De La Soul
Smell The DA.I.S.Y.

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
May 6th, 2014 | 16 replies | 935 views

Release Date: 03/27/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We say "Ain't no Dilla like the one I got"/(No one can do shit better)/His beats held the DNA of hip-hop

In the past few years, I’ve grown pretty attached to TenDJiz’s mashup De La Soulviet, which pairs classic verses from the Plug trio with jazz music from the Soviet Union. It’s because of this album that my waning interest in De La Soul was renewed, for, after a more than a decade of stagnant releases from the group itself, I had something to breathe life into their classic material as well as some of the more recent stuff which, on its own merits, was blasé at best.

It’s been a few years since De La Soulviet, but I’m content, because De La Soul did one of those BitTorrent things, and now the world has been introduced to Smell The DA.I.S.Y., a new tape full of vibrant material produced entirely by the late, great, and completely irreplaceable J Dilla. There’s a reason why I chose a quote from “Goes With The Word,” De La Soul’s tribute to Dilla on this tape, as the summary for this review. “We say ‘Ain’t no Dilla like the one I got'/(No one can do shit better)/His beats held the DNA of hip-hop/And kept it hot like a thermal sweater/You can’t duplicate it, so just leave it alone/Nah, you can’t duplicate the sound boy/He had the universe’s sound, but the D was his home (Motown)"- I thoroughly believe this to be one of the most powerful and impactful sets of rap lyrics I’ve come across in years. It’s unfortunate that on livemixtapes, a popular hip-hop mixtape hosting site that determines popularity of releases by points garnered by up or down voting, while the latest Young Thug tape easily breaks into the thousands, I can’t even say for sure Smell The DA.I.S.Y. has even broken one hundred. Not hatin’ on Thug, even if he is the jackass in Guwop’s stable (obligatory Free Gucci plug [haha get it, “plug”]).

As for the rest of the tape, it’s smoov as hell, to put it simply. Posdnous, expectedly, has most of the attention-grabbing bars, but Dave and Maseo both hold it down with the poise and finesse of veteran craftsman, innovators in their trade. The production is fabulous- my cousin Paul said, upon hearing this for the first time, “J’s beats off the bench are better than most producers’ first-stringers.” It’s a true statement. There are tough-as-nails bass-driven rompers like “Vocabulary Spills,” relaxing jazz-hop, and even a foray into the experimental on the last two tracks (the Marvin Jaye mashup is righteous). Honestly, though, if you weren’t already hooked by the idea of hearing fresh Dilla beats, this isn’t for you.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowFucked Up Year of the Dragon
Rome Fortune Beautiful Pimp IIMaxo Kream Quiccstrikes

link to this tape. I was wrong, it's at 151 :'(

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

SharkTooth
May 6th 2014

Yeah, this thing needed a review, glad to know it was by someone who knows what he's doing
Pos'd

Digging: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony Is a Dead Scene

Deviant.

Still need to peep this

Digging: Banks - Goddess

May 6th 2014

and yea dev you'd dig it, plenty of stuff to love about this one

Pheromone
May 6th 2014

Good review. Just not feeling it ya feel?

Digging: Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X

aw

PappyMason
May 6th 2014

Nice to see a review for this. The tape is pretty enjoyable.

It's also good to see that De La Soul have been pretty active recently. They are legends.

Digging: P. Morris - Debut

Who is Marvin Jaye?

No offense but besides the last paragaph of this review, its no good. Doesn't tell anything about the
album or group besides J Dilla produced this and its better than their past shit. It's cool to
see a dope group getting reviewed, but De La deserves better.

I don't really care though, thanks for showing me this album.

SharkTooth
May 6th 2014

Didn't he rec this to you a long time back?

MisterTornado
May 6th 2014

Saw this and I thought it was some low-key no bullshit techno artist on L.I.E.S. putting out a super
secret debut EP who just happened to name the project De La Soul

zakalwe

Fallin'
JUDGEMENT NIGHT!!!!!

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

LordePots
May 6th 2014

havent been too interested in de la souls newest work but ill check this for 90's sake

Phlegm

d($_$)b

Digging: Yagya - Sleepygirls

May 7th 2014

Actually for a mixtape review this isn't bad at all, I forgot this isn't an lp and wanted to hear some themes and shit.

Deviant.
May 7th 2014

And mixtapes aren't allowed to do that?

May 7th 2014

this isn't as cohesive as their LPs is what I meant