Tweens

by Joseph Viney STAFF
May 6th, 2014 | 21 replies

Release Date: 04/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Tweenage angst has paid off well

We all know music is serious biznezz. Or at least that’s what we’re told. Or at least that’s what WE tell YOU.

Allow me to let you in on a little secret, dear readers…my random absences on this site tend to come about when that dam of serious music criticism in my mind is about to break; when I’m tired of treating the aural offerings of another random bunch of people with no shortage of awed reverence.

Maybe I’m out of touch. Maybe I’m old and boring. Maybe I’m there already. But after an enforced LIFE EMERGENCY ARGH absence, I bring good tidings.

Tweens, as the sharper minds among you will have already guessed, don’t exactly make music that Rodin’s Thinker would listen to. Rather, they make music how I like my sex: fast, loud and allowing me to wipe half of it from my memory without any real consequences.

It couldn’t be simpler: three people, a real racket and songs about love n’ other squishy things. It’s a child’s approximation of rock and roll, but that doesn’t mean it counts as anything less. It’s the kind of wilful abandon and immature outlook that made a helluva lotta people fall in love with the Ramones all that time ago.

Indeed, lead single “Be Mean” is the stuff of the school playground. Pull the hair of the one you like and vice versa. By the chorus you want to do that 60s thing where you hold your nose and shimmy to the floor. No mean feat for the more miserable people in this world (i.e. me).

If harking back to teenage ennui is your thing then this might just be the record for you. “Bored In The City” captures that itchy, adolescent ‘kicking around my home town’ feel, and will no doubt soundtrack many a highlights package and some bright and colourful music channel.

They continue to mine that vein with “Girlfriend” (love that basic but addictive riff), “McMicken” and “Don’t Wait Up” (basically “leave me alone, mum” in music form).

That’s not to say Tweens are the perfect crew. “Stoner”, an instrumental, is a stark reminder of their limitations as a musical outfit minus those cutesie-poo vocals (but worth a go for the fact you can sing along with to "We Are The Champions"), while “Want U” is just wretched. Really bad.

So don’t rock up to this one expecting some life-changing epoch. Just roll with the punches. Besides, and let’s be honest here, you won’t ever hear from Tweens again after this. Such is the musical cycle.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
Parquet Courts Sunbathing AnimalSKATERS Manhattan

May 6th 2014

aww haha I like this a lot

nice to have you back

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

May 6th 2014

the review, not the album

pretty certain I'd dislike this album

Jom
May 6th 2014

>> Maybe I’m out of touch. Maybe I’m old and boring.

Green Baron

20325 Comments

tweenage angst is hell

- Green Baron

Green Baron

20325 Comments

shit I just realized he used that as the summary first, damn I thought I was the first to make that pun

Electric City
May 6th 2014

viney my god i missed you

TheGreatQ
May 6th 2014

I previewed this on iTunes and it sounds like it will be getting a high rating from me once I listen to it for real.

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

Metalstyles
May 6th 2014

Agreed with Aids, good to have you writing again, you have one of the more unique voices on the site. Not sure this would be my thing, but I'll give that "Bored in the City" track a go and see where that leads me.

Irving

JVINEY IN THE HOUSE

SharkTooth

Fantastic review as always Viney

Digging: Astrokraut - Astrokraut

SlMBOLlC
May 8th 2014

this is actually their band name holy shit

May 8th 2014

Fuck.

good review/good writer/good music

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

menawati

tweenies

menawati
May 10th 2014

i hate you, i wish i could write reviews as fun to read as that

Too many paragraphs

have you ever even read a JViney review? It's not a JViney review without 15 sentences and 13 paragraphs

JViney
May 11th 2014

I'm an actual journalist by day. Hence the style.

May 11th 2014

What do you write for? I'd love to read; your reviews here are some of my favourite

JViney
May 12th 2014

Thank you for the kind words! I write for my city's local 'papers, but due to start with a website writing about arts, design, literature etc. If you have Twitter my handle is @jjviney and I always link my stuff from there.

Omaha
May 15th 2014

Viney actually is one of the columnists for MetalSucks

Digging: Thou - Heathen