John Frusciante
Enclosure

2.0
poor

by Dan H. CONTRIBUTOR (55 Reviews)
April 26th, 2014 | 111 replies

Release Date: 04/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An unfulfilling conclusion.

By looking at his albums chronologically since The Empyrean, you can see that a release as arcane as Enclosure has been increasingly inevitable. Judging by the snippets of interviews and posts on his website it was both necessary and fitting for John Frusciante to bookend his journey into electronic music by crafting his most left field album to date, with Enclosure acting as “the achievement of all the musical goals I had been aiming at for the previous 5 years.” EP Letur-Lefr was bright and bubbly, accurately capturing the feelings of joy one might associate with grasping the basics of a musical instrument for the first time, while full length successor PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone was a more obscure affair; balancing the winsome spirit of Letur-Lefr with the esoteric nature of acid and electronic music. Whilst Enclosure was undoubtedly the logical finale to Frusciante’s electronic adventure it isn’t a satisfying one, and the special ingredient which permeates all of his previous work is frustratingly absent here.

Now there is something to be admired in a man who refuses to play it safe, after all, just where do you go after releasing four albums in a year and following it up with a progressive rock masterpiece? John Frusciante chose to lay down his guitar and delve into the obscure, to become pupil rather than master once more and experiment with a whole new world of sounds previously unavailable to him. For the notion alone he should be lauded, but the execution of these ideas over the past 5 years has been surprisingly lacklustre, and by once again failing to control the delicate tug-of-war between guitar and keyboard, much of Enclosure falls short.

Regardless of the style of music he’s played Frusciante has always crafted moments of great beauty which stir, like the second half of “Central,” the smooth back and forth on “Omission,” the organic “Murderers” or the ethereal “In My Light.” Those emotional heights are never scaled here, and though he does come close to brilliance a couple of times – most notably on “Sleep” and album closer “Scratch,” Enclosure is a largely tepid affair. Scattered drumbeats which create uneasy atmospheres are paired with synth lines which perpetuate them, and this combination is used excessively throughout. Serving only to stem any flow the songs build, they curb almost any memorable moments in the process. Where choirs were used to great effect on both Letur-Lefr and PBX, they fail to evoke anything when utilized on “Fanfare” by hiding too low in the mix, whilst his usually strong instrumental tracks also come up short, as despite its layers “Cinch” feels utterly flat.

Enclosure is a bland, unfulfilling conclusion to an ambitious learning curve, and it’s an album which all too often reminds you of just how brilliant and efficacious Frusciante can be as a musician - but never because of its own greatness.

Rare Monk Sleep/AttackBasement Further Sky
Ben Howard I Forget Where We WereFACT Witness
Willis Earl Beal Acousmatic SorceryInterpol El Pintor
2.8
good

VheissuCrisis
April 26th 2014

Very rarely write negative reviews and its a shame one of them had to be on Frusciante, but this is really boring.

Digging: August Burns Red - Rescue and Restore

April 26th 2014

Damn I was supposed to review this as a favour for Rowan, I feel slack now.

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

Omaha
April 26th 2014

At least this is better than Outsides

Digging: Thou - Heathen

aircycle

FourthReich

i refuse to jam this and im the 2nd biggest froosh fan on this site

rip froosh

May 5th 2014

"Damn I was supposed to review this as a favour for Rowan, I feel slack now."
you fucker Jac

Digging: Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

May 5th 2014

it's cool jac dan is a froosher from way back and a fucking good dude and writer

Fantastic review but Jac promised

May 5th 2014

dunno why people sayin this don't have much guitar it actually has heaps he just plays from the brain not the heart and it sounds like some soulless ass robert fripp shite

May 5th 2014

I don't remember a single second of this

May 5th 2014

Should listen but I wanna hear his best stuff first

May 5th 2014

this is the opposite of essential yea

May 5th 2014

Jammin Curtains right now it's some pleasant stuff

Shadows Collide Jac yeah

if by pleasant you mean 5/5 classic then agreed

Curtains is a solid 4

May 5th 2014

Figured I'd go with the 33 minute album just to get a feel for the guy's sound it's pre sweet so far I like his voice

May 5th 2014

That's album's pretty different to anything else he's done solo but swee yeah his voice rules

anne and time tonight are 7/5