SOHN
Tremors

good

by Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (103 Reviews)
April 24th, 2014 | 27 replies

Release Date: 04/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Neutered promise.

To address the lukewarm corpse of Tremors' hype, retrospect helps us see why certain music "journalists" who were definitely not me were mistaken in predicting BANKS-producer SOHN as the biggest thing to look out for in 2014. Most of the signs were there: forward facing, RnB-inspired pop, slippery smooth production and enough Soundcloud followers to populate Trinidad and Tobago (seriously, over a million), but so far SOHN has made do with a trickle of the success he would have been justified in expecting. Somehow it just failed to kick off. Poor SOHN.

Perhaps it's all down to the name, which stunted any word-of-mouth advertisement because shouting one word of a sentence is frowned upon. It's certainly not the music outright. SOHN builds on the short legacy of James Blake et al. to offer his own quirk on self-produced indie/ RnB/ electronic pop: marrying his above-passable falsetto with more experimental yet still comfortably sensitive beats. Overall Tremors is a very pleasant and hard to fault experience, with the vocal melody of “The Wheel” and blaring horns in the title track taking on the Goldilocks trait of not being too popy or too experimental. Instead settling in to a happy medium.

Sadly for him, music is listened to by more people than Goldilocks and neither daddy, mummy or baby bear are entirely satisfied. Despite the obvious attempts to reach out for his own style, SOHN's clean and slightly over-clinical production has the effect of sapping away a lot of what he hoped to gain with experimentation. It leaves a whole roster of great pop tunes to a sterile and robotic afterlife. For instance, listening to "Lights" is like facing the sun and not feeling any heat, and acknowledging a good song but not reacting is quite disconcerting. At the same time, SOHN takes his music too seriously to pander to the more experiment-averse crowd, which leaves him stuck in the middle: awkwardly shuffling his feet in the shy, Woody Harrelson-lookalike manner of his promo photo.

It isn't all doom and gloom. This over-engineered collection might only survive multiple listens with all the charm of your doctor's waiting room, but it still manages to be interesting, recommendable and, above all else, very listenable. SOHN is simply unfortunate in entering a genre already dominated by a few accomplished and unique artists, and finds his meticulous approach lacking the excitement brought by those before him.

Throwing Snow MosaicA Winged Victory for the Sullen Atomos VII
Plinth (UK) Music For Smalls LighthouseThe Correspondents Puppet Loosely Strung
Son Lux Alternate WorldsNicholas Szczepanik Not Knowing
Jacob R. STAFF (3.8)
And when the votes are made, I might make a mark...

Fiesty, enit

The Wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslPYSm7jfg

fish.

21966 Comments

recommended artists/similar artists/album artwork intrigue me

April 24th 2014

Fuck I was close to reviewing this

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

osmark86
April 24th 2014

I thought this was a pretty solid album meself. don't really care about the hype or whatnot surrounding it (in fact I completely missed it). I agree that the production is a tad too glossy and it probably would've sounded better a little rawer. I believe he can produce something even better next time though, so I'll be looking out for whenever that drops.

Digging: Schammasch - Contradiction

fish.

21966 Comments

that song you linked does not intrigue me, however

April 24th 2014

mmm yeah, he's definitely got a much better album inside him.

You can still review it Jacob, or do you not want to show me up? :P

osmark86
April 24th 2014

try Ransom Notes. I really liked that one personally.

that was short-lived, then

April 24th 2014

If I do write on this, it'll have to be kind of a more adventurous review for me since you covered more of the technical details (which are kinda hard for me to write about sometimes)

I'll make sure this gets featured tho, you did a good job with it :3

woop woop

Funeralopolis
April 24th 2014

album is pretty enjoyable but nothing much else

Digging: Black Milk - No Poison No Paradise

zxlkho
April 24th 2014

I actually enjoyed this album a lot. I was surprised.

Nikkolae
April 24th 2014

i mean, you make it sound like this is really dissapointing but having heard none of the hype i gotta say this is pretty great dunno what u on bout m8

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

zakalwe
April 24th 2014

He should have called the album graboids.

sorry bruv

Fuff24
April 25th 2014

"awkwardly shuffling his feet in the shy, Woody Harrison-lookalike manner of his promo photo."

Shouldn't this be "Woody Harrelson"?

kingsoby1
April 25th 2014

if you like this, check out the new lo-fang record it is way more interesting

NinoKuni
April 25th 2014

I haven't heard this entire thing yet (though I am convinced it's at least good based on "The Wheel" and the reviews I've read), but kingsoby1 is right about that Lo-Fang debut, it is very good.

This is probably the best review of Tremors I've read so far

April 25th 2014

Hah, thanks (: (It's the only review, isn't it?)

Shouldn't this be "Woody Harrelson"?

Well... fuck. Thanks for letting me know.