KMFDM
Kunst

by KevinKC USER (9 Reviews)
April 25th, 2014 | 13 replies | 909 views

Release Date: 02/26/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: KMFDM releasing an album just because it's been two years since WTF?!

Although 2009 “Blitz” was far from being a bad album, KMFDM somewhat surprised with “WTF?!” Without changing their recipe, the band had managed to craft songs which felt truly inspired. Some heady melodies, nice heavy riffs, good choruses, some beautiful surprises and very few faults made the album unexpectedly solid. What it didn’t do was hint at a relevant change in the band’s approach. “WTF?!” might have been KMFDM at their best since their reformation, it still wasn’t anything groundbreaking for Sascha’s guys. What could then be feared from “Kunst” was an album which would just prove that the quality of “WTF?!” was some sort of accident.

Sadly, “Kunst” feels exactly like a counterweight to “WTF?!” Even if the album has its moments, the songs are often sunk by annoying details, flaws and lack of originality. The first track manages to be an agreeable listen but the lyrics being made of songs titles off the band’s repertoire, it can also easily make the listener cringe. Like “Ave Maria,” “Quake” and “Animal Out,” It is one of the better songs which unfortunately feel like the band has already written them before.

As often, the middle section of the album hides its weaker moments, except that this time, the quality of the songs which open the album isn’t that high either and that it drops sooner than usual. So, if “Kunst”, “Ave Maria” and “Quake” are still fun, the four following tracks are ruined by some horrible vocals (by Lucia Or Sasha), generic riffing, atrocious repetitivity (KMFDM is often repetitive but usually they repeat something that is not already disagreeable at first listen), languidity, and painful lack of inspiration.

“Kunst” would have been an entire trip in total averageness if it wasn’t for its last two tracks “The Mess You made” and “I heart not.” The intervention of J. Strauss on “The Mess You Made” is enough to make it a breeze of fresh air on the album and in the band’s repertoire, as for “I heart not” it is another “Sasha only” closer and as such it is mainly electronic but simply it works very well (a lot better than its remixed version on the Amnesia EP). Contrary to most of the songs on the album these last two convey the feeling that they have a reason to be, they do not feel like a forced rehash of the past and thus do not need to be outstanding to be very enjoyable.

Truly, “Kunst” is a sad album. The slightly heavier and darker atmosphere that the band had developed on “WTF?!” is still there (W.Wilson and J.Strauss featurings help a lot on that matter) but quality or inspiration isn’t anymore. It is a frustrating listen and it leaves the listener wishing that for once, the band had waited a bit more and trimmed "Kunst" of some of its weaker moments instead of releasing something disappointing.

Apartment 26 Music For The MassiveKMFDM XTORT
KMFDM WTF?!KMFDM Angst
KMFDM KriegKMFDM WWIII
3.3
Alex Beebe (3.5)
Industrial dance music as boisterous as one could want it, even if some of the sounds are a bit over...

WTF?!

Krieg

Blitz

Tohuvahobu
recommended by reviewer
KMFDM WTF?!
Pendulum In Silico

April 25th 2014

You gave XTORT a 3 and WWIII a 4?

I'm sorry but you fail at KMFDM

April 26th 2014

who cares the band has never released anything worth a shit

Digging: B-Ju - Merianplatz

April 26th 2014

disappointed Pots :[ they've had like six amazing albums and several good ones

tbh i've only listened to like 5 of their albums im just blowing butt smoke

but ive found all of there stuff kind of the exact kind of industrial i don't like

kevin bro

chill the fuck out

its a review dude

April 26th 2014

kmfdm has never really been that good as is

that said ive never honestly liked industrial

April 26th 2014

Y'see I much prefer industrial being ten-tonne pop/dance music

rather than self-pitying Reznor "my soul is full of rusty nails" cwap

April 26th 2014

nin was cool but they sort of faded away in coolness post-fragile, and fragile had just as much shit as it did good stuff (and when fragile had good stuff, oh boy)

with teeth was pretty good

no comment

April 26th 2014

NIN discog is a pretty even mix of greatness and rubbish tbh

i like most of it

KevinKC
April 26th 2014

I'm harsh with "xtort" because it's overrated and I'm broad minded with "WWIII" because it's the album that got me into KMFDM and it is underrated. "WWIII" was a very good surprise for me when I discovered it, "Xtort" (which I heard just after "Angst" and "Nihil") was a disappointement. If it makes me fail at KMFDM then I'll try again later. (Actually, I gave "Xtort" a 3 in my review but a 3.5 in my ratings, I like the album).