The Sisters of Mercy
Floodland

by manosg USER (36 Reviews)
May 9th, 2014 | 31 replies | 1,620 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Sisters of Mercy sophomore effort finds a band completely changed but still in top form.

As with every decade, the ‘80s were an era of musical transformations. Genres such as hard rock and punk slowly declined and were replaced by others including post-punk and gothic rock. Gothic rock was dominated by The Cure, Bauhaus and Joy Division among others that influenced one of the most unique bands of the decade; The Sisters of Mercy.

Led by their iconic vocalist Andrew Eldrich, the Sisters of Mercy released their debut in 1985. First and Last and Always, even though hindered by poor production, left its imprint on gothic rock but at the same time left a band in shambles. Andrew Eldrich parted from the rest of the members and after legal battles with his former bandmates recruited bassist Patricia Morrison and started working on The Sisters of Mercy sophomore effort.

Floodland was released in 1987 and marked only a slight difference in the band’s sound. To begin with, on this album The Sisters of Mercy consist of two members less. Wayne Hussey and Gary Marx left the band leaving all guitar duties on this album to Andrew Eldrich. To make a long story short, Floodland is basically an Eldrich solo album under The Sisters’ moniker whereas First and Last and Always featured contributions by all members but mostly Wayne Hussey and Gary Marx. What’s more, Floodland was recorded with heavy use of sequencers while First and Last and Always featured a more traditional approach. Nevertheless, the two albums share a lot of similarities instrumentally.

The atmosphere is doomy, gloomy and dominated by Eldrich’s characteristic deep baritone voice that communicates despair like only a handful of vocalists. The music can be characterized as a mix of gothic rock and dark wave and those of you who are familiar with Fields of the Nephilim, The Cure and Bauhaus will find various similarities. The drums are handled again by Doktor Avalanche who is none other than The Sisters of Mercy drum machine handled by Andrew Eldrich. However, the difference between Floodland and First and Last and Always lies on lyrics. On this album, Eldrich deals with issues such as personal relationships, society and imperialism. As far as standout tracks are concerned, “Lucretia, My Reflection” is not only the best track of the album but one of the best in The Sisters of Mercy catalogue. “Dominion”, “1959”, “This Corrosion” and “Flood II” are also exceptional songs.

Overall, Floodland may not be as dark, influential or focused as the band’s debut but is still an excellent album with an amazing vocal performance by Andrew Eldrich. Fans of The Cure, Bauhaus or even ‘90s gothic metal will definitely find various elements they enjoy so make sure you give this album a chance.

Nina Simone Pastel BluesNightfall Athenian Echoes
Theatre Of Tragedy AegisAccept Breaker
Toots & The Maytals Funky KingstonThree Seasons Grow

May 9th 2014

OK guys, this is a bit outside my comfort zone but the album needed a review hard.

Full album here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Floodland/248120

Any comment is appreciated.

Digging: Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine I

warlordfun
May 9th 2014

Awesome album, and to tell you the truth this review was a surprise! We need more stuff like this!

warlordfun

Have a pos!

TWIGtheWONDERKID
May 9th 2014

This is a great album, nice review—pos.

Digging: The Evpatoria Report - Maar

@warlordfun
Thanks man! It's been years since I listened to The Sisters of Mercy as much as I do lately and even though I enjoy their debut more, this one didn't have a review so I decided to write one about it.

@TWIGtheWONDERKID
Cheers, agreed.

DominionMM1
May 9th 2014

i'll have to listen to this again. it's been way too long.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - In The Beginning

NeroCorleone80
May 9th 2014

Awesome album and great review too, pos'd. These guys had a big influence on Paradise Lost.

May 9th 2014

Definitely man. You can also listen to their influences on Theatre of Tragedy's Aegis.

NeroCorleone80
May 9th 2014

I'll have to check that then. Cant believe this didnt have a review until now. I actually slightly prefer it to First and Last

May 9th 2014

Aegis is actually an excellent album but it's quite far from the first two albums by Theatre of Tragedy as it's much more gothic than doom.

TheNotrap
May 9th 2014

I only know one or two singles from the album. The band has interesting songs.

Nice review man.

Digging: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

Hep Kat
May 9th 2014

Simon Pegg in the world's end

RoyalImperialGuard
May 9th 2014

First album is better but still rules. Great review/band/etc.

Digging: surrenderdorothy - nobodywantsme

@TheNotrap
Yeah they have very interesting songs. I actually hadn't listened to their albums for quite some time prior to this review but I'm in a gothic/doom mood lately so I'm revisiting stuff.

@RoyalImperialGuard
Agreed man. Andrew Eldrich is an iconic 80s vocalist.

menawati
May 9th 2014

nice rev, nice album, posed

Digging: Hominido - Estirpe Litica

Cheers man!

19738 Comments

good stuff as always mansog! : ]

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

May 9th 2014

Thanks man, appreciate it! This one and especially their debut are excellent albums if you're into a gothic mood. I trust you've listened to "Temple of Love" and "More" by these guys?

19738 Comments

actually, i don't think i've heard anything by these guys :/

I think you'll enjoy,