Molecular Corporation
Ambient Sputnik and The Dancing Government

good

by Nash J. CONTRIBUTOR (39 Reviews)
April 17th, 2014 | 160 replies

Release Date: 04/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Each one of us have a “happy place.” Whether it is an actual location or simply a state of mind, “happy places” provide temporary mental escapism from the harshness of reality. For some, this place may be a nearby ice cream parlor. For others, this place may be found inside a faded memory from his or her childhood. As for me, my “happy place,” goes by the name of Sputnikmusic.com; a humble, relatively-unknown music reviewing website. Since writing reviews and discovering new music were to be expected, what struck me most about this website was how active and diverse its community was. Everyone on the site has completely different taste and is genuinely passionate about the types of music they enjoy. With that being said, it came as no surprise to learn that Sputnikmusic.com is crawling with dozens of young musicians who are anxious to share their work with others.

In all honesty, although quite a few are, not every musician on the site is particularly talented, nor even very creative. However, each one of the site’s musicians possess such undeniable passion for music, and are dedicated beyond belief to ensuring that their voice is heard. Due to this, it is difficult not to enjoy hearing and supporting these people’s musical endeavors. Perhaps this is why Ambient Sputnik and the Dancing Government, a compilation of tracks produced by Sputnikmusic.com musicians, is such an entertaining listen despite its numerous flaws.

At first glance, Ambient Sputnik and the Dancing Government appears to be a complete mess. In truth, its messy appearance is due to the album being touted as the debut LP by Molecular Corporation; a “band” fronted by Sputnikmusic.com user Frippertronics. When viewed as an LP, this album fails miserably on every conceivable level. For one, there is no consistency whatsoever in the album’s tone, sound quality, genre, etc. In fact, arguments can easily be made in favor of Ambient Sputnik being the most disjointed album ever released. Each track is entirely different from one another; there is absolutely no sense of flow or cohesion between songs. This is detrimental to enjoying the album as a whole, and becomes apparent quite early on when the subdued, lo-fi, acoustic guitar solo "Grundler Deceiver" is immediately followed by a professional-sounding experimental hip-hop track, "Murder and Death In Satan’s Courtroom (Part II)," without reason. Such instances appear frequently over the course of the album, causing one to believe that no thought or effort was put into organizing the tracks. In addition to its disjointed nature, the mere size of the album is enough to scare off potential listeners. With twenty-nine tracks clocking in at over two hours in total length, Ambient Sputnik is near-impossible to finish in one sitting without fear of permanent hearing loss. Although it bears the name Molecular Corporation and is therefore to be thought of as an LP, viewing this album as such is the wrong way to go; a perfect example of an album in which the sum of its parts are greater than the whole.

Regardless of its obvious faults, Ambient Sputnik is still an overall success and rarely ceases to be an interesting listen. As previously mentioned, the community of artists on Sputnikmusic.com are, for the most part, some of the most dedicated and passionate young musicians one may ever meet. Despite varying levels of musical talent and skill per artist, each track offers something completely unique and different from the last. The variety on this album is jaw-dropping, and is able to capture the listener’s attention and hold most of it throughout the album's two hour running time. Unless one is already familiar with the artists' work beforehand, there is no possible way of knowing what to expect from the next track. From the disturbing, yet humorous drone opener “Dronzertronics,” to the acoustic doodling of “F*** Off, Get Weed, Kelsey’s My Everything,” to the furious, industrial pounding of “Sleepyhead,” to the lullaby-like penultimate track “The Eyes That Tell the Story (Prelude),” Ambient Sputnik is bound to keep the listener constantly guessing. This is not to say that this album does not have definite weak points, however. While no song in particular was outright terrible, some of the album’s tracks occasionally seem rushed or thrown together without revision. Although seldom and unpredictable, these displays of sloppiness are the album’s greatest weakness and severely detract from the listening experience more than anything else. With the exception of these instances, however, most tracks remain entertaining from start to finish.

The enjoyment one gets out of Ambient Sputnik is bound to vary from person to person. It can viewed either as a masive failure of epic proportions or as a modest success. I believe this album is the latter. However, in order to enjoy this album to the fullest extent, one must first realize that this is not an LP, and Molecular Corporation are not a band. This album is a success solely because of what it truly is: a compilation; a comprehensive collection of talented, creative, enthusiastic, and committed musicians who play music simply because they have fun doing so. The nature of the musicians alone make this worth a listen.

In the liner notes for the album, which are available upon download, the tracks are listed along with the names (or usernames, if you will) of their respective composers. For many up-and-coming musicians on Sputnikmusic.com, Ambient Sputnik and the Dancing Government was their first chance to shine. After listening to this, one thing is clear: it sure as hell won’t be their last.

Myrkur MyrkurxSPONGEXCOREx How Tough Are Yah?
Dead Can Dance Into the LabyrinthSaor Aura
The Phantom Band Strange FriendThe Night Watch The Night Watch
3.1
good
ZombicidalMan (2.5)
It’s less akin to “Apocalypse Now” and more like “Waterworld”....

TomArnoldsArmpit
April 17th 2014

yeeeeeeee. glad I submitted a track, nice work fellas

April 17th 2014

Sputnik has truly outdone itself this time, be sure to give this a listen, if not for the music itself
then at least for the sheer novelty of it. And yes I do have one song on this album, however I did not
factor my song into this review whatsoever and it did not affect my score. I hope you will see past it
and enjoy the read, feedback is welcome as always.

Digging: Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty

fromtheinside

aren't you on this???

nvm, thanks for making me look like a buffoon judio!

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

April 17th 2014

Yeah I'm on one track but it's a two hour release and it was a four-minute song, didn't at all affect
how I feel about this album. If anything my track is one of the lesser tracks on here.

EDIT: It's all good FTI you're my bufoon :]

April 17th 2014

i hope theres no rap on this!

Rap=crap!

dimsim3478

^check out "Damage"

Digging: Little Big League - These Are Good People

lol is this ICP

is 10 meat ?

Phlegm
April 17th 2014

I need a chick on the back 2 ride thru this island wit!

Digging: Croatian Amor - Genitalia Garden

so many questions! x)

Phlegm

omg is 11 about me? =D

osmark86
April 17th 2014

29 tracks of boss. listening right now.

Digging: Schammasch - Contradiction

April 17th 2014

Reviewing an album with your own track on it lol

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

April 17th 2014

Was only proper I should review this, given that my track was the best tbh imo tbh and this would be a
1 without it. My 4 minutes > the 116 remaining minutes obviously.

lol go Judio!

April 17th 2014

Why didn't you submit anything, Pleb? This album seriously needed some Exhumation on it! m/

April 17th 2014

Rather get some decent production on the tracks before I 'release' anything tbh, we still can't settle on a sound yet either.

April 17th 2014

Fair point. Still waiting on that debut of yours though, better be worth the wait I swear to god.

April 17th 2014

Haha, well considering we have 6 tracks boxed off and I think the running time for those tracks adds up to 38-40 minutes, hope you're ready for prog! :p