Damon Albarn
Everyday Robots

by Yourcuntingdaughter USER (1 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2014 | 17 replies

Release Date: 04/29/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A very personal effort and a fine achievement

Everyday Robots is Albarn's finest work since his great Monkey: Journey to the West, which he wrote in 2006-07. He has certainly been doing good stuff since then, Plastic Beach, Dr. Dee and The Good, The Bad and The Queen all had great moments (Dr.Dee less so admittedly). However on Robots (which is good enough to merit a nickname) Albarn achieves a level of consistency as well as quality.
Every song on the album is great in it's own way. Some are beautiful, others are fun, some are odd in a colourful, distinctly Albarnesque style. For me, there is a peak in this album. One stand out song which allows the album to briefly soar to the heights of greatness. I'll let you the listener decide what that song is though. ;)
There was a time when I would have said that a work as good as Everyday Robots was an amazing achievement for a man in his mid forties whose 'peak' years are arguably behind him. However I no longer believe that age is a major factor in creating great music in the Western popular music tradition. I think there are several practical reasons Albarn is still able to create great music. He believes he can, he still has the desire to do so, he is not nostalgic for his past achievements, he is constantly developing as a musician and he works very hard and with great consistency.
There is one aspect of Robots which is quite remarkable: This is Albarn's first autobiographical work in over a decade. While most artists write songs about themselves or bull*** lyrics that don't mean anything, Albarn has managed to spend a decade of an amazing musical career not writing about himself. With Everyday Robots he creates a very personal reflection on his own life which actually carries weight.
Appropriately, everything on the Album (with the exception of some guest vocals and percussion) was written and recorded by Albarn himself. He was also involved in the production of all tracks.

* A previous reviewer indicated that this album was made 'in conjunction' with Brian Eno. This is not true. Eno's contribution does not extend beyond guest production on two tracks (which also feature two other producers including Albarn himself).

RivalSkoomaDealer (3.5)
With Everyday Robots, Albarn has finally decided to step out of the shadows and deliver his most per...

jordan. CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
Whatever makes you happy on a Saturday Night...

May 2nd 2014

I'm pretty sure Eno had co-production credit on the whole album

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

May 2nd 2014

I don't like making negative comments about other people's reviews if we've both done one for an album but I've got to make an exception here. You have some pretty appalling formatting, arrant use of spacing and capitalization, a useless emoticon and you don't actually describe the music too much (if at all).

And that final disclaimer shouldn't be in with the review, it adds nothing

your username implies you're 12

NorthernSkylark
May 2nd 2014

If you're not gonna walk the reader through the album, why even write this "review"?
I don't know any more going out than I did going in, and you didn't even mention one song from his new 4.0 album (according to you). Also, your name and the use of emoticons [2] reveal that this critique is probably futile.

Digging: Polvo - Today's Active Lifestyles

May 2nd 2014

I'll let you the listener decide what that song is though.
;)

talk me through the process of how you thought this read like intelligent criticism, yourcuntingdaughter

Yourcuntingdaughter

@Arcade

Eno co-produced two songs on the album. For further details:

If my name bothers you that much please let me know how to change it and I will do so.

I agree the spacing is poor. I am not used to the format on this website and this was my first
review. I spaced out the beginning sentences of each new paragraph but this was lost when the piece
was published.

All use of capitals in the review are correct.

I feel the note at the end is necessary to clear up any misconceptions about the album. This is a
solo work. Suggesting it was made 'in conjunction' with Brian Eno places it in a false context.

@NorthernSkylark

My intention was not to give a walk through or to go into detail about the songs. I wanted to put
the album in the context of Albarn's career and give my estimate of how good the album is given that
context. If you want to know more about the album I suggest you listen to it. My job is to tell you
if the album is worth listening to or not.

Any further criticisms are greatly appreciated.

'Album' isn't capitalized

It doesn't offend but I severely doubt that anyone called "Yourcuntingdaughter" will ever have 'contributing reviewer' under their name

ItsJoel

Review is iffy.

RivalSkoomaDealer
May 2nd 2014

First positive review for the album and it sucks.

I really didn't want to do have to write a review for this but if somebody doesn't step up to the plate...

Digging: Old Man Gloom - The Ape of God II

Rastapunk
May 2nd 2014

First review guys, be nice. I think you need to have a look at other reviews and see how they do it, that's how I learned .

But yeah I won't pos (and won't neg since it's your first) but you need to improve on structure. Have a good introduction, a good overview of the album and then go into details on songs that deserve it and then a conclusion. Separate your paragraphs too .

Keep on writing and reading other reviews!

Omaha
May 2nd 2014

Jesus, guys- this is a fairly decent first review to be fair. OP: note the criticisms the others have brought up, but don't take them personally. It's nice to finally see a positive review for this, I may have to check it out

LilLioness
May 2nd 2014

I get the feeling people are trashing this just because of who it is.

NorthernSkylark
May 2nd 2014

Nah, this is just not a good review of the album. If it was merely a blog or something I would have said that it's probably alright, though.

May 2nd 2014

The way I see it, this just doesn't read very professionally nor does it seem highly informative. The problems with formatting,
structure and what not are highly distracting and difficult to wrap my eyes around.

That's not to claim I think I reviewed this better or that i think your opinion is wrong, you just didn't make a very good case for
why you thought this album was good and people should listen to it.

Jasdevi087
May 3rd 2014

Some of your soundoffs are better than this review sorry.

Digging: Shapeshifter - The System Is A Vampire

LilLioness
May 3rd 2014

No, I meant I think people are trashing the album just because of who it is. Sput seems to have taken a set against Damon Albarn.

menawati
May 3rd 2014

well, sput is pretty meme centric yeh

Digging: H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft II