Black Tongue
Born Hanged

1.0
awful

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (66 Reviews)
May 12th, 2014 | 597 replies | 17,246 views

Release Date: 05/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A 25-minute exercise in aural excrement

Over the years I’ve come to discover something I refer to as “the deathcore effect.” Any time a new deathcore album shows any signs of musical progression, innovation, or at the very least, functioning brain activity within the band, another deathcore release comes and shatters all hope of growth within the genre. For example, this year Carnifex released Die Without Hope: the best sounding album of their career and a step in the right direction for the band, polishing their hardcore-tinged take on technical death/black metal. It wasn’t a great album by any means but it showed the maturation of a previously terrible band, and that’s always a good thing. Then a month later, Emmure’s Eternal Enemies came out and made “eternal enemies” of anyone expecting to hear good music. Later the same month, Whitechapel demonstrated some of the tightest songwriting the subgenre has to offer on Our Endless War – again, nothing spectacular; just a refreshing, heavy as hell album you could bang your head to for about an hour. But lo and behold, the cycle continues as Black Tongue has released what can only be described as a 25-minute exercise in aural excrement – a genre-defining album in the worst sense of the phrase. It’s a culmination of everything wrong with the subgenre, and everything wrong with metal in general, jam-packed into a loathsome half-hour; a reminder to everyone why deathcore is almost universally agreed upon as a pimple in the asshole that is the modern music industry.

Musically, not much has changed since the band’s harrowing debut EP Falsifier. It’s more of the same – more breakdowns, more pig squeals, more distortion, and more heaviness all around. Black Tongue make the most out of Born Hanged’s brief runtime by dragging out every breakdown to a snail’s pace, composing songs out of less than a handful of riffs that seem never-ending. Intro “Foreshadow” is truly a foreshadowing of the grave things to come. The vocalist shouts some incomprehensible nonsense before leading into the album’s first real song, aptly described by its title: “Waste.” The band executes a passable coherent thought on “Blight,” when the guitarists temporarily wake up from their autopilot droning of 3-note chugs and manage to play a riff that moves faster than a handicapped tortoise. This allows the drummer to lay down some double bass for a few moments before falling back into the brodown-riddled nonsense that comprises the rest of the EP. “Coma” (this band really knows how to name their songs!) has a pleasantly dense atmosphere halfway through the track that goes hand-in-hand with the plodding breakdown tempo, but it certainly isn’t worth enduring the monotonous trance you’re put into by the rest of the song.

Black Tongue is somewhat of a deathcore anomaly in that they’re so wrapped up in the hardcore “fuck this shit” attitude of the scene that they come across as a complete parody of it. The sad part of it is, it’s not funny. Listening to Born Hanged isn’t so much of a listening experience as it is a test of patience: how long can you handle the most balls-heavy drops the genre has to offer? In that sense, Born Hanged truly is a genre-defining album, proving Black Tongue may not only be the worst band in existence, but also a tangible step-by-step teaching tutorial on how precisely not to make music. And for that, Black Tongue, we thank you.

Within the Ruins PhenomenaSonic Syndicate Sonic Syndicate
Origin OmnipresentMuse Dead Star/In Your World
Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2Whitechapel Our Endless War
poor

/end rant

thanks jom for helping polish the edges

full stream if anyones interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p46LPqArnXo

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Judio!
May 11th 2014

Great review, Ins. I had a feeling this would suck but "the worst band in existence" is quite a statement. Will have to check this to confirm, plus my objectivity score could always use a boost.

Digging: Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestite

Futures
May 11th 2014

damn you actually listened to this?

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

20580 Comments

@judio! i always try to find the positives in any music no matter how shitty, but i had a hell of a hard time coming up with anything positive for this. so yeah, if not the worst then pretty damn close to it!

@futures yea i had to pause it a few times to hold in the vomit but somehow i made it to the end

Futures
May 11th 2014

yeah i heard one song and it was seriously all chugs. so yeah i believe it

spookynewghostfriend
May 11th 2014

Bit of an unbelievable hyperbole tbh. The entire genre is marked on an album by album basis what.

spookynewghostfriend
May 11th 2014

its like saying pure heroine gave hope to pop but then bangerz came along and destroyed all hope for the genre. Doesnt make sense to me. Lorde is alright, bangerz is probably not the greatest. These albums dont say anything about the genre as a whole however.

20580 Comments

its more of a coincidence than anything, obviously its not meant to be taken at face value

FearThyEvil
May 11th 2014

This band is one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

witchxrapist
May 11th 2014

It's like you blatantly missed the point of this EP when you wrote the review.

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

2019 Comments

These guys turned deathcore? I remembered listening to them a few years back and they were solid sludge/death metal

20580 Comments

It's like you blatantly missed the point of this EP when you wrote the review.

if the point was to be really bad then i think i got it

really though, this band just sounds like a worse version of emmure to me. what do you like about it if you dont mind me asking?

their first EP was released last year. you sure youre thinking of the same band?

2019 Comments

I wasn't so I looked it up and I got the band mixed up with one called black tusk.

AtomicShane

shit brings the junz m/

FearThyEvil
May 11th 2014

Ins, I agree. This band makes emmure almost look good.

key word being almost ;)

witchxrapist
May 11th 2014

Also you said that Carnifex is a metal tinge to hardcore?

Damn dude you need to like, get off the internet.

erizen826
May 11th 2014

My god this EP is unbelievably boring. It's like they didn't even try to make something of note. Love the line about Emmure by the way. Made me lol.

ChapelOvGhouls
May 12th 2014

This isn't music its brosic. Thats why this review fails.