Gordon Lightfoot
Summertime Dream

by dh198 USER (6 Reviews)
May 15th, 2014 | 5 replies | 588 views

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An excellent release from an unfortunately overlooked singer-songwriter

Gordon Lightfoot is a Canadian folk singer who gained prominence in the Seventies through numerous hits, such as “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” and “If You Could Read My Mind.” While relatively little-known today, he released a series of acclaimed albums over a decade-long period beginning in the mid-1960s. Summertime Dream, released in 1976, is often considered the last of his truly great works, before his future material declined to some degree. However, Summertime Dream itself stands the test of time, being representative of the great aspects of Lightfoot’s music.

Comprised of ten songs adding up to less than 38 minutes, the album is far from an intimidating listen. The songs themselves are predominantly folk-based, with some rock, country, and pop influences, as frequently appeared throughout Lightfoot’s musical career. While the album is generally cohesive, there is enough variety between tracks, from slow-paced ballads to more cheerful rock-oriented songs, to keep the album from becoming bland.

The most well-known song on Summertime Dream is undoubtedly “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” Indeed, many music listeners may only be familiar with Gordon Lightfoot through that classic song. While “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” is truly a haunting and powerful piece of music, it is far from clearly the best song on this album.

Many of Summertime Dream’s other songs focus on themes of love and heartbreak. While such topics have been widely explored in music, and have often become boring and cliche, that is not the case here. Lightfoot’s lyrics are generally excellent and when delivered in his recognizable baritone voice provide these ballads with substantial emotional power. Particularly successful in this respect is “I’m Not Supposed to Care”, which is excellent in expressing a feeling of sadness and resignation.

There are also more upbeat tracks, with catchy melodies and somewhat more optimistic lyrics. “Race Among The Ruins” and the title track are good examples of these songs. The former is one of the album’s standouts, while “Summertime Dream” showcases an immensely appealing melody, even if it is less profound lyrically.

Overall, Summertime Dream is an exceptional album, particularly for listening to while in a relaxed or contemplative mood. Many of the songs are among Lightfoot’s greatest, and are arguably all-time musical classics as well. While several tracks, such as “I’d Do It Again” and “Too Many Clues In This Room” are slightly weaker and prevent the album from achieving perfection, all music fans could potentially enjoy Summertime Dream. Fans of folk and older music should definitely consider looking into this album, if they have not done so already.

Renaissance PrologueTom Petty and the Heartbreakers Hypnotic Eye
Renaissance A Song for All SeasonsEarthrise Eras Lost
The State Lottery Cities We're Not From
4.4

Hep Kat
May 15th 2014

cool, a Gordon Lightfoot review. Dude is great guitarist, one of my favorites.

Just a few pointers: this review isn't poorly written per se, but it's severely lacking in description. You often mention lyrics and
themes of the album without giving examples. This review would be much better with just a little more detail. I'm hardly the
best writer on this site, but I think you might benefit from listening to me. Reading reviews by jom, iluvatar, klap, rapsutin, and
combustion07 should give you a well-rounded idea of how to write for most genres.

Good luck and welcome to the world of sputnik reviewing!

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

dh198
May 15th 2014

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

ExcentrifugalForz
May 15th 2014

Every time i cross the border for a visit I always blast Gordie for the mounties to hear.

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento

MO
May 16th 2014

the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald is such a fucking classic song. great, great album

deathschool