The Seer
Prologue

by Thatoneguy335 USER (1 Reviews)
April 23rd, 2014 | 11 replies

Release Date: 04/10/2014 | Tracklist

Two days ago I had never heard of The Seer. While scrolling through a very long list of metal bands their album art caught my eye. Figuring that was as good a reason as any to give one of those random bands a shot I went ahead and took a listen, and I couldn't be happier that I did.

Symphonic death metal juggles a lot of different sounds, a lot of focus goes into the use of keys and so on to create a very obvious and stand out atmosphere on each track. The members of The Seer are a very talented bunch, Prologue may be their debut album but they sure as hell don't play like rookies. They blend the symphonic elements with their primary instruments superbly and the resulting sound is as ferocious as it is beautiful.

The Seer put everything they've got on display on the first two tracks of the album. After a lovely 50 second intro track that does a good job of setting the mood we dive into the blazing guitar riffs and blast beats of The Fall. This is a strong track to really get rolling with and is one of the better tracks on the album. The guitar work is fantastic we get the first of several massive guitar solos that the album has to offer. The vocals are enjoyable, they pack a good punch and have just enough variation to remain appealing throughout the album. Though the drum work certainly isn't slacking here, it isn't until later tracks that the man behind the kit really gets to shine.

It's always nice to hear a band go all out on an album. Sure it may be a little overwhelming at times, but you can tell there's passion here. There is no slacking, no filler tracks, each member plays the *** out of their instrument as if their lives depend on it. The drum work, while standard for the genre in many ways, is a joy to listen to. Being that this is death metal it's a given that he's got some serious speed and blasts aplenty, but he never goes on double bass/blast autopilot. There are plenty of great fills and the playing in general has a healthy amount of diversity. All that being said, the real standout of the album is the lead guitarist. This guy is a shredder, he has a lot of great moments throughout the album, tons of solid leads and several really great ones, and then there's the solos... There are quite a few of them, and they all kick a ton of ass. These aren't just "hey look what I can do" solos either, impressive as they are the best thing about them is how well placed they are and how much they add to the tracks they take place in.

I'm far from an expert on the genre, but I can't say that I would ask for a whole lot more than what these guys have delivered here, except maybe refinement. Passion, diversity, and obvious talent are on on full display here, but it isn't perfect. Some tracks drag just a little bit. Some ideas, while not bad, just don't pay off quite the way the band intended. There's always room for improvement. Still, this is a hell of a first release that's worth a listen.

Thatoneguy335
April 22nd 2014

First review, and to be honest I didn't really feel like doing it. But considering the fact that
this
band was getting little to no exposure on the site and I really enjoyed this I felt like it deserved
a
review, even if it is a mediocre one.

I was half asleep for some of the writing so there's sure to be mistakes.

Whole album stream here.

Voivod
April 23rd 2014

Very well written review, especially for a first, pos.

Digging: Aeon Sable - Visionaers

EvoHavok
April 23rd 2014

I was scrolling through some new releases and their artwork caught my eye too. Then, I was pleasantly surprised by the actual music.

Digging: At the Gates - At War with Reality

SnakeDelilah
April 23rd 2014

thought this was swans for a second

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Wizard

19513 Comments

Did they name themselves after a Swan album?

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

TooLateToGoBack

thought this was swans for a second [2]

Kusangii
April 23rd 2014

Definitely going to check this out, Wasteland has probably THE best solo I've ever heard. Nice review too.

LordePots
April 23rd 2014

this looks like the worst

Digging: Kitty Pryde - Impatiens

titanslayer
April 23rd 2014

If this is anything like septicflesh it might be good
If this is anything like mechina it'll suck
If it is anything like fleshgod then it'll be okay

Kusangii
April 24th 2014

^ It doesn't really sound like any of the bands you mentioned imo. Maybe a little bit like Septicflesh, but not that much.

This rules as expected, the solos are spectacular!

titanslayer