Killer Be Killed
Killer Be Killed

by David Driver USER (80 Reviews)
May 18th, 2014 | 127 replies

Release Date: 05/09/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What was wrong with “Flying Mastodons Escape From Mars”?

For any fan of metal, the announced line-up of Killer Be Killed certainly piqued more than a few interests. Featuring Greg Puciato from Dillinger Escape Plan, Troy Sanders from Mastodon, Max Cavalera from Soulfly/Sepultura and session musician Dave Elitch of The Mars Volta fame, the influence and longevity of these men and their bands lead to an instant excitement for what these minds could create as a whole. Featuring a tri-vocal attack and a blend of their band’s genres, Killer Be Killed’s self-titled debut is certainly is a unique and pleasant surprise.

What listeners will notice right away is not only the blend of metal genres, but also the blend of vocal styles. With Sanders handling the guff, lower-register melodies, Cavalera handling the growls and Puciato handling both a bit of screaming and higher-register melodies, the variety is most certainly the album’s strong point. “Wings of Feather and Wax” starts off the fury, and right away the tri-vocal attack shows off its potency: after a heavy first verse riff sung by Sanders, the song erupts into the album's most infectious chorus melody sung by Puciato, which could easily rival any catchy chorus found on any Top 40 pop song. Keeping the vocal styles as varied as the musical styles makes Killer Be Killed interesting without sounding too muddled.

In terms of musical styles, any fan of these individual bands might not be able to fully sink their teeth into the sound, but Killer Be Killed is almost a perfect blend of thrash, math and sludge to create a sound that is just plain heavy. Not to deal in absolutes, but if you’re not nodding your head to the beginning of “Snakes of Jehova” or the last third of “Curb Crusher”, then I don’t know how you could be a fan of metal as a whole. These songs, along with standouts “Face Down” and “I.E.D.”, create an intoxicating mix of sludgy grooves, speedy thrash riffs and just a dose of unexpected breakdowns. “Fire To Your Flag”, the album’s shortest and fastest number, even flirts with a punk/hardcore vibe. The final product might not be what most were expecting, but the results in parts of the album are certainly very satisfying.

But while variety is the album’s strongest asset, even Killer Be Killed cannot escape the fatal flaw that most supergroups usually fall into: underdeveloped ideas. While most songs on here have terrific backbones, some suffer from lacking a strong, coherent idea. Songs like “Save The Robots”, “Twelve Labors” and “Forbidden Fire” try to go for a slower, plodding attack, and while there are some riffs that keep it from being a total loss, the songs never really seem to get off the ground. And songs like “Melting Of My Marrow” and “Dust Into Darkness”, while good overall songs, central around chorus hooks that are not as infectious as the album’s opener.

With supergroups, there’s always an excitement behind what could be, but rarely do bands live up to the hype and excitement. While Killer Be Killed hasn’t produced anything mind-blowing, it certainly is one of the better metal releases of year, and just plain fun and exciting to listen to at times. Creating a mesh of genres that all fans of metal can appreciate and enjoy, Killer Be Killed has enough variety, fun and enthusiasm to warrant a passing grade, and is certainly worthy of the these men’s great reputations.

Knife City Precious JewelRx Bandits Gemini, Her Majesty
...Of Sinking Ships The Amaranthine SeaBADBADNOTGOOD III
Johnny Foreigner You Can Do BetterRussian Circles Memorial
Rastapunk (4)
Cavalera and co on a great mix of Soulingeroltastodon!...

dismember55 (4)
A strong debut that channels an influence from each member of the band....

AaronBatt (3.5)
A catchy as fuck album that doesn't take itself too seriously and sounds like the product of an extr...

DatsNotDaMetulz
May 18th 2014

FINALLY a review of this. Pretty well written, have a pos.

blueriver
May 18th 2014

Might wanna fix the release date. Also, in the third paragraph, it should be "most were expecting" not was. And yes, finally a review! Great work.

PostMesmeric
May 18th 2014

I was waiting for someone on Sputnik to review this. I definitely agree with many of the points here; this is a heavy record, but some of the songs feel unfocused. Still, "Curb Crusher" is a monster track.

Pos. Awesome work.

ILJ
May 18th 2014

Some of the tracks on here are just plain not very good. Some stellar moments on here though, so great overall. Good review.

DrGonzo1937
May 19th 2014

Great review. Some of the songs on here have some odd moments, but as a whole I really enjoyed this.

Troy and Greg's voice kicked ass.

Digging: Ilenkus - The Crossing

chug73
May 19th 2014

The album is good but if it wasn't a supergroup people wouldn't look twice at it.
There is huge potential here but like the review said, the ideas don't feel particularly developed.

Rastapunk
May 19th 2014

Haha you beat me to this :D

I'll post my review later on this week. Love that album and great review!

manosg
May 19th 2014

I expected this one to be reviewed earlier tbh, great album.

Very good write up too, pos.

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

tempest--

gota cheque

dante1991
May 19th 2014

Really enjoying this album, especially the vocal variety. I think I actually prefer to Mastodon's Hunter album actually and it's definitely the best thing Cavalera has done in years!

Digging: Haken - Restoration

osmark86
May 19th 2014

I will check this out simply out of curiosity but I'm not expecting to be blown away by it.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - Believe in No Coming Shore

thumbcrusher

really enjoyable album

definitely the best thing Cavalera has done in years[2]

Wizard

19513 Comments

This was absolute garbage.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

Relinquished
May 19th 2014

reviewer has good taste but my gut trusts wiz on this

osmark86
May 19th 2014

so do I, I still want to give it a go if only so I can legitimately dismiss it (or be bedazzled). got low expectations after that one single though.

BigPleb
May 19th 2014

First song sucks, its the radio single! Rest it swee.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

DatsNotDaMetulz
May 19th 2014

I'm a massive Cavalera fanboy and even I agree this is probably the best thing he's done since at least Inflikted. Maybe Dark Ages.

Emyay
May 19th 2014

still haven't heard this in full but this has some awesome riffs

TheMoreira
May 19th 2014

Finally a review for this! Well done too, pos'd hard. Album is still growing on me from time to time,
really fun album. Still got some mixed feelings about Sander's vocals in this though.

EDIT: Also, that comment on how some of the jams in this seem to never actually develop is spot on in
the way i took it. Well done Mr.Reviewer.

DrGonzo1937
May 19th 2014

First song sucks, its the radio single!

Jesus, Bigleb, that chorus is damn fine.