear this again.

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

May 20th 2014

Thanks dude. Knowing your taste a bit, I think you'll find it enjoyable.

May 20th 2014

19375 Comments

sweet review bro, gonna have to check this band out

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

May 21st 2014

Much appreciated man! Whenever you're in a gloomy and atmospheric mood, give it a try.

June 30th 2014

I just listened to this and despite the fact that I didn't like it quite as much as their second album, this is still great.

July 3rd 2014

Agreed. Velvet Darkness is more theatrical than this one and it was also the album that got me into the band. Overall, it's a greater experience for me too.

bahlof
July 9th 2014

Oh man I was not expecting this to be this good. I think I actually like it better than VDTF so far.

Digging: Empyrium - The Turn of the Tides

VermTheNedSlayer
July 9th 2014

Band needs more love here

Definitely.

July 10th 2014

Agreed; such a great band.